Author Topic: Health and Fitness Thread  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Health and Fitness Thread
« Topic Start: March 25, 2010, 12:49:30 AM »
Talk about getting healthy and fit in this thread.

24 hour gym = awesome.
Being at the gym at 12:45 am != awesome.
Realizing how weak you are = teh suck.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Health and Fitness Thread
« Reply #1: March 25, 2010, 12:53:19 AM »
If I were you, I'd save that for a more reasonable time and go listen to some loud rock & roll or something more appropriate for the hour...

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2: March 25, 2010, 12:56:04 AM »
I like coming now because no one is here.  I don't feel self conscious.  ACDC blaring on the stereo.

• babble on
« Reply #3: March 25, 2010, 01:01:28 AM »
That makes sense.  Well, to those about to lift, we salute you

I like coming now because no one is here.  I don't feel self conscious.  ACDC blaring on the stereo.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: March 25, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
Damn, thats pretty cool. I wouldn't mind going this late either. I need to start running and doing some situps/pushups. All the beer and fast food is piling on. :P

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: March 25, 2010, 01:31:38 AM »
Starting with just the bar for benching is so embarrassing. I need to get back to lifting. I used to really look forward to it. Gotta get my back fixed first, I guess.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #6: March 25, 2010, 03:47:08 AM »
Starting with just the bar for benching is so embarrassing. I need to get back to lifting. I used to really look forward to it. Gotta get my back fixed first, I guess.
I could only bench 110 tonight :-[

They've got this cool bike that has a screen and you bike on virtual courses, steering and changing gears.  It even gets harder going "uphill" and easier going down.

Walking on the treadmill is cool because I just plug in my headphones and watch espn on the little tv that's on each machine.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #7: March 25, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »
Better to do the aerobic exercises first and weight lifting second.  Then the weight lifting becomes aerobic.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #8: March 25, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
My trainer went a little nutso with the arm/shoulder group on Monday. I'm still sore.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #9: March 25, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
My trainer went a little nutso with the arm/shoulder group on Monday. I'm still sore.
Yeah, I definitely feel it today :lmao:  Arms and chest are burning.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #10: March 25, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »
I could only bench 110 tonight :-[

They've got this cool bike that has a screen and you bike on virtual courses, steering and changing gears.  It even gets harder going "uphill" and easier going down.

Walking on the treadmill is cool because I just plug in my headphones and watch espn on the little tv that's on each machine.

110 on the benching machine or with a bar? Counting 35 for the bar? 110 for just getting started is good.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #11: March 25, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
No, 110 total :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #12: March 25, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »

That's really not too shabby, especially if it was multiple reps. I used to do 3 weights, increasing each time. 12, 10, 7 I think it was. Gotta dig up the old spreadsheets.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: March 25, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »

12oz x what = 110 ?

Holy crap, you're going to drink 147 beers?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #14: March 25, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »
12oz x what = 110 ?

Holy crap, you're going to drink 147 beers?
:lol: That was the work out over the last 2 weeks (seriously, I probably drank 140 beers over 2 weeks).

That's really not too shabby, especially if it was multiple reps. I used to do 3 weights, increasing each time. 12, 10, 7 I think it was. Gotta dig up the old spreadsheets.
Yeah, it was 110 X 12, 110 X 10, 110 X 6.  Wanted to do 8 on the last set but it was too hard, so it looks like 110 was a good number to start at.

Do you have a workout spreadsheet?  Something that you can print, like a simple table where you can write in the exercise and weight and reps type thing?  If you did and would like to share, I've been looking for something similar where I can chart my progress ;)

I was going to do legs tonight, but I don't think I really need to work on them.  I tried the leg press machine and it only goes up to 490 lbs.  Which I can do no problem.  With one leg.  Carrying around all this weight did have some benefit I guess :twisted:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #15: March 25, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »
I'll see if I can dig up the spreadsheet. It was passed down to me, I think it's a NCAA workout.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #16: March 25, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
Yup its almost baseball season for me, time to get in shape! I'm so sick of the gym though, I was thinking about getting a bowflex...does anyone have any experience with one? I'm not really too weak to begin with (benched 230 last time I lifted, but it was a few months ago), and I want feedback on whether it can build significant strength or if its only good for the average person who's never touched a weight in their lives.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #17: March 25, 2010, 08:45:54 PM »
Yup its almost baseball season for me, time to get in shape! I'm so sick of the gym though, I was thinking about getting a bowflex...does anyone have any experience with one? I'm not really too weak to begin with (benched 230 last time I lifted, but it was a few months ago), and I want feedback on whether it can build significant strength or if its only good for the average person who's never touched a weight in their lives.
I had one, with the 400lb pack.  It can definitely work if you use it.  Unfortunately I used mine as a clothes line when I had it :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #18: March 25, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
Just got off the treadmill.  Must lose weight!

Since we're playing "how much can you bench" I'll toss mine in.  150 at my best...  which was 12 years ago :lol: :-[

Haven't even tried in at least 5-6 years.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: March 25, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
P90X anyone?  I'm strongly thinking about giving it a shot this summer.  I've heard a lot of really good things about it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #20: March 25, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »
P90X anyone?  I'm strongly thinking about giving it a shot this summer.  I've heard a lot of really good things about it.

:rofl:

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #21: March 25, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
Something about john bastow never looks right lol. I've heard P90X is great if you let it kick your ass like you are supposed to.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #22: March 25, 2010, 09:07:24 PM »
Something about john bastow never looks right lol. I've heard P90X is great if you let it kick your ass like you are supposed to.
Like his head is too small for his body or something :lol:

• babble on
« Reply #23: March 26, 2010, 01:58:01 AM »
Why do all of these body fetishists wax their chests?  They probably have brazilians too.  Are they even mammals?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #24: March 28, 2010, 12:02:02 AM »

i used to have the crossbow. its good for just starting to get in shape. but then after a while, you lose variety and i think the rods lose their resistance.  if you have convenient access to a reasonably priced gym, you might as well do that