Author Topic: Plan "C"  (Read 3714 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Plan "C"
« Reply #50: February 12, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »
here are the pitchers that are still available on the FA market:

see any that interest?

I don't think we'll get another pitcher unless we give up one of the guys we already have (uhhh.. Daniel Cabrera anyone?).

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #51: February 12, 2009, 08:18:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing our bullpen get better.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #52: February 12, 2009, 08:35:02 PM »

this

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #53: February 13, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »
here are the pitchers that are still available on the FA market:

see any that interest?

The only flyer I'd take on a starter would be Mulder if he passes a rigorous physical. 

For relievers I'd like to look at Ohman or The Chief.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: February 13, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »
The only flyer I'd take on a starter would be Mulder if he passes a rigorous physical. 

For relievers I'd like to look at Ohman or The Chief.

I would take Mulder if he would give us a team option for next year. Otherwise, he gets to essentially rehab with us, suck through spring, have a good fall and leave.

And anything but the Chief

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #55: February 13, 2009, 09:09:03 AM »

Boswell quoted Bowden this morning alluding to there being plenty of bullpen guys available.  While I like each of the young guys we have, it is unlikely they will all perform as we hope and if we could get at least  one top quality veteran arm for the 'pen, it would really help to solidify things.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #56: February 13, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
And anything but the Chief

But The Chief doesn't have to close.  I'm sure he'd take any role with any team at this point.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #57: February 13, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
But The Chief doesn't have to close.  I'm sure he'd take any role with any team at this point.

he's a power pitcher with no velocity - thats not a good combination

MrMadison

« Reply #58: February 13, 2009, 09:18:24 AM »
he's a power pitcher with no velocity - thats not a good combination

yep. 

though it was pretty amazing how he got the job done in 05 and 06...smoke and mirrors(and rfk) ftw.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #59: February 13, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »
yep. 

though it was pretty amazing how he got the job done in 05 and 06...smoke and mirrors(and rfk) ftw.
He would put on 2 or 3 guys and miraculously close out the game. I don't remember a time where I wasn't on pins and needles watching him pitch. I said it then and I'll say it again: He was a very overrated pitcher.

MrMadison

« Reply #60: February 13, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »
I wonder what Joe Beimel's contract demands are....

him and Wil Ohman.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #61: February 13, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »
yep. 

But smoke and mirrors could work in middle relief/innings eater role.  I don't see the harm if he's willing to take on a non-closers role.  He's got ML experience.  The only issue will arise when he challenges Dunn to a fight over #32.  :rofl:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #62: February 13, 2009, 09:48:02 AM »
The only issue will arise when he challenges Dunn to a fight over #32.  :rofl:

I think that put the final nail in the coffin for any hopes of the Chief's return to the Nats.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #63: February 13, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »
But smoke and mirrors could work in middle relief/innings eater role.  I don't see the harm if he's willing to take on a non-closers role.  He's got ML experience.  The only issue will arise when he challenges Dunn to a fight over #32.  :rofl:

I'd rather give a career minors guy a shot

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #64: February 15, 2009, 10:53:43 PM »
The only major bullpen acquisition the Nationals made this offseason was selecting right-hander Terrell Young from the Reds in the Rule 5 Draft. General manager Jim Bowden already announced that the team will not spend money on veteran relievers. For now, it would rather allocate its dollars on offense and starting pitching.

« Reply #65: February 20, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
XM says Orlando Hudson has signed with the Dodgers...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: February 20, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
XM says Orlando Hudson has signed with the Dodgers...

does that mean we can lock the assorted plan threads and look forward to the season with our roster as it stands now?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #67: February 20, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »
does that mean we can lock the assorted plan threads and look forward to the season with our roster as it stands now?

I expect to hear of a trade before o/d.

Offline natsdad

« Reply #68: February 20, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »

So which teams need young outfielders or players without a position.  I would assume Nats will have to throw in some young pitching.  Also every team knows Nats have to trade so probably not much value in return.  Suspect any deal will be for minor league players in return.  Best hope is to some how be able to dump payroll and keep our younger players.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: February 20, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »
So which teams need young outfielders or players without a position.  I would assume Nats will have to throw in some young pitching.  Also every team knows Nats have to trade so probably not much value in return.  Suspect any deal will be for minor league players in return.  Best hope is to some how be able to dump payroll and keep our younger players.

Bowden will stand pat if nothing is coming in return - he never just gives guys awat

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #70: February 21, 2009, 12:09:40 AM »
Bowden will stand pat if nothing is coming in return - he never just gives guys awat

he should make an exception for Kearns and Wily Mo. I'd trade Kearns and Wily Mo for a bag of ranch sunflower seeds and some grape big league chew.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #71: February 21, 2009, 03:40:40 AM »
he should make an exception for Kearns and Wily Mo. I'd trade Kearns and Wily Mo for a bag of ranch sunflower seeds and some grape big league chew.

ok.  that was funny... :clap:

I'm still interested to see if willy mo can do something....

« Reply #72: February 21, 2009, 07:50:01 AM »
I'm still interested to see if willy mo can do something....

Personally, I think we need to see if BOTH of these guys can do something with the subtraction of injuries and Lenny Harris.