Author Topic: Tornadoes  (Read 2483 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Tornadoes
« Topic Start: May 20, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
Moore Oklahoma literally wiped out by a Tornado.   51 dead.   Kids trapped in a school and not sure how many are alive.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Tornados
« Reply #1: May 20, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
Dear God...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: May 20, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Trying to keep an eye on the game and the tornado coverage.    Nature is so powerful   ...   Kobe   ....  Sandy  ..... Moore ....  Etc..   

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #3: May 20, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
Family and friends scatted between Oklahoma City, south Kansas, and north Arkansas. Crazy day.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #4: May 20, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »
The power of nature is awe-inspiring.  Wow.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #5: May 20, 2013, 09:49:37 PM »
Family and friends scatted between Oklahoma City, south Kansas, and north Arkansas. Crazy day.

Hope they're all good Smithian.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: May 20, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »
just saw a report than an entire 3rd grade class, 24 kids, were killed.  Horrible horrible news.  More storms expected tomorrow.  The town of Moore was devastated in May of 1999 when an EF-5 tornado killed around 5 people, it was the most severe tornado ever recorded, winds of 320 MPH.

Online imref

« Reply #7: May 20, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
warnings up now in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #8: May 20, 2013, 09:59:01 PM »
Hope they're all good Smithian.
So far, all are. Very lucky.

All you can do is keep these people in your thoughts. Donate $10 to the Red Cross.

As horrible and sad as this is, I'm doing same thing I did after Boston; focus on the people running to help. For as much sadness as there is in our world, so many people are trying to help.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #9: May 20, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #10: May 20, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
Anyone hear from DPOMAHA?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #11: May 20, 2013, 10:09:26 PM »

He's online now.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #12: May 20, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »

Offline Coladar

« Reply #13: May 21, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
Yesterday's horrific devastation got me on a Wikipedia kick reading about processes behind tornadic activity (Was curious if they ever happen elsewhere in the world, given we never hear about anything like this outside North America.) I'm sure the news has mentioned this a billion times already, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_records

Codell, Kansas
The small town of Codell, Kansas, was hit by a tornado on the same date three consecutive years. A tornado hit on May 20, 1916, 1917, and 1918.[28] The U.S. has about 100,000 thunderstorms a year; less than 1% produce a tornado. The odds of this coincidence occurring again is extremely small.

Moore, Oklahoma
Moore was hit by devastating tornadoes in 1999, 2003, 2010, and 2013, all of which were of F4 strength or greater.

Four impossible tornadoes in less than a decade and a half, one town. We understand incredibly little about tornadoes, despite all the data and simulations in the world, but obviously they are strongly influenced by geography and surface quirks. Like a line of hills surrounding a town, being in the 'wrong place' where upper level winds get funneled, whatever. Seeing things like this, it seems to me that they (NOAA, NWS, whoever.) really ought to make an effort to combine tracks and data on all historical tornadoes and produce some form of increased danger zones.

I get tornadoes can be ridiculously random and impossible to predict (The Codell snippet I included seemed particularly bizarre.) Even though our area has historically been spared the brunt of severe ones, we could have an F3 hit next week (There have been some historic tornadoes in DC. Namely one which might have changed the course of the city, during the War of 1812 and the Burning of DC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington,_D.C._tornadoes )

But four F4s in 14 years on one town... All that horror and death, it's tragic to imagine if future events there and elsewhere might be avoided by simply analyzing data and either avoiding certain locales during building, or not rebuilding on the exact same spots. Likewise, how many millions live in LA or SF where the next 'Big One' earthquake could happen any day, and will happen eventually, yet folks continue to think it 'can't happen here.' I dunno, maybe Moore is just a horrible coincidence and fluke, but that just seems an extreme oddity in a very short time period to be entirely written off as meaningless.

Me? I'm just thankful to have woken up today and seen the fatality estimates cut in half. Last night when I went to bed, it was 50+ and expectations of many more, so thankfully that was wrong.

Edited to Add: I had remembered reading about the War of 1812 Tornado years ago, dug up the Wikipedia link just for those who hadn't. Reading it after posting, I found this especially bizarre and bizarrely on topic:

November 17, 1927: At around 2:30 p.m., a tornado touched down southwest of Alexandria, Virginia. After damaging Alexandria, the tornado crossed the Potomac River and injured several people at the Anacostia Naval Air Station. The tornado crossed the Anacostia River and continued through the Navy Yard. From there, the tornado continued northward up Eighth Street Southeast and then turned a bit to travel north on Fourteenth Street near Lincoln Park. The tornado continued through the neighborhood of Kingman Park, where it demolished several homes.

How insane is it that the most historic tornado in modern DC history hit there? Imagine sitting at Nats Park and watching a tornado zoom by.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: May 21, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
Given the conditions in Moore (no basements, kids crowded in schools that were absolutely leveled, etc.) it's amazing that the death toll isn't higher. How do 60K people avoid all that devastation? I guess some were at work elsewhere?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #15: May 21, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »
Given the conditions in Moore (no basements, kids crowded in schools that were absolutely leveled, etc.) it's amazing that the death toll isn't higher. How do 60K people avoid all that devastation? I guess some were at work elsewhere?

Yeah, definitely a miracle. Seeing the news last night and the images of the devastation, I was fearing the casualties would be in the hundreds come morning. With all those schools completely wiped out, I can't imagine how so many survived. Maybe that's the only good thing about what I posted... Maybe all the F4+ tornadoes that have hit Moore in just a few years had the majority of adults educated and prepared, as prepared as anyone can be for a tornado, and thus enabled them to move quickly to the safest places. I just hope the number stays where it is now, or even drops again, but it could have been far, far worse.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: May 21, 2013, 08:10:58 PM »
The missus and I have gotten to the point where we're on sensory overload.    Can't watch a lot of it without just being sad.

Online imref

« Reply #17: May 21, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »

i'm wondering the same thing, hopefully we're not looking at hundreds missing.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: May 21, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »
Thanks for the concern.  It wasn't any where near me.  Incredibly sad day.

Offline blue911

« Reply #19: May 21, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »
The missus and I have gotten to the point where we're on sensory overload.    Can't watch a lot of it without just being sad.

This.

I wonder is Senator Tom Coburn feels the same.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #20: May 21, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »
Thanks for the concern.  It wasn't any where near me.  Incredibly sad day.
  I didn't know the path of the Midwest storm.

Wnffers, stay in touch!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #21: May 21, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »
http://gawker.com/oklahoma-tornado-survivor-finds-missing-dog-during-live-509025167?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I hope I did this right, for whoever hasn't seen this it's the video of an elderly lady who finds her dog among the ruins of her house while she's being interviewed live, a little joyful moment in the midst of such sadness! 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: May 21, 2013, 11:52:06 PM »
  I didn't know the path of the Midwest storm.

Wnffers, stay in touch!
We got a little thunderstorm, but nothing severe.  We haven't had much dramatic up here yet this year.  That storm was all south of me.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: May 22, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »
This.

I wonder is Senator Tom Coburn feels the same.
In fairness, he is sticking to his guns and says the emergency aid should come from other budget reductions.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: May 22, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
The governor of Oklahoma is on NPR right now, she seems open to requiring safe rooms in schools, apparently newer schools already have them