Author Topic: should strasburg stick around for the playoffs if he's not on the roster?  (Read 585 times)

Offline Bloo

I'd keep Strasburg around just to pinch hit.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Re: Playoff Roster
« Reply #1: September 07, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
Strasburg will likely be home in SD.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: September 07, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
Strasburg will likely be home in SD.

Nah, he'll stick around DC as long as the team is playing.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #3: September 07, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
Yeah, there's no chance Stras goes home

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #4: September 07, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
So the camera can pan to him after every pitch Detwiler throws? Unlikely.

If he's the competitor he says he is. He won't be able to stomach being there, anyways.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #5: September 07, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
So the camera can pan to him after every pitch Detwiler throws? Unlikely.

If he's the competitor he says he is. He won't be able to stomach being there, anyways.

Of course he will. Jordan didn't leave last year, he sat right on the bench, I get the situation is different, but Stras is a total team guy. I don't think there's any chance he goes home.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #6: September 07, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
If the Nats are down 2-1 entering game 4, and Detwiler is pitching down 3-0 in the 4th inning, the cameras will definitely pan on Strasburg after every single pitch. You don't want that potential embarrassment if you are the Nats.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #7: September 07, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »
If the Nats are down 2-1 entering game 4, and Detwiler is pitching down 3-0 in the 4th inning, the cameras will definitely pan on Strasburg after every single pitch. You don't want that potential embarrassment if you are the Nats.

I don't think the Nats or Stras will care one iota where the camera will be panning

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #8: September 07, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »
Of course he will. Jordan didn't leave last year, he sat right on the bench, I get the situation is different, but Stras is a total team guy. I don't think there's any chance he goes home.

No chance he goes home. If he's the teammate we know he is, he will stay and support his teammates like a professional.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #9: September 07, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
I don't think the Nats or Stras cares one iota where the camera will be panning

And, really, so they pan their once. So what. It's not like that story won't be played out by the time the playoffs start.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #10: September 07, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

And you don't want the clubhouse strife you get if you send the guy home because you're trying to hide from the PR implications of your decision, either.  He'll be there, and he'll get more camera time than every Nats starter but Gio.  I'm betting he and the three guys who aren't starting that day will hang out together just like they do now.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: September 07, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »

I didn't realize the Nats made the playoffs last year.

Sitting there during the regular season when your team is out of contention is a lot different than when you're completely healthy, your team's best player... and you're just sitting there watching your squad playing in the playoffs, unable to help the guys you worked side by side with for the past six months.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #12: September 07, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

Sitting there during the regular season when your team is out of contention is a lot different than when you're completely healthy, your team's best player... and you're just sitting there watching your squad playing in the playoffs, unable to help the guys you worked side by side with for the past six months.

So you're going to leave? You're going to take your ball and stomp off? You're not going to stand by and cheer on the guys you sweated with side by side for 6 months?  I can't imagine anything more selfish and immature. If Stras does leave town, I will be really disappointed.

If it were me, you couldn't DRAG me away from my team.

I may be totally wrong on this, I hope I'm not.

I guess we'll find out soon enough

Offline zoom

« Reply #13: September 07, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
What is there to be embarrassed about?   They made a long term decision.   

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #14: September 08, 2012, 01:41:55 AM »

Point being?

What does Strasburg have to be embarrassed about? His agent and the team made a decision in his best interests.

What do the Nationals have to be embarrassed about? They're telling the rest of the world they expect to be competing for many seasons past this one.