Author Topic: Technical browswer question  (Read 2793 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Technical browswer question
« Topic Start: September 19, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »
At home I'm having problems in that the forum doesn't recognize what posts I've already read.  I'll read some posts, click refresh, and they are still highlighted as being "new".  At work I don't have the problem, so I'm thinking it's an internet option that I need to alter so that the Forum knows me better.

Any suggestions?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Technical browswer question
« Reply #1: September 24, 2007, 08:43:13 PM »
Bump to see if anybody has a clue.  As another symptom, when I log on at home, it flags posts as unread that I had already read while at work.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: September 24, 2007, 09:02:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've got the board set up so that that kind of thing is session-based and not cookie-based, but I could be wrong, and what you're describing sounds like a cookie problem.  I'll take a look at the board settings and see if I can find anything.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: September 24, 2007, 10:04:48 PM »
Normally these forums keep track of that info on the server side.  But, it does almost sound like a cookie problem.

These are the only cookies I show for this page:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: September 25, 2007, 09:42:48 AM »
In the effort to make myself more clear,

When I am at work, everything works great.  I read a thread, hit refresh, and all the little blue unread flags disappear. 

I go home, and they all reappear, giving me no credit for threads read from my other machine.  Worse, I start reading threads and hit refresh, and they don't update.  So my home machine is not registering somehow with the forum.  I have AOL, and recently had to reload the software, so I suspect it is a security setting or some such technical thing.  I have added wnff as a "trusted" site, to no avail.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #5: September 25, 2007, 09:56:30 AM »
In the effort to make myself more clear,

When I am at work, everything works great.  I read a thread, hit refresh, and all the little blue unread flags disappear. 

I go home, and they all reappear, giving me no credit for threads read from my other machine.  Worse, I start reading threads and hit refresh, and they don't update.  So my home machine is not registering somehow with the forum.  I have AOL, and recently had to reload the software, so I suspect it is a security setting or some such technical thing.  I have added wnff as a "trusted" site, to no avail.

Which browser are you using at home?  It's beginning to sound more like a problem with the cache and it not updating fully from WNFF, and instead displaying info from the cache.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: September 25, 2007, 10:04:57 AM »
AOL is built around Internet Explorer.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #7: September 25, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »
I'm not familiar with AOL, but in IE 7, you can clear the cache by going to Tools>Internet Options. 

* In the General Tab, click on the Delete button in the Browsing History section.  This will open the Delete Browsing History window.

* In the Delete Browsing History Window, in the Temporary Internet Files section, click the Delete Files button.  You will be asked if you are sure you want to do this.  Click the Yes button an it will clear out the cache - this can take several seconds.

* Close the Delete Browsing History Window.

* Back in the General Tab, click on the Settings button in the Browsing History section.  Here you can change your settings for how often IE will check for new pages rather than reading from cache.  It's default is Automatic.  If that doesn't work, you may want to try Every Time I Visit the Webpage.  It may slow down the loading of some pages by a small, nearly imperceptible amount while it checks for the updates, but it will be worth it.

I hope this works.  I don't know if the AOL wrapper will interfere with IE, and, if so, how it may change the options.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: September 25, 2007, 10:55:05 AM »
My best advice would be to install Firefox or just use plain IE (not the AOL browser)...  you don't have to use the AOL browser once you're connected unless things have changed since the last time I tried AOL.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: September 25, 2007, 11:11:52 AM »
My best advice would be to install Firefox or just use plain IE (not the AOL browser)...  you don't have to use the AOL browser once you're connected unless things have changed since the last time I tried AOL.

YOu're right, you don't have to use AOL, I'm just in the habit of it cause I check mails first.  I'll try this tonight, and if it fails, try Natsaddict's ideas.  Thanks both of you.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: September 25, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
YOu're right, you don't have to use AOL, I'm just in the habit of it cause I check mails first.  I'll try this tonight, and if it fails, try Natsaddict's ideas.  Thanks both of you.

I mean if you want to use the AOL browser then by all means, I just want to see if we can narrow down the scope of the problem, and trying another browser should help with that.