Author Topic: Pulaski Nationals???  (Read 1547 times)

Offline charliec107

Pulaski Nationals???
« Topic Start: August 16, 2007, 10:38:50 PM »
Has anyone heard of a possible Appy League affiliation for 2008?  Wikipedia seems to think so, but I haven't seen anything official.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_League

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Pulaski Nationals???
« Reply #1: August 17, 2007, 11:29:22 AM »
Wikipedia isn't much more than a glorified blog.  Also, the entry regarding the Nationals currently having a team in Pulaski is completely false.  It is indeed a 9-team league this year.

Lee Landers, the league president, is/has been in talks (at least as of last February) with the Mexican league and the Mariners for a team in 2008.  However, the Pulaksi government was insisting that whoever moves reimburse the city for something like $5 million for recent renovations (about 5 or 6 times more than Calfee Stadium is worth) and then pay rent.  That's quite a hefty load for a rookie league team, and the Mariners essentially had told the Appy League that if they did provide a team, it would not be in Pulaski.  Until Pulaski comes to its senses, I doubt anybody is going to play there.

« Reply #2: August 19, 2007, 06:20:30 PM »
We had a thread about this a month or two ago.  There are a lot of positives to Pulaski but there are a bunch of negatives to such a move as well.

If I get the time, I will try to find the thread and post a link or maybe one of the many good fellows here might come upon it and post it.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #3: August 24, 2007, 08:08:54 AM »
Wikipedia isn't much more than a glorified blog.  Also, the entry regarding the Nationals currently having a team in Pulaski is completely false.  It is indeed a 9-team league this year.

Lee Landers, the league president, is/has been in talks (at least as of last February) with the Mexican league and the Mariners for a team in 2008.  However, the Pulaksi government was insisting that whoever moves reimburse the city for something like $5 million for recent renovations (about 5 or 6 times more than Calfee Stadium is worth) and then pay rent.  That's quite a hefty load for a rookie league team, and the Mariners essentially had told the Appy League that if they did provide a team, it would not be in Pulaski.  Until Pulaski comes to its senses, I doubt anybody is going to play there.

actually, there was a brief moment in time when the Nats were actually considering Pulaski, before they decided to stay in Vermont. I think we discussed that here, I swear I remember 2k6Nats almost having a fit over the prospect of the Nats leaving Vermont.

but of course, it didn't work out for whatever reason, and we stayed in Vermont.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #4: August 24, 2007, 10:09:04 AM »
actually, there was a brief moment in time when the Nats were actually considering Pulaski, before they decided to stay in Vermont. I think we discussed that here, I swear I remember 2k6Nats almost having a fit over the prospect of the Nats leaving Vermont.

but of course, it didn't work out for whatever reason, and we stayed in Vermont.

That was me.  I wouldn't classify it as a "fit", but...yeah :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: August 28, 2007, 02:03:01 PM »

Vermont is NY-Penn League. Short season, good for college draft picks and promotions from GCL. The GCL Nats (who play in our spring training stadium, possibly for free) would either be moved to Pulsaki or a new team would be started there, as I understand it.

« Reply #6: August 28, 2007, 05:51:51 PM »
Here is the other thread on the subject from awhile ago:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,4378.0.html