Author Topic: A roof?  (Read 9352 times)

Offline RL04

Re: A roof?
« Reply #100: November 27, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
Has a retractable roof ever been added onto a stadium that's already been built?

Roofs have been added to (already mentioned) Olympic Park and to Wimbledon Stadium (retractable).
One is being built on Arthur Ashe stadium.

An added roof is being discussed for Cleveland Browns Stadium.

It certainly can be done.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #101: November 27, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
Artist rendering from jdland

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #102: November 27, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »
Funny!

Offline madj55

« Reply #103: November 27, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
I'd rather see that huge baseball that we were supposed to have on top of the Red Loft than the roof.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #104: November 27, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
So, Ol' Man Lerner asked for $300M for a "roof" - what does he really want? $100M for what? Free Metro? Private Lerner helipad?  Drilling rights at Anacostia Park?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #105: November 27, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
Artist rendering from jdland

(Image removed from quote.)

That's a flashback SSB.   I remember checking the construction camera often.   Looks like that picture was taken from the early press box.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #106: November 27, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
It's also literally the FIRST link that comes up in a google search of "Sharon Pratt Kelly".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Pratt_Kelly

It's extensive.
I did the search again.  I guess the first three links for SPK are ads, then comes the wiki.  I clicked on the identical search  I ran before, but this time it seems more full.  SPK - she made us long for the crack smoker.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #107: November 27, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
PB69 hits 9000!
:clap:

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #108: November 27, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
:rofl: Winner

The Stras comment was a good one.  This one here was the best I've seen on Twitter:

Quote from: @dcuniverse
50% off Black Friday sale at #Nats Park team store. Pick up a jersey for $50 or a retractable roof for $150,000,000

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #109: November 27, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
PB69 hits 9000!
:clap:

Perfect timing, my family will be so proud when I make the announcement at Thanksgiving dinner, and Mom said I'd never amount to anything.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #110: November 27, 2013, 10:43:39 PM »
So...do the Lerners want a roof so the District can air condition Nats Park?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #111: November 28, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »
The Let Teddy Win blog comes out in favor of the roof in order to increase attendance.  Even when the game isn't rained out or delayed a poor forecast has an adverse affect on ticket sales, and 90+ degree days also deter many fans from attending.  With the MASN contract and big market status within MLB the Nats are more dependent on ticket sales than every other team in MLB.  If we want to have a sold out ballpark and be able to afford a big market payroll the roof would help significantly.

In 13 months DC will have a new mayor, we need to get a guy in place who will support the hometown Nats.

http://blog.letteddywin.com/2013/11/28/nationals-park-retractable-roof/

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #112: November 28, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
Why did I click on that link?

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #113: November 28, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
The Let Teddy Win blog comes out in favor of the roof in order to increase attendance.  Even when the game isn't rained out or delayed a poor forecast has an adverse affect on ticket sales, and 90+ degree days also deter many fans from attending.  With the MASN contract and big market status within MLB the Nats are more dependent on ticket sales than every other team in MLB.  If we want to have a sold out ballpark and be able to afford a big market payroll the roof would help significantly.

In 13 months DC will have a new mayor, we need to get a guy in place who will support the hometown Nats.

http://blog.letteddywin.com/2013/11/28/nationals-park-retractable-roof/

No thanks, I'd rather the team feel pressured to increase attendance by fielding a winning team - which they already have ample resources to do.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #114: November 28, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
City Council is more likely to back the construction of a 100' granite phallus in Sheridan Circle than another freebie for the Lerners.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #115: November 28, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
City Council is more likely to back the construction of a 100' granite phallus in Sheridan Circle than another freebie for the Lerners.   
Depends on how many inlaws nieces and nephews the Lerners can assemble to build it

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #116: November 28, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »

How long until Dan Snyder builds a retractable roof stadium bigger than Jerry Jones in DC? How much would you expect the DC council to pay? Not that they should, but how much of it do you think they would pay?

I'd like to see a mock up of what they are planning. If it's aesthetically pleasing and climate controlled, I wouldn't be against it, but I don't live in DC so I can't really say what is fair and what isn't.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #117: November 28, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
Good question.  A new football stadium in DC might be bad economics, but it would be a lot more politically palatable than the Lerners' latest shakedown attempt. 
How long until Dan Snyder builds a retractable roof stadium bigger than Jerry Jones in DC? How much would you expect the DC council to pay? Not that they should, but how much of it do you think they would pay?

I'd like to see a mock up of what they are planning. If it's aesthetically pleasing and climate controlled, I wouldn't be against it, but I don't live in DC so I can't really say what is fair and what isn't.

Offline madj55

« Reply #118: November 28, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
Good question.  A new football stadium in DC might be bad economics, but it would be a lot more politically palatable than the Lerners' latest shakedown attempt. 
Since Snyder will never change the team name, I don't think there will ever be a new stadium in DC. It's gonna be in NOVA.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #119: November 28, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
Since Snyder will never change the team name, I don't think there will ever be a new stadium in DC. It's gonna be in NOVA.

I can't see anywhere close enough in actually giving Snyder that kind of money. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #120: November 28, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
RL04's wet dream

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #121: November 28, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »

I disagree, big time. The Redskins and Washington D.C. go together hand in hand. Like it or not, they are bigger and will continue to be until the Nats win a WS. That being said, the Nats are definitely increasing in popularity but are not where the Skins are, even after 20 years of continued failure. I would not be surprised at all if Danny Boy built a new stadium in D.C. I can't imagine him being OK with Jurrah having a bigger stadium than him and the idea of being able to host a Super Bowl would be huge to him and the team. To the city itself? Maybe not, I'm not a financial guru.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #122: November 28, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
Roof? This is Warshnin, by golly. People have played professional baseball in DC since about 1870. Same weather: hot and humid.

Just win games and people will turn out.

Offline madj55

« Reply #123: November 28, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
I disagree, big time. The Redskins and Washington D.C. go together hand in hand. Like it or not, they are bigger and will continue to be until the Nats win a WS. That being said, the Nats are definitely increasing in popularity but are not where the Skins are, even after 20 years of continued failure. I would not be surprised at all if Danny Boy built a new stadium in D.C. I can't imagine him being OK with Jurrah having a bigger stadium than him and the idea of being able to host a Super Bowl would be huge to him and the team. To the city itself? Maybe not, I'm not a financial guru.
I never said the Redskins weren't more popular, but the only way D.C. let's him build a new stadium is if he changes the name which he's stated he won't do...PERIOD. Which leaves either staying at that dump FedEx (which is fitting for the franchise since we suck) or moving to VA.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #124: November 28, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
I never said the Redskins weren't more popular, but the only way D.C. let's him build a new stadium is if he changes the name which he's stated he won't do...PERIOD. Which leaves either staying at that dump FedEx (which is fitting for the franchise since we suck) or moving to VA.

DC will cave in two seconds if Snyder wanted to move back, the mayor has minimal public support on the issue.

The rumors I've been hearing are that Loudoun is making a push to bring in the team.