Author Topic: Urgent MD traffic assistance needed!! Please respond!  (Read 2531 times)

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
Okay, MD Nat fans....after sitting for 30-40 minutes on 395 yesterday while the first inning was going on, treying to get into Lot 8, this Richmond, VA Nat fan is looking for some help.

Would it be better for me to take Rt. 301 to Branch Avenue, to Capiol View, and then head west to RFK?

I am thning I would be going against the grain on Branch ave traffic-wise, although I 'm not so sure of this once you get closer in to the city...might be hell on a Friday night.

Anyone have any suggestions???  Thanks, and Go Nats!

DCOrange

If I were you, I'd leave my car at the closest Metro station and just take the orange or blue line to Stadium/Armory. I don't get down there often, but I'm guessing... Vienna/Springfield?

Just thought I'd edit a little more into this -- if you pick up the train at V/S, you'll be able to get on the first car, which is the one you want. And when you leave the ballpark, go PAST the mob waiting at the station entrance closest to  RFK and enter at the DC General end.

Best of luck. Go Nats.

Offline esoteric

Quote from: "DCOrange"
If I were you, I'd leave my car at the closest Metro station and just take the orange or blue line to Stadium/Armory. I don't get down there often, but I'm guessing... Vienna/Springfield?

Just thought I'd edit a little more into this -- if you pick up the train at V/S, you'll be able to get on the first car, which is the one you want. And when you leave the ballpark, go PAST the mob waiting at the station entrance closest to  RFK and enter at the DC General end.

Best of luck. Go Nats.

This advice needs to be reiterated: do not bother trying to enter RFK from the main gates.  Instead, when you get to the stadium, turn right, walk down the stairs (you pass through a chainlink fence) and walk to the entrance down there.  It's only 70 feet away, and it's always an empty gate!

Offline deeznatz

Quote from: "DCOrange"

Best of luck. Go Nats.

Wait...there is another entrance to the Stadium-Armory Metro station?  You just walk past it and there is one on the other end...is that what you are saying?  

I didn't know that....that is good info!

Offline Dave B

i dont know where you were waiting on 395 (i.e. just near the exit you wanted or near Pentagon City).  i think some directions say take penn ave exit, some say 6th st. SE.  but if 395 wasnt backed up to say Pentgon City.  once you get over the river just try to take any exit, go a couple of blocks north to independence, turn right (east) and take it to the stadium.   famliarize yourself with the grid system though in case you get lost.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
If you were thinking of crossing the Potomac at the Wilson Bridge, during evening rush hour, instead of sticking with 395 North, DONT.  Traffic over the Wilson will make you wish for the good old days on 395.

But if you insisted on doing so, once across, you would simply head north on 295, all the way to East Capitol St, and you're there.  THere is no easier approach to RFK during the evening rush hour than from the Beltway and 295.  

Great for the folks in Southern PG (Oxon HIll and points south) but not accessible from Va due to bridge traffic.

If from Richmond, you wanted to come up 301 across the Morgantown bridge, then jump over to 210 from Waldorf, this is a viable alternative for you.

Stay away from 301 / Branch avenue if possible.

Offline deeznatz

Quote from: "Dave B"
i dont know where you were waiting on 395 (i.e. just near the exit you wanted or near Pentagon City).  i think some directions say take penn ave exit, some say 6th st. SE.  but if 395 wasnt backed up to say Pentgon City.  once you get over the river just try to take any exit, go a couple of blocks north to independence, turn right (east) and take it to the stadium.   famliarize yourself with the grid system though in case you get lost.

Yeah, I was on 395 from Pentagon City to the Stadium exit.  Towards the exit itself 395 opened up except for the left lane...making it apparent that it was satdium traffic at that point.  

I've been fearful of getting off anywhere elese, thinking that traffic on the streets leading to RFK would be even worse.....maybe not?

Offline deeznatz

Quote from: "tomterp"

Great for the folks in Southern PG (Oxon HIll and points south) but not accessible from Va due to bridge traffic.

If from Richmond, you wanted to come up 301 across the Morgantown bridge, then jump over to 210 from Waldorf, this is a viable alternative for you.

Exactly...I was thinking 301 then jumping off onto Branch or Indian head Hwy.  Didn't know 295 was pretty clear at that time....I thnk that is what IU will do!

Thanks for the info tomterp!

hillnat

DC Orange is correct. Walk about 100 yards past the mob and you can scoot right in the other entrance.  I am guessingthat more and more people are finding this out though.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Quote from: "deeznatz"
Quote from: "tomterp"

Exactly...I was thinking 301 then jumping off onto Branch or Indian head Hwy.  Didn't know 295 was pretty clear at that time....I thnk that is what IU will do!

Thanks for the info tomterp!

There's a ramp directly from 210 (Indian Head Hwy) at the intersection of 495, that takes you down the hill and over to 295 WITHOUT getting on 495.  Make sure to read the signs and follow the ramp directions carefully.  Good luck!

Offline Dave B

the streets are pretty clear, i'm pretty sure, just get to independence as fast as possible.  independence might clog up near the stadium, but is still probably better than 395.  

look at yahoo maps directions.  they put you on indepence early.  or just find a metro to get on.  pentagon city has one (it might require a transfer), if you get stuck in traffic there.

tomterp,
i dont think there is an e.capitol st exit off of northbound 295.  i work in MD and live on capitol hill and take that exit southbound everyday on my way home.  i know once or twice i've tried it from the south and havent found it.  and yahoo maps seems to confirm that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
um, I think you're right. Hopefully deeznats will see the large RFK stadium signs and just follow them.

Looks like the best approach is across the South Capitol St. Bridge, (past the new stadium site) and on until there is a direct ramp accessing the SE/SW freeway, and then on into lot 8.

Bacebalray

If you came thursday night, you need to understand the problem was in the parking lot, not traffic in general.  The back entrance to Lot 8 coming from VA was blocked because there was a head on collision at a point after you paid and entered the service road to the lot.  I witnessed the accident and a guy was driving in the left lane (only 2 lanes there and a double yellow line is in the middle) and he hit another car that was leaving the stadium.  I was 2 cars back of the point where the collion occurred and called 911.  Believe it or not the police called me 15 minutes later saying they couldn't find the accident.  I finally saw both cars being towed out 2 hours later so I can imagine what traffice was like there.
Go Nats