Author Topic: Kettler Capitals Iceplex To Open in Arlington!  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Kettler Capitals Iceplex To Open in Arlington!
« Topic Start: November 02, 2006, 03:09:47 PM »
Kettler Capitals Iceplex
New facility will house Capitals training center and two rinks for community use

ARLINGTON, Va. ? November 1, 2006 ? The Washington Capitals joined KSI Services Inc. and Arlington County today to announce the name of the Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the team?s new training facility and community ice arena located adjacent to the Ballston Common Mall in Arlington, Va.

?The opening of the Kettler Capitals Iceplex marks a momentous occasion for our franchise and the Northern Virginia area,?

Capitals chairman and majority owner Ted Leonsis said. ?This is a first-class facility that our team and the community can take pride in. We are eternally grateful for the cooperation of KSI and Arlington County in making this project a reality.?

KSI Services Inc., one of Metropolitan Washington?s leading residential and commercial developers that was founded by Robert C. Kettler in 1977, acquired the naming rights for the facility.

?As the area?s largest real estate developer, we have a 30-year history of building communities that enrich people?s lives. By purchasing the naming rights, KSI is showing our commitment to Arlington County, the Capitals and the greater community,? said Robert C. Kettler, chairman and founder of KSI Services Inc. ?We are also excited to announce we are changing our brand from KSI to Kettler. This spectacular new facility gives us the opportunity to showcase our new brand.?

The 137,000-square-foot facility was built on a new eighth level atop an existing seven-story public parking garage at the corner of North Glebe Road and North Randolph Street. According to USA Hockey and STAR (Serving the American Rinks), Kettler Capitals Iceplex is the only rink in the United States built eight stories or more above street level. Kettler Capitals Iceplex is owned by Arlington County and leased to the Capitals.

?We are very pleased to welcome the Washington Capitals to their new home in Arlington,? said Christopher Zimmerman, chairman of the Arlington County Board. ?Hockey teams, figure skating, free Caps practices ? this is an incredible asset for our community ? and right on Metro?s Orange Line!?

Kettler Capitals Iceplex includes two indoor NHL-sized ice rinks, office space, locker rooms, a pro shop, a snack bar, media facilities and additional space for special events. One of the rinks features a capacity of approximately 1,200. The project also features a 20,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art training center for the Capitals with a large weight and fitness room, extensive athletic training and medical facilities, spacious locker-room and lounge areas, a theater-style classroom and a high-tech video room. An additional level, above the training facility, will house the entire front-office staff of the Capitals and the WNBA?s Washington Mystics.

All Capitals practices at the facility will be open to the public and free of charge. Capitals practices will move to the new facility later this month.

Kettler Capitals Iceplex is the first indoor ice rink inside the Capital Beltway in Virginia and the only community rink accessible by the Washington Metro Area Transportation Authority?s Metrorail line. The two rinks will offer an estimated 12,000 hours of ice time per year for use by youth, high school and college hockey teams, figure skating, synchronized skating, recreational skating, learn-to-skate programs and broomball. In addition, the Capitals will donate 500 hours of ice time annually to provide economically disadvantaged and physically and mentally challenged members of the community an opportunity to use the facility.

Architecture Incorporated of Reston, Va., designed the $42.8 million project, while D.C.-based Sigal Construction was the general contractor.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #1: November 02, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »
This is totally awesome news for DC area hockey.  Supplying area youth with decent ice rinks and facilities has been neglected for far too long.  Now practices will be held there free of charge where kids can watch the pros up close - making it an exciting breeding ground for ice sports for the area.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: November 02, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »
Basically, it will be the best practice facility in the league.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: November 02, 2006, 09:52:47 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Basically, it will be the best practice facility in the league.

One of them, anyways...Vancouver's is pretty nice.  I

I think this is super - and that Bailey's place downstairs (biggest sports bar I've sen in a while, and a great Sens 2005 find) should be hopping crazy on practice days!!!

NatsCaps19

« Reply #4: November 02, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »
can't wait to get down there to check it out!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #5: November 02, 2006, 11:48:23 PM »
Glad to see you around NatsCaps19.  Stick your head in here once in awhile and contribute to the Caps threads!   8)

NatsCaps19

« Reply #6: November 02, 2006, 11:52:15 PM »
definitely!

especially since a certain poster has been banned.

he's trolling the hell out of the Hockeysfuture board now  :roll:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7: November 03, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
and that Bailey's place downstairs (biggest sports bar I've sen in a while, and a great Sens 2005 find) should be hopping crazy on practice days!!!

yyyyyeah...I dont know about that. maybe.

i cant wait to go play there. now I dont have to drive up to laurel to play

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #8: November 03, 2006, 09:46:30 AM »
Quote from: "Dave B"

Where in Laurel do you play?  My brother drives all the way down to Arlington to play from Laurel.....

« Reply #9: November 03, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »
Sounds pretty f'n sweet!  Will have to visit when I'm in the area sometime.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10: November 04, 2006, 12:44:48 AM »
Quote from: "Minty Fresh"
Quote from: "Dave B"

Where in Laurel do you play?  My brother drives all the way down to Arlington to play from Laurel.....

The Gardens Ice House.  Its nice but kind of a hike. I work near there, but its hard to get up early before work to go play. At my old job I'd just leave at noon and come back in couple of hours.  Didnt know how good I had it