Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 1  (Read 35215 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 1
« Reply #25: April 27, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
that is not the real lineup. pay no mind to it

This.  Notice the "Unofficial Lineups".

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #26: April 27, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
And now notice the "Lineups Posted"... :D

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #27: April 27, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »
hernandez better get going this week or i'm thru with him. 

and i can't wait until gonzalez goes back to the bench/AAA.

come back guzman and harris!  NOW!

Offline PC

« Reply #28: April 27, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
I would have played Nieves against Santana and Flores in the other two games.  This goes back to my position of making best use of your talent.  Play your weaker roster in a game you're unlikely to win, in any event.  When you know Flores is going to miss a game, you play him in games they have the best chance of winning.

When you have a "less than stellar" roster, you have to make these kind of compromises.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: April 27, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
what?  That doesn't make any sense to me.

Offline PC

« Reply #30: April 27, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »
what?  That doesn't make any sense to me.

Flores played in game 1 and game 3.  Game 2 was a day game after a night game which is when he typically sits.  I propose playing him game 2 and 3, the Pelfrey and Perez games, and sitting him in game 1, the Santana game.

If he plays game 2 and 3, it's back to back day games, which the same length of time between back to back night games, which he typically plays.  In this case, it would have worked out perfectly, as far as the length of time between games and the quality of the opposing pitchers.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #31: April 27, 2009, 05:48:13 PM »
Flores played in game 1 and game 3.  Game 2 was a day game after a night game which is when he typically sits.  I propose playing him game 2 and 3, the Pelfrey and Perez games, and sitting him in game 1, the Santana game.

If he plays game 2 and 3, it's back to back day games, which the same length of time between back to back night games, which he typically plays.  In this case, it would have worked out perfectly, as far as the length of time between games and the quality of the opposing pitchers.
No, I get that part, but the part about not playing your best vs. the opponent's best.  That sounds a lot like conceeding the game. 

Offline PC

« Reply #32: April 27, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »
No, I get that part, but the part about not playing your best vs. the opponent's best.  That sounds a lot like conceeding the game. 

That's exactly what I'm proposing!  Keep your powder dry. You can't win every battle...

[fill in your own cliché]

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #33: April 27, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »
I agree with your line of thinking.

Besides, it's not as if playing your worst against Santana gives you a 0% chance.  It was Levale Speigner who outdueled him, after all.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: April 27, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »
That's exactly what I'm proposing!  Keep your powder dry. You can't win every battle...
We're well aware of that.  I don't think we're in the business of conceeding games.  I'll just say I disagree with the line of thinking.  Why don't we just call up some kid up from AA to throw against Santana if we're going to start conceeding the games.

Offline PC

« Reply #35: April 27, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »
We're well aware of that.  I don't think we're in the business of conceeding games.  I'll just say I disagree with the line of thinking.  Why don't we just call up some kid up from AA to throw against Santana if we're going to start conceeding the games.

Well, I wouldn't go that far! :lol:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #36: April 27, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
Because there's no point in that?  All you're doing is maximizing chances of winning through match-ups.

If you sacrifice the game against Santana, you minimize your chances of winning both games, but the difference will be statistically insignificant.  You give yourself a much improved chance of winning at least one game.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #37: April 27, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
Am i the only one who thinks the Nats are gonna win tonight?

Martis 6.2 ip, 6 h, 3 er, 2 bb, 4 k

Nats 6-4

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: April 27, 2009, 06:22:29 PM »
Because there's no point in that?  All you're doing is maximizing chances of winning through match-ups.

If you sacrifice the game against Santana, you minimize your chances of winning both games, but the difference will be statistically insignificant.  You give yourself a much improved chance of winning at least one game.
I wasn't serious about the calling up a AA player.  But the line of thinking that you rest your good players on the day when the other team throws their ace doesn't register with me.  I don't think that's a good way to approach that.

Offline PC

« Reply #39: April 27, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »

Actually it gives you the best chance to win two games, the Pelfrey and Perez starts.

Offline PC

« Reply #40: April 27, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »
I wasn't serious about the calling up a AA player.  But the line of thinking that you rest your good players on the day when the other team throws their ace doesn't register with me.  I don't think that's a good way to approach that.

But he was going to rest for one of the games anyway. Why not rest him for the game that, strategically, you have the least chance of winning and play him in the games that you have the best chance of winning?

If he was going to play in all three games then this wouldn't be an issue.

Offline blue911

« Reply #41: April 27, 2009, 06:26:04 PM »
Actually it gives you the best chance to win two games, the Pelfrey and Perez starts.

Nieves has 3 hits in 8 at bats against Santana. Opposite field hitters probably are more effective against Santana's change up.

Offline PC

« Reply #42: April 27, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »
Nieves has 3 hits in 8 at bats against Santana. Opposite field hitters probably are more effective against Santana's change up.

Then my plan gives you the best chance to win all three of them! :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #43: April 27, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
But he was going to rest for one of the games anyway. Why not rest him for the game that, strategically, you have the least chance of winning and play him in the games that you have the best chance of winning?

If he was going to play in all three games then this wouldn't be an issue.
I guess I'm coming from the mindset that you play to win all the games.  The best chance the team has to pull out the game vs. Santana is with Flores behind the plate.  A win in a game like that would do a lot of good for this team, conceeding it to maybe have a chance to win the next two games is a flawed strategy, IMO.

Offline PC

« Reply #44: April 27, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
I guess I'm coming from the mindset that you play to win all the games.  The best chance the team has to pull out the game vs. Santana is with Flores behind the plate.  A win in a game like that would do a lot of good for this team, conceeding it to maybe have a chance to win the next two games is a flawed strategy, IMO.

As it turned out, we likely wouldn't have won that Pelfrey game because we committed three errors and gave up four unearned runs.

I mean, my plan does require the team have a certain amount of fundamental soundness to have a chance of working.  :shock:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: April 27, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
As it turned out, we likely wouldn't have won that Pelfrey game because we committed three errors and gave up four unearned runs.

I mean, my plan does require the team have a certain amount of fundamental soundness to have a chance of working.  :shock:
Right.  There's that too.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #46: April 27, 2009, 07:04:09 PM »
This should be a high scoring game. I think Martis will have a rough outing.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #47: April 27, 2009, 07:08:12 PM »
hanging slider and Anderson swings right through it

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #48: April 27, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
this ump's strike zone is gigantic. take note now, offense. he's calling everything a strike.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #49: April 27, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »
I had a a rough, long day at work.  Please, Nationals, give me a win! :pray: