Author Topic: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 3  (Read 23634 times)

Offline ZIM4MVP

Re: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 3
« Reply #425: April 19, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
how about trying someone who isn't Joel or Saul? just once? maybe it'll work.

just because YOU are in love with Joel doesn't mean he's a major league closer. he isn't. 
Can i steal your avatar?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #426: April 19, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
Can i steal your avatar?

The entire board will have MrMadison's Lastings_Thrilledge' s avatar after another week of losses.

MrMadison

« Reply #427: April 19, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
Can i steal your avatar?

i stole it from Lastings_Thrilledge. so feel free.

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #428: April 19, 2009, 06:09:05 PM »
anyone with Lastings name deserves to have it stolen

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #429: April 19, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
i agree to an extent, but i was an Expo fan for a long time.  they had competitive teams with less money.  it can be done. 

stan can't manage up, but he can clean up what is under him. 

No they didn't. First, you have to compare the years. The spending required today is more than when they were in Montreal. Secondly, it isn't just about player payroll. It is about investing in every aspect of the operation from top to bottom, year over year. There is not a team in the entirety of MLB that is more delinquent than the Lerners.

« Reply #430: April 19, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »
No they didn't. First, you have to compare the years. The spending required today is more than when they were in Montreal. Secondly, it isn't just about player payroll. It is about investing in every aspect of the operation from top to bottom, year over year. There is not a team in the entirety of MLB that is more delinquent than the Lerners.

I don't know. 16 losing seasons for the Bucs, 12 for the O's, does anyone remember who the Kansas City Royals are? Hopefully it won't get that bad.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #431: April 19, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »
I don't know. 16 losing seasons for the Bucs, 12 for the O's, does anyone remember who the Kansas City Royals are? Hopefully it won't get that bad.

I am saying delinquent in terms of pure spending on the operation from top to bottom relative to where they fit in terms of revenue and revenue potential.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #432: April 19, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »
No reason to bring Saul in.  Stick with Joel there.  The FO said they were sticking with him. 

Give it a break

« Reply #433: April 19, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
I am saying delinquent in terms of pure spending on the operation from top to bottom relative to where they fit in terms of revenue and revenue potential.

The Fish pay dick and they still get results. The Lerners aren't innocent in this, but I am more inclined to blame the spineless players we have because ultimately, they are the ones that I am paying to see and paying to see do well. I'm not paying to rant, rave, and look at some krusty old men in suits who are as elusive as a parasite in a rectum.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #434: April 19, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »
The Fish pay dick and they still get results. The Lerners aren't innocent in this, but I am more inclined to blame the spineless players we have because ultimately, they are the ones that I am paying to see and paying to see do well.
We have been getting different players every year and they always suck.  It's time to look up higher.

« Reply #435: April 19, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »
We have been getting different players every year and they always suck.  It's time to look up higher.

But we know massive FA buying doesn't buy championships and there really wasn't a whole lot out there this off season. If there was, half this board was convinced that the "potential' and the "youngsters" would hold their own anyways. No one could have guessed how absolutely useless these guys were going to be.

What exactly are we looking for in terms of "looking higher?"

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #436: April 19, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
But we know massive FA buying doesn't buy championships and there really wasn't a whole lot out there this off season. If there was, half this board was convinced that the "potential' and the "youngsters" would hold their own anyways. No one could have guessed how absolutely useless these guys were going to be.

most of the hitters are doing fine. I don't think we can blame Dunn, RZ, and many of the others for this awful start. RZ hasn't gotten off to cold start like he usually does. He's been fine.

« Reply #437: April 19, 2009, 09:25:43 PM »
most of the hitters are doing fine. I don't think we can blame Dunn, RZ, and many of the others for this awful start. RZ hasn't gotten off to cold start like he usually does. He's been fine.

I wasn't really talking about hitters when I said that. I should have clarified.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #438: April 19, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »

I mean look up higher in the organization to pinpoint the problem.  You've even said before: players come here and they magically suck.  It doesn't matter who it is.  It doesn't matter who comes here.  This team blows regardless.  We've had substantial roster turnover twice now.  Compare the 2005 team to the 2007 team, and then compare the 2007 team to the 2009 team.  Way different in both cases.

