Author Topic: Has it hit you yet?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
Has it hit you yet?
« Topic Start: October 01, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
It basically just hit me that we'll be playing a playoff game in less than a week.

Holy ****.  :shock:

Don't know what the point of this thread is.. but yeah haha. It's finally feeling real.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: Has it hit you yet?
« Reply #1: October 01, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
Bought a bottle of cava, hope to open it tonight when we win!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: October 01, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
No. The wild card isn't a playoff game to me. So until we're in to the division series, I won't care.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #3: October 01, 2012, 07:34:31 PM »
As a lifelong Expos fan who followed the team to DC....I never thought I would ever see this team in the playoffs. Long time coming.....

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #4: October 01, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
No. The wild card isn't a playoff game to me. So until we're in to the division series, I won't care.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: October 01, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #6: October 01, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »
Now it has hit me. Overwhelming. Many years of tears.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #7: October 01, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
As a lifelong Expos fan who followed the team to DC....I never thought I would ever see this team in the playoffs. Long time coming.....

Congratulations!

I've followed Washington baseball teams since the early '50s. Winning a championship was always some other team did. Not now!!!!

Suffering through the losses makes it sweeter.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #8: October 01, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
Just 3 years ago, we lost 103 games. THis feels fantastic. I am the happiest, by far, for Ryan Zimmerman. He's been Mr. Nat. The 1st draft pick here, and a great, great player here. He deserves this.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #9: October 01, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »
I remember how elated I was when the Phillies were eliminated on the last day of the season in '05 (even though we had just been swept, but the Astros beat the Cubs), and also Maxwell's walk-off salami at the end of a season where we lost like three digits...the euphoria of those days seems almost comical now.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #10: October 01, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
Congratulations!

I've followed Washington baseball teams since the early '50s. Winning a championship was always some other team did. Not now!!!!

My dad took me to Senators games in the 60's...Del Unser, Brant Ayea, Tim Cullen, Mike Epstein, Hondo, Tom Casanova, Jim French, Dick Bosman, Jim King, Jim Hannah, Ken McMullen, Eddie Brinkman, Darryl Knowles, Arelio Rodriguez, Ed Stroud......it's amazing how you can remember childhood heroes. I hope there are young kids creating great memories now......and they are winning ones!

Offline Fan037

« Reply #11: October 01, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »
Congratulations!

Since the late 40's for me!  This is a life-long dream come true!!!!!!!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #12: October 02, 2012, 11:51:22 AM »
Since the late 40's for me!  This is a life-long dream come true!!!!!!!

Isn't it great?

I wish the Nats would bring Eddie Yost and Roy Sievers for the first playoff. Record a spot by Bob Wolff, who is probably still a sports broadcaster on Long Island.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #13: October 02, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »
I'm getting there. Won't really hit me till Saturday.

I'm torn. I have tickets to game 4. On the one hand, I don't want there to be a need for a game 4. On the other hand, I really want to see playoff baseball

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #14: October 02, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
I'm making tentative plans to be in Milwaukee on 4th August of next year for the 50th anniversary of the first-ever MLB match I attended (and first-ever live sporting event generally) - it certainly would be something to go in there as a supporter of the defending World Series champions.

It'll probably hit me when I attend my first-ever post-season MLB match in a few days....

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #15: October 02, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »
I don't think it will hit me until I'm watching the pre-game show for Game 1 of the NLDS.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #16: October 02, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
I think we should tank the last 2 games so we don't have to face the Braves.  I'd much rather meet San Fransisco, don't you think?

« Reply #17: October 02, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »
I think we should tank the last 2 games so we don't have to face the Braves.  I'd much rather meet San Fransisco, don't you think?
would make it much better to beat the braves in a series and send chipper home crying :rofl:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #18: October 02, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »

I worry about not having any momentum going into the playoffs (the teams that go far are usually the ones that were hot in September), but I worry more about facing one of the wildcard teams for that very reason.

As a native Chicagoan, I am confident in Dusty Baker's ability to choke in the playoffs, and I'm not too afraid of not having home field against the Reds.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #19: October 02, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
I was there last night - the pounding in my chest as NL East Champions flashed across the screen was amazing. It has definitely hit me and man alive it feels good

« Reply #20: October 02, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
I was there last night - the pounding in my chest as NL East Champions flashed across the screen was amazing. It has definitely hit me and man alive it feels good
it was an amazing atmosphere last night, :clap:       brought tears to my eyes.  how great was it when morse came up to bat with his music blasting and the entire place singing, he had a huge smile on his face :minigunz:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #21: October 02, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
I can't believe that :minigunz: was six months ago now. Seems like it was just yesterday. What a magical moment: something we'll always remember about this season, no matter what happens in the playoffs.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #22: October 02, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
I worry about not having any momentum going into the playoffs (the teams that go far are usually the ones that were hot in September), but I worry more about facing one of the wildcard teams for that very reason.

As a native Chicagoan, I am confident in Dusty Baker's ability to choke in the playoffs, and I'm not too afraid of not having home field against the Reds.

The Reds, despite their torrid post-All-Star-Break record, seem, by default anyway, to be the most attractive of NLDS opponents. The Cardinals and Giants are the last two World Series winners (experience in playoff baseball can really help here) and as far as the Braves, it's not just the Chipper farewell but also the fact that the NLDS, with the exception of matches seconded to MLB Network, is on TBS....

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #23: October 02, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
Somebody posted the following comment in response to Boswell's column. Hard to say it better.

Wait a second? You mean the Nats won the NL East? Can't be, as all of those "educated" fans of "real" baseball teams in "winning" cities told me in April that I was a rube to be excited about how the Nats were playing.

I was told to wait until the end of May, when the Nats would be back in last place. Then it was the All Star Break. Then I was scoffed at for "thinking" that being in 1st place in August meant anything. The experts told me to wait until Sepetmber, when the pressure got to the Nats and they shut Strasburg down. But wait, there was still time to choke because the Nats had to play the last two weeks of the season against contenders, while the Braves played the Mets/Marlins.

So the Nats couldn't have won the NL East, right?. Oh, ok, now I get it. What the experts meant to say is that the Nats will lose in the NLDS . And they will never contend again. Those a-holes have been right all year, haven't they? God, this is sweet.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #24: October 02, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
Isn't it great?

I wish the Nats would bring Eddie Yost and Roy Sievers for the first playoff. Record a spot by Bob Wolff, who is probably still a sports broadcaster on Long Island.

Yes, it's great!  And I like your suggestions.