Author Topic: Braves release Tom Glavine  (Read 1377 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Braves release Tom Glavine
« Topic Start: June 03, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »
[insert cheap joke]

[insert scrap-heap joke]

etc. etc.

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Braves release Tom Glavine
« Reply #1: June 03, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »
The emergence of Kris Medlen and the imminent arrival of Tommy Hanson made this possible.  I enjoyed watching Glavine when he was with the Braves back in the 90's.  He insists his career isn't over, but I think this recent injury may have spelt the end of the line for his career.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2: June 03, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »
Offer him a Job as the AAA pitching Coach.

no, seriously.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: June 03, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
glavine would easily be the best pitching coach we've ever had. just from reading the book about him, i'm convinced that he would do a really good job teaching our staff.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: June 03, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
The emergence of Kris Medlen and the imminent arrival of Tommy Hanson made this possible.  I enjoyed watching Glavine when he was with the Braves back in the 90's.  He insists his career isn't over, but I think this recent injury may have spelt the end of the line for his career.
Hanson makes his first career ML start on Saturday.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #5: June 03, 2009, 09:40:30 PM »
He insists his career isn't over

Another 3 years and he'll be old enough to play for the Giants.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #6: June 03, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »
The money may have had a lot to do with the decision.  If Glavine was brought up to the MLB team, his contract required him to be paid $1 million.  So now they do not owe it to him.  He apparently pitched well in his rehab start.  If he can still get people out, maybe he could be our closer/pitching coach.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: June 04, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
The money may have had a lot to do with the decision.  If Glavine was brought up to the MLB team, his contract required him to be paid $1 million.  So now they do not owe it to him.  He apparently pitched well in his rehab start.  If he can still get people out, maybe he could be our closer/pitching coach.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's what I read too.  He had 11 SCORELESS innings in his rehab assignment.  This was a financial decision and it really sucks!  To treat a player who's among the pitchers responsible for the team's success is reprehensible!  This guy will go to the Hall of Fame (eventually) and the Atlanta Braves will be remembered as the laughable team that let him go!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: June 04, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
That's what I read too.  He had 11 SCORELESS innings in his rehab assignment.  This was a financial decision and it really sucks!  To treat a player who's among the pitchers responsible for the team's success is reprehensible!  This guy will go to the Hall of Fame (eventually) and the Atlanta Braves will be remembered as the laughable team that let him go!

My guess it that when they signed him, they never actually expected him to make the team and when he did they panicked.

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: June 04, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »
I heard that he couldn't break 82. He was due $1M for a roster spot and $1m more for being on the team 31 days and again at 61 days. Sorry Tommy, but that kind of deal gets you cut when you throw 81.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #10: June 04, 2009, 10:20:28 AM »
Another 3 years and he'll be old enough to play for the Giants.

:rofl:

Would Tom Glavine want to coach for us? (Well coaching is different than wanting to actually play here but still)

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #11: June 04, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »
Hanson makes his first career ML start on Saturday.

Yep, I just picked him up in our fantasy league.  He is going to be a strikeout pitcher with great control.  Although I could see him getting hit hard/being pulled early because of pitch efficiency in his first few starts.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #12: June 04, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »

The fact that he had 11 scoreless innings means little to nothing

If he had lost more speed on his fastball and his off-speed pitches were worse off, I can completely understand why they cut him

If he was pitching well and his stuff was good enough, he wouldn't have been cut

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #13: June 04, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »
Glavine was a finese pitcher.  His speed never was that high.  He was the type that cut corners and movement, not based on speed.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #14: June 04, 2009, 12:30:26 PM »
Yep, I just picked him up in our fantasy league.  He is going to be a strikeout pitcher with great control.  Although I could see him getting hit hard/being pulled early because of pitch efficiency in his first few starts.
Our own Syracuse Chiefs knocked him around a week or so ago.

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: June 04, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »

That's because Pete Orr's a warrior.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #16: June 04, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
glavine would easily be the best pitching coach we've ever had. just from reading the book about him, i'm convinced that he would do a really good job teaching our staff.

Which book? TIA.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #17: June 04, 2009, 01:42:50 PM »

I wouldn't say knocked around.  5 hits and 1 ER, with 8 SO to boot?  Or how about a few weeks before when he threw 6 innings of 2 hit ball against the Chiefs with 10 SO.  The Chiefs did not knock around Hanson.  His combined numbers against Syracuse this season were 11.2 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, and 18 SO.  He had at least 6 SO in all of his minor league starts and only let up more than 1 run in two of his 11 starts (3 ER both times).

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #18: June 04, 2009, 02:48:44 PM »
I wouldn't say knocked around.  5 hits and 1 ER, with 8 SO to boot?  Or how about a few weeks before when he threw 6 innings of 2 hit ball against the Chiefs with 10 SO.  The Chiefs did not knock around Hanson.  His combined numbers against Syracuse this season were 11.2 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, and 18 SO.  He had at least 6 SO in all of his minor league starts and only let up more than 1 run in two of his 11 starts (3 ER both times).

owned

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #19: June 04, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »
Smoltz's take:

"Brave comments

"John Smoltz, who had his own issues with management in Atlanta, was outspoken about the Braves' decision yesterday to release 305-game winner Tom Glavine just as the lefthander was ready to come off the disabled list. Smoltz was disappointed by the way he felt he was treated by the Braves in the offseason, before he signed with the Red Sox.

"'Like a lot of things lately, they handled it - let me just say, in a very interesting way,' Smoltz said. 'One that leaves you scratching your head. It's unfortunate for Tommy. And obviously, I'm using a very soft word of disappointed. Because that ain't right. You go that far in a rehab and then right before the time they do that. It's not my problem anymore. I just feel bad for a teammate of mine that I had for a long time.'

"Asked if he felt the move was financially motivated, Smoltz said, 'I know too much. Put it that way.'"

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/06/04/red_sox_lowell_thrown_out_after_big_hit/?page=full

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #20: June 04, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Glavine was a finese pitcher.  His speed never was that high.  He was the type that cut corners and movement, not based on speed.

Yet his speed and stuff has declined in the last 5 years significantly.

Rumors are abound that he lost yet some more speed from an already aging arm

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #21: June 05, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »
Glavine would be a great pickup.  He would do wonders for Lannan and the other young pitchers. 

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #22: June 05, 2009, 02:15:05 AM »
Glavine would be a great pickup.  He would do wonders for Lannan and the other young pitchers. 

what about him himself?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #23: June 06, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
what about him himself?

as long as he's not mexican it doesn't matter how HE pitches.

right eagleskins?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #24: June 06, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
I wouldn't mind having him just to antagonise Mets fans.  The booing Heileman got would pale in comparison.