So what's the problem, then?  It has to be scouting, coaching, the front office, or ownership - or some combination thereof.  Of course, the players might just suck, but if you're changing rosters on a repeated basis, then that's just symptomic of poor front office decisions.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #439: April 19, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »
Aside from our problems getting runner across with anything but the long ball, I can't complain about our offense.  They've been a lot better than the previous years, and certainly more than enough to win a lot of games with even an average pitching staff.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #440: April 19, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »
I wasn't really talking about hitters when I said that. I should have clarified.
the pitchers I guess is what you were talking about and I agree. If you would have told me 2 weeks ago that on April 19th we would send Saul Rivera down to AAA I would have told you that you were insane. Although people weren't that big of a fan of Saul on here in the past years he got the job done for the most part as a solid 7th inning guy. I don't know what happened.

I'm not surprised that guys like Ledezma and Shell bombed.

Hanrahan sucking is not all that surprising either but I didn't think he would be this bad. :?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #441: April 19, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
Aside from our problems getting runner across with anything but the long ball, I can't complain about our offense.  They've been a lot better than the previous years, and certainly more than enough to win a lot of games with even an average pitching staff.
yeah that's the scary and somewhat frustrating thing about our offense. we get a crap ton of hits and walks but we don't cash in with runs nearly enough. they are doing okay as it but just think about how good they could be if they actually produced with runners on base.  :shock:

Our starters have actually been really good the last 4 games too. Fukkkkkkkk, this is so frustrating. We are getting solid starting pitching now and decent offensive production and are still losing every damn game. :hang:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #442: April 19, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »

Yea we've scored over 3 runs every game so far, aside from the stupid loss on friday, knock on wood...

We don't seem to have clutch hitting though, and I dont know how to gain that but we kill ourselves by not getting hits with bases loaded, 3 times! (jesus!)

I'm not surprised that guys like Ledezma and Shell bombed.

Hanrahan sucking is not all that surprising either but I didn't think he would be this bad. :?

Although Im not defending Shells pitching, because he did do pretty terrible coming in with runners on and not being able to stop any damage, he hasn't been terrible though. I dont see why we sent him down since Joel freaked us in the ass twice. I really wish they sent him down instead of someone who was bullpen material.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #443: April 19, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »
The Fish pay dick and they still get results. The Lerners aren't innocent in this, but I am more inclined to blame the spineless players we have because ultimately, they are the ones that I am paying to see and paying to see do well. I'm not paying to rant, rave, and look at some krusty old men in suits who are as elusive as a parasite in a rectum.

They do pay. They paid for guys who were legit and then dealt them for top prospects. People look at their overall payroll, but it doesn't matter what the payroll is if it all on the top young pitching and hitting prospects in the game that are on par or better than guys getting paid 10 times as much by the Yanks and Sox.

This is about investment from top to bottom to be agressive about identifying, acquiring, and stockpiling talent. We don't do that. We had Jim Bowden, a scam in the DR, one hype of a draft, a bunch of dumpster-diving ofseason pickups, trades for ex-Reds, etc. Spending money is about spending it properly. When was the last time this organization invested where it counts - pitching? Even the Soriano trade forfeited Armando Gallaraga. Imagine him on our staff.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #444: April 20, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »
What they need to do is call the Marlins under the guise of seeking a trade partner. Then, when the Marlins tell them who they want from our minor league system hang up on them and make sure we hang on to those guys.  :?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #445: April 20, 2009, 01:15:30 AM »
What they need to do is call the Marlins under the guise of seeking a trade partner. Then, when the Marlins tell them who they want from our minor league system hang up on them and make sure we hang on to those guys.  :?

:rofl: Our club would probably trade em for Emilio Bonifacio thinking we missed out on something.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #446: April 20, 2009, 01:38:01 AM »
1-10

Offline blue911

« Reply #447: April 20, 2009, 07:20:50 AM »

The five years that MLB ran the organization stripped the franchise of talent at every level. And what little talent remained, disappeared when the team moved to Washington. I'm talking about just the players but coaches,scouts,front office people hell even the switchboard operator. There is absolutely nothing that the Washington Nationals have in common with the Montreal Expos organization that was exceptional at developing players. Maybe it was Bill Stoneman's influence but Washington hasn't been able to turn the corner with the current philosophy and need to realize that they have to increase player payroll to put a better MLB product on the field. Not signing two FA starters in a depressed market is the sign of obSTANacy (sic) I my opinion and not necessarily cheapness.