Author Topic: The possibilities  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Dave B

The possibilities
« Topic Start: August 05, 2005, 07:47:49 AM »
I know he has shown flashes of being alive before, but what if guzman can hit .260 again.  thats a .070 increase. that is like replacing two .265 hitters with two .300 hitters.  

Maybe that thing about finally returning to his Minnesota style of hitting after 4 months of guessing and swinging with your eyes closed really did happen, as absurd as it sounds.

Not to get too carried away, but what if he could lead off. He did it on the twins (at least in a Yankees classic game I saw on TV).  And he got a hit then.

Maybe he could steal bases too. I know he had speed, but might have lost it from his legs atrophying from not getting on base.

BTW. I'm starting to like this stolen base thing.  I know it was Dioner Navarro trying to throw them out, but it makes things happen.

And the other night night, I was explaining to my girlfriend why guillen tagging from second to get to third while someone is trying to score while the catch is the second out is dumb, because if guillen is thrown out it could negate the run (that was not the first time I have seen him do it, and has been a close play on multiple occasions).  Then Wilson steals second and the throw goes into center and guillen scores, and I had to recant my statement.

Hardball in DC

Re: The possibilities
« Reply #1: August 05, 2005, 11:46:42 AM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
I was explaining to my girlfriend why guillen tagging from second to get to third while someone is trying to score while the catch is the second out is dumb, because if guillen is thrown out it could negate the run (that was not the first time I have seen him do it, and has been a close play on multiple occasions).  

It's not a dumb play a few of the times Guillen has done it.  What he is trying to do is draw the cutoff throw from the OF in order to allow the runner from 3B to score without a play.  He wants to try and draw the play to him, either make it to 3B on his own or get in a rundown long enough to let the run score.  Early in a game, it is questionable.  But I can recall clearly a time when he did it late in the game allowing the tying run (Byrd) to score.  My immediate reaction was the same as yours but after watching the 3B coach and Byrd both acknowledge Guillen with 'atta boys' I got what was happening out there.

In many circumstances, it is not the optimum strategy, but if you are playing for that one run (which the Nats tend to do), it makes sense.

Offline Dave B

The possibilities
« Reply #2: August 05, 2005, 01:11:46 PM »
he got atta boys cuz he made it.  twice i've seen it he has gone full speed head first (not looking for a rundown).  once was really close.  and the second time (against the dodgers) a good throw would have had him.  its fine if he does it with byrd, because byrd is faster and if he is running full speed will make it to home before guillen can get thrown out at third.  but the other night vidro was on third and waltzed home because he could have made easily.  guillen could have very well gotten thrown out at third and ended the inning before vidro scored.  guillen does not need to be at third base unless youre counting on a wild pitch or catchers throw into center field (maybe he was, because of the nats awful hitting at the time).  

but hey, he made it, maybe he knew he was fast enough and it paid off. all power to him.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
The possibilities
« Reply #3: August 05, 2005, 01:24:36 PM »
I'm wondering if there is actually any truth to the "Front office asked Guzman to change his hitting style at the beginning of the season" rumor that came up in Barry Svrluga's Post chat.

perhaps maybe they DID screw with Guzman's style.

BigRChurchfan

The possibilities
« Reply #4: August 05, 2005, 02:37:33 PM »
that would be criminal.  You take a .260 hitter and say "Stay back more, we want you to drive the ball deep, ya know, since you're a SS and all..".

AND THEN, after more than half the season "eh..do whatever you want".

If thats the case, we need new management now.

Offline esoteric

The possibilities
« Reply #5: August 05, 2005, 06:14:50 PM »
Quote from: "BigRChurchfan"
that would be criminal.  You take a .260 hitter and say "Stay back more, we want you to drive the ball deep, ya know, since you're a SS and all..".

AND THEN, after more than half the season "eh..do whatever you want".

If thats the case, we need new management now.

Guess we need new management now, then.

Tony Tavares was interviewed on WTOP today and the subject of GUUUZ came up, and Tavares' comments BLEW MY MIND. Tavares said that he had a front-foot swing when the Nats acquired him from Minnesota and they tried to change that and it was a mistake. He's been hitting better lately because they let him go back to his old swing.

Unf***ingbelievable. Fire 'em all.

luckyexposfan

The possibilities
« Reply #6: August 05, 2005, 06:19:21 PM »
That's amazing.  You almost don't want to believe that they could be that stupid for that long.  Well, here's hoping that's all the problem was and that Guzman will become an assett at the plate again!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
The possibilities
« Reply #7: August 05, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"
That's amazing.  You almost don't want to believe that they could be that stupid for that long.  Well, here's hoping that's all the problem was and that Guzman will become an assett at the plate again!

Position and money are not a guarantee of having smarts of any kind. We see that almost daily in sports... If they didn't mess up, sports writers would have nothing to write about...