Author Topic: Harrisburg Falls to Reading 4-3 in Final home game of Season  (Read 1241 times)

natslive

Fans were treated to a good old-fashioned pitching duel between David Maust and Reading Phillies starter Allen Davis. Davis got the win improving to 12-9

David Maust started for Harrisburg and took the loss, his record falling to 5-4 with a nifty 2.32 ERA.

Maust, a lefty from West Virginia, has an easy motion to the plate and has really come on for the Senators this year. He pitched a great game but the decision by manager to leave him in the 8th inning proved fatal.

Michael Bourn started trouble in the fatal eighth with an RBI triple and one batter later Ryan Barthelemy iced the game with a two run shot to right.

The numbers for Maust were better then they look. In the talent poor farm system he is becoming one of the better pitchers. He was the ELs player of the week (28 August).
   7.2 innings
   7 hits
   4 runs (all earned)
   0 Walks
   6 Ks

Dee Haynes connected for his 21st home run of the season and Maust contributed with an RBI single. He must be watching the big league club.

With Zimmerman called up to the majors, the Senators brought up Vince Rooi and he responded with a good night going 2-4. Zimmerman was named MVP for Harrisburg. My wife purchased a team set and his card was $2 extra.

Vince Rooi went 2-for-4 with a double for Harrisburg. The third baseman was promoted Wednesday from Potomac back to Harrisburg.

As noted this was the last home game of the season for Harrisburg and has become a tradition for us. We usually try to make the home opener (get a hat) and the last game (fan appreciation game where you get a coupon good for one leftover promotional item). Not much available this year but we did get a Vlad bobblehead.

After adding Vlad to our collection we sat in the courtyard and enjoyed the warm afternoon and some good inexpensive food. I wish the fans at Bowie or Frederick could come up here and see what a good organization can do.

We talked to one season ticket holder. She surprised us with her criticism of manager Keith Bodie. We also spent time with Chip. We enjoy his posts and enjoyed talking baseball with him.

During the game sat with two old friends behind home plate who have become minor league fans. Great time, baseball lends itself to talking and enjoying the game with friends and fellow fans.

The Senators organization asked fans to contribute to the Katrina relief efforts, passing the helmet for contributions. I would hope the Nats do the same this weekend.

My favorite player with Harrisburg is catcher John Wilson. He got off to a slow start with New Orleans but has done well since being sent down to Harrisburg. He hustles and plays hard. I have hopes that he might end up being the #3 catcher with the Nats.

Larry Broadway went 1-4 with a double. Back from the DL he has a good glove around first and hitting .281 with some power. Look for him next year.