Author Topic: Torchlight/Torchlight II Thread  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Torchlight/Torchlight II Thread
« Reply #25: September 21, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
A little bit of a homage you think?  :lol:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #26: September 21, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
Downloading now. Will let you know when it's done if anyone want's to get their game on with me.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #27: September 21, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
I'll PM you with my Runic ID (which isn't the same as your steam ID) so you can add me to your friends list for mp fun.

Unfortunately I won't be able to play any at a reasonable time when people are awake until Sunday evening.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #28: September 21, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
So is TL2 great? Better than Diablo 3?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #29: September 21, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »
So is TL2 great?

So far it's pretty great, IMO.

Better than Diablo 3?

:spit: :lmao: :crackup:

Oh, is that a serious question?  Then the answer is "oh god, yes."

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #30: September 21, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
So far it's pretty great, IMO.

:spit: :lmao: :crackup:

Oh, is that a serious question?  Then the answer is "oh god, yes."

So I'd rather ask you, if you've got the time, what the game is like compared to D3. What are the classes? What is the level range?

If it's like D2, I may have to check it out at some point since that game WAS THE crap!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #31: September 21, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
So I'd rather ask you, if you've got the time, what the game is like compared to D3. What are the classes? What is the level range?

If it's like D2, I may have to check it out at some point since that game WAS THE crap!

So far, I'd say that apart from the story and art style, Torchlight 2 is the true Diablo 3.  It's got many of the same developers in charge that created Diablo 2 (Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, Matt Uelmen from the D2 soundtrack did the TL2 soundtrack, etc).

Where as D3 is online only, TL2 has single player, LAN, and internet games.  You create internet games very much like in D2, naming the game and putting on a password if you wish.  Your character can play anywhere.  So if you don't have internet access, you can play single player and level up for a while, then go to a LAN party and play with friends with the same character and level up more, then play over the internet later, all with the same character.  Not like D2 where online and offline characters were separate.

There are currently 4 classes:

Embermage:  Pretty much your stereotypical mage class. 

Berserker:  A melee class, can use fist weapons and summon spirit animals.

Engineer:  Melee class that can make things like spider mines and other robot-y things.

Outlander:  Ranged character that uses primarily guns like pistols and shotgonnes.

A lot of weapons are NOT class dependent.  Chief is using a shotgonne on his embermage.  Engineers can get gigantic 2 handed wrenches to beat people with and wear a monocle (:lol:).  There are cannons too.  It looks like your character literally took a cannon off of a ship and is walking around blasting people with it.

Level cap is 100.

It is very much like D2 in my eyes.  Also, there is a demo you can try if you don't want to drop the $20 for it until you get to try it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #32: September 21, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »
Oh it's 20$? Interesting. I'll definitely try the demo though.

I think the Berserker sounds cool. I'm a sucker for druid and warlock/necromancer classes so anything that seems similar is where I'm at.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #33: September 21, 2012, 11:59:25 PM »
Oh it's 20$? Interesting. I'll definitely try the demo though.

I think the Berserker sounds cool. I'm a sucker for druid and warlock/necromancer classes so anything that seems similar is where I'm at.

You also get 4 spell slots which you can use to learn spells from spell tomes (separate from your skill point abilities).  So any class can be a summoner if they have a spell tome to use to learn a spell.

Oh, also you get a pet.  Your pet has an inventory, can run to town and sell stuff, and can buy and bring you back scrolls of identify/portal and healing/mana pots.  There are fishing holes and the fish you get you can feed to your pet to transform them for an amount of time.  Like a Webfish will turn your pet into a spider that can snare enemies with spider webs or Bonefish that will turn your pet into a skeleton.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #34: September 22, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »
lol the UI looks just like D2. And scroll TP's. Pretty awesome. I may be sold without even trying the game.

Is the plot like D2? Where as it's just you killing alot of demons... or is it something else?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #35: September 22, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »
lol the UI looks just like D2. And scroll TP's. Pretty awesome. I may be sold without even trying the game.

Is the plot like D2? Where as it's just you killing alot of demons... or is it something else?

TBH I haven't really been paying attention to the plot :lol:

The scrolls are pretty neat.  You have way points just like D2, but they let you port to other players as well.  The scroll opens a portal that acts pretty much like entering a way point.  When you go into it, you can chose to go to a certain way point or to town or to other players or other players open portal (I believe, haven't tried that).

I just love how things explode.  They either explode in to gibs or they explode into loot.  Definitely worth the $20 and Runic seems like they are a very cool company.  Since they don't sell boxed copies, they said they get the same amount of money selling on Steam for $20 as they would selling a boxed copy for $60 because of the manufacturing costs and things like that, so they felt $20 was fair.  They also aren't worried about piracy because they feel putting in all kinds of strict DRM and things to try to prevent it just hurt the legit players and it just gets cracked anyway.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #36: September 22, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »
From http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Torchlight_II (plot)

At the end of the first Torchlight, the ancient dragon Ordrak — the source of the corruption under the town of Torchlight — was defeated by the Destroyer, the Alchemist, and the Vanquisher.
Several years have passed, and the Alchemist has become obsessed with the dangers of Ember and the Ember Blight from which he was apparently never cured. He steals Ordrak's Heart and destroys the town of Torchlight. Traveling to the Estherian Steppes, he begins siphoning magical energy from the Elemental Guardians, powerful beings who control the balance of the world's six elements.

Now, a new hero emerges, tasked with following the Alchemist's path of destruction and dealing with the chaos caused by his unexplained actions.

ActsEdit
Torchlight II is divided into three major acts, each featuring a hub town and large overland areas as well as dungeons.
Act I: The Estherian Steppes, a mountainous region inhabited by the Estherians. The area's town is the Estherian Enclave.
Act II: The Mana Wastes, a desert which is home to the Zeraphi, their city Zeryphesh, and their enemies the Ezrohir.
Act III: Grunnheim, a haunted forest/swamp that contains the ruins of an ancient dwarven civilization.
An epilogue or fourth act that serves as the game's finale.[1] Its setting has not yet been revealed.

Oh, also, the game is fully modable (like the first one) and Runic will be releasing the tools soon (TorchED II).  That means all kinds of things like player created maps and dungeons, new textures, etc.

Some people were even talking on forming a team to create a Diablo 2 remake using TL2 and TorchED II.  Max Schaefer said he'd love to play a D2 remake if they made it :D

The game also runs on low end hardware pretty damn well, so you don't need a gaming PC to play it.

Yes, I'm trying to sell people on this game

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #37: September 22, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
Love it so far Nathan. My runic ID is the same as my steam one. I'll look to play you later man! Anyone playing add me. I'm not very creative :lol: Terpfan76

Offline Nathan

« Reply #38: September 22, 2012, 01:53:18 AM »
Nice!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #39: September 23, 2012, 01:53:29 AM »
This damn game is the devil... Must go to bed now :lol: Level 22 now.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #40: September 23, 2012, 02:11:32 AM »
What class are you playing?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #41: September 23, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
What class are you playing?

Bezerker.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #42: September 23, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
:rofl:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #43: September 23, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »
I like how the items look diablo-esque.

Offline Nathan

Offline Nathan

« Reply #45: September 26, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »

The Mace of Spades :lmao:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #46: September 29, 2012, 04:48:17 AM »
Tom's weapon of choice?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #47: September 29, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
Ha. Torchlight sounds fantastic!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #48: September 29, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »
Anyone trying to get their game on tonight?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #49: September 29, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »
Work :'(