Author Topic: Zach Houchins needs to shut up.  (Read 6002 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Zach Houchins needs to shut up.
« Reply #1: June 10, 2011, 08:08:46 AM »
Good update - there's a long discussion on the draft thread, probably should be merged here. He's a grade A maroon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: June 10, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
:clap: for Linty's "flotn" for finding this stuff.

Offline natstime

« Reply #3: June 10, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
kids an idiot

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: June 10, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
Anybody named Zach Houchins is an ass.

Offline RD

« Reply #5: June 10, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
People need to take a step back and realize he's a kid.

You have pro athletes in the mid-late 20's saying stupid crap on twitter and other social media outlets.

Its such an outrage that a kid does it?

Nothing he said was too bad either. If you spent time on the field and heard the players talk, you'd hear a lot worse than hes saying on there.

It's just a sign of the times. It doesn't make him a bad kid. I dont know him at all, and don't know anything about him. But I won't judge him by comments he's made on twitter, because none of them are offensive. Maybe they aren't intelligent comments, but I didn't see anything too bad.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #6: June 10, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »
Nothing he said was too bad either. If you spent time on the field and heard the players talk, you'd hear a lot worse than hes saying on there.

It wouldn't be allowed in my dugout. Not the words he was using.

The Nats should pass. He might not be a bad kid at heart, but now is a perfect time for him to learn accountability.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: June 10, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
because none of them are offensive.

I would have to think some African Americans would disagree with the N word not being offensive coming from a white guy.

How do you think Destin Hood would feel if Houchins came up to him and started dropping N bombs on him left and right?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: June 10, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »
I would have to think some African Americans would disagree with the N word not being offensive coming from a white guy.

Fixed, IMO.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: June 10, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

How do you think Destin Hood would feel if Houchins came up to him and started dropping N bombs on him left and right?

I'm a white guy and that word is offensive.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #11: June 10, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »
In his context, I find it very offensive. Slightly off topic, but I find it a bit ridiculous when it's censored in non-intentionally insulting contexts. For example, in Huck Finn, they're swapping the n-word with slave, and when we wrote papers with quotes, we had to dash it out.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: June 10, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »
It's going to be interesting to see what kind of mild (by today's standards) behavior is going to be looked at as completely unacceptable 50 years from now.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #13: June 10, 2011, 12:31:16 PM »
It's going to be interesting to see what kind of mild (by today's standards) behavior is going to be looked at as completely unacceptable 50 years from now.

A day in the life of sportsfan

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #14: June 10, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »
I have a feeling there's going to be a reverse sentiment - IE people will think that society has become too PC and it will swing back the other way, in the name of freedom of expression. You know?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #15: June 10, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
A day in the life of sportsfan

LOL.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #16: June 10, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
how do you not take 5 minutes and google a guy before drafting him?  Sigh....

there is no way this guy belongs in this organization.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #17: June 10, 2011, 02:39:14 PM »
Apparently someone is talking some sense into him his twitter account is now gone...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #18: June 10, 2011, 03:17:43 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/zach-houchins-says-he-is-not-a-racist-nervous-about-future-with-the-nationals/2011/06/10/AGdkNyOH_blog.html

Nationals draft choice Zach Houchins apologized for the offensive statements he made on his since-deleted Twitter and admitted he is nervous they will affect his future with the Nationals, he told the Post in a telephone interview this morning.

Houchins, 18, said felt remorse for making the statements he made on Twitter, which included racial epithets, objectionable references to women and homophobic slurs, and understood why they had provoked anger. But he also defended himself as someone who is not racist, who has lived with a black roommate for the past four years and said he commonly a racial epithet used to depict black people among black friends in casual, friendly conversation.

“Whether people think it or not, I’m not racist,” Houchins said. “I’m not a bigot. I’ve had a black guy live with me for four years. My closest friends literally are all black. I’m sorry it was out there for everybody to read. That’s just how me and my friends talk, including my black friends.”

Houchins, an infielder the Nationals chose in the 15th round out of Louisburg Junior College in North Carolina, believes the statements he made on Twitter will affect his chances to sign with the team.

“I feel like it’s that serious,” Houchins said. “I am nervous.”

Houchins called Nationals assistant general manager Roy Clark and apologized. “He just said, ‘Whatever is on your Twitter is completely unacceptable.’ I just said, ‘Yes sir.’ I understood where he was coming from.”

Houchins is committed to play at East Carolina University next season and said, even before his comments came to light, he faced a decision on whether he would attend school or sign with the Nationals. He has not heard from representatives from ECU, he said.

Over the phone, Houchins sounded like a scared kid.. He replied to many questions with “Yes, sir” or “No, sir.” He is 18 and suddenly very concerned about his future. “It’s going through a tough time right now,” Houchins said.

While Houchins took down the account, some of the tweets containing the offensive language were copied and posted on other blogs such as this one.

The Nationals released a statement late last night saying they are “aware of and investigating” Houchins’s posted comments. Phone calls made this afternoon to General Manager Mike Rizzo and Clark have yet to be returned. If and when they comment, this post will be updated.

Reading through his tweets, they actually aren't the worst, most offensive things I've seen kids that age tweet. This kid doesn't realize that his tweets are going to be seen by someone...and he got blown up.

I feel bad for him because I highly doubt he's some racist and that's just how he, like tons of kids his age (especially in the black community), talk. In my eyes, he didn't use the n-word in an offensive way (or, at least I can see where he's coming from as I re-read them).

He needs to watch what he says from now on, though. Hard life lesson, kid.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #19: June 10, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
Well now I kind of feel like a dick.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #20: June 10, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

A) He's a kid
B) He needed a wakeup call
C) They'll sign him now

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: June 10, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »

You shouldn't. You're far from the only person who interpreted what he said that way. Without your post, he may never have had this lesson and it may have become an issue when he couldn't come back from it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: June 10, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
You shouldn't. You're far from the only person who interpreted what he said that way.

I was the only one to report on it, though.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #23: June 10, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »

Because the Nats media probably didn't even know this guy had a twitter account.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #24: June 10, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
And where'd you get it from? My post on WNFF?