Author Topic: Gibbs: is it finally obvious?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Dave B

Re: Gibbs: is it finally obvious?
« Reply #25: December 03, 2007, 08:55:22 AM »
I've been thinking about the official's involvement.  I think the correct answer to "Can I call a timeout?" is "Yes". Who is he to assume Gibbs doesnt want to call it and take the penalty? Maybe icing the kicker is that important to Gibbs. Hell, the guy made the first attempt from 51, maybe Gibbs didnt see much difference between 36 and 51 yards. Plus with the penalty, it is like a double icing effect :)

You have to ask "Will I get a penalty if I call another time out?"

Is the "The official told me I could, but hey, it's my fault" line the same thing as the "I'm not going to use injury as an excuse" line?

You come across as being accountable, but plant the seed that it is not your fault.  If you dont want to use something as an excuse dont bring it up at all.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: December 03, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »

Is the "The official told me I could, but hey, it's my fault" line the same thing as the "I'm not going to use injury as an excuse" line?

You come across as being accountable, but plant the seed that it is not your fault.  If you dont want to use something as an excuse dont bring it up at all.

QFT Gibbs is an expert at doing this and people fall for it all the time and call him classy. Some people actually think Gibbs did this intentionally to ensure that all the blame for the loss would be pointed in his direction.

nospinzone1

« Reply #27: December 03, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »
I FIND IT REAL HARD TO BEAT ON SOMEONE THAT GAVE US SO MANY GREAT SEASONS. BUT HIS TIME HAS GONE BY.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #28: December 03, 2007, 10:53:29 AM »
Some people actually think Gibbs did this intentionally to ensure that all the blame for the loss would be pointed in his direction.

Sounds nice, but a 51 yard field goal in the rain isnt a gimme

arkymark

« Reply #29: December 03, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »
Yeah, I was listening in the car and my daughter was talking at the same time, I since learned he said "official", not "assistant".  I stand corrected.

You need to get control over your daughter.  My chidlren are not allowed to speak while I'm listening to the radio.  I'm just saying.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #30: December 03, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »
The kicker would have made it.. Certainly it would have been a little more difficult but there was no question in my mind that the kick was going to be good.  Sort of the like the Perfect Storm, this was the "Perfect Loss".. It had all of the recipes for disaster and it ensured that the loss was as heartbreaking as possible.  It wouldn't have happened any other way. 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #31: December 03, 2007, 04:02:28 PM »

QFT

But he is super smart and coaches his guts out.  :thumbs:

AND he's a real nice guy! ;)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #32: December 03, 2007, 04:16:53 PM »
AND he's a real nice guy! ;)

Maybe Gibbs will borrow that wnff phrase and incorporate it into his hollow press conferences.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #33: December 03, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »
I can even chalk this mistake up to Gibbs being completely exhausted and emotionally spent.

Still, it's only one in a long string of decisions that make me think this should be Gibb's last season. He doesn't expect enough of those that surround him, coaches and players.

The kicker would have made it.. Certainly it would have been a little more difficult but there was no question in my mind that the kick was going to be good.  Sort of the like the Perfect Storm, this was the "Perfect Loss".. It had all of the recipes for disaster and it ensured that the loss was as heartbreaking as possible.  It wouldn't have happened any other way. 

Offline PC

« Reply #34: December 03, 2007, 04:54:30 PM »

He'd easily made the first attempt and the 36 yard field would probably have been good from 60.

That's what makes calling the second timeout so infuriating. Gibbs could have called fifty consecutive timeouts and that kicker wasn't going to miss that kick.  So in reality all we got was the penalty and delayed the inevitable of him making the field goal by a few seconds.

The problem was the 30+ yard pass completion that preceded it.  Every since the Patriots game, this defense has made few, if any, key stops.  :'(

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #35: December 03, 2007, 05:13:55 PM »
The problem was the 30+ yard pass completion that preceded it.  Every since the Patriots game, this defense has made few, if any, key stops.  :'(

Maybe so, but the defense should never have been put in that position to defend a 2-point lead at the end of the game like that.  After they scored that touchdown to make it 16-5, they should've continued.  Instead, Gibbs shutdown as if he needed a nap.  Time and time again he goes into this "playing not to lose" mentality that cost them in the end.  The Gibbs of the 80's would've had the killer instinct to continue putting points on the scoreboard.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #36: December 03, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »
The safety they gave up was huge. Without that embarrassing display by the OL the Bills would've been down 4 instead of 2.