Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition  (Read 42164 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition
« Reply #600: June 14, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
I've got a friend trying to find a home for a 61" Trek 1200.  I'm 5' 10".  I'm thinking that would be more uncomfortable than it would be useful.  Any insight here?  Would it still be worth taking for a test ride?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #601: June 14, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »
I've got a friend trying to find a home for a 61" Trek 1200.  I'm 5' 10".  I'm thinking that would be more uncomfortable than it would be useful.  Any insight here?  Would it still be worth taking for a test ride?

Go ahead and give it a spin since bike frames are, to say the least, not standard due to differences in geometries.  I'm 6'3" and have found that I fit comfortably on 56cm, 60cm, 55cm, 61cm, and 59cm frames some by the same manufacturers.  You'll know it's too big the second you try to straddle the top tube.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #602: June 14, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
I'll do that.  I've never really test ridden a road bike before.  What would you more advanced riders suggest I look for in a test.  This is from a friend trying to clean out a garage of some old stuff her ex left behind (why the bike got left is beyond me...), not a dealer or a used bike salesman or something like that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #603: June 14, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
Can you comfortably come off the seat onto the top tube - in a hurry - and not tag your 'nads?

If so, does it matter if it fits *perfectly* and the price is right? :shrug:

I've always been more comfortable on bikes that are theoretically to big for me. The 1200's top tube is going to be the limiting factor - it's parallel to the ground.

I'll do that.  I've never really test ridden a road bike before.  What would you more advanced riders suggest I look for in a test.  This is from a friend trying to clean out a garage of some old stuff her ex left behind (why the bike got left is beyond me...), not a dealer or a used bike salesman or something like that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #604: June 14, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »
Assuming you don't rack your nuts on the top tube make sure the tires are pumped to the correct PSI (probably 110 for a road bike, should be on the tire what the PSI is).  If your feet can't reach the ground when you straddle the top tube the bike is just too big.  If it's not too big break out the WD-40 (bring some with you) and de-rusty the chain (you'll want a new chain if you decide to take this bike) and make sure all of the derailers shift and that the brakes work.

Once you're confident the bike is road test ready figure out your seat height (pretty straightforward) and then take it for a spin.  Depending on how long it's sat in storage it might need all of the cables replaced and a total cleaning (~$100) but ride it first and see if it's smooth and fun or if it doesn't feel like a good fit.  It being a 61cm bike it's probably going to feel like you're stretched out like Mr. Fantastic but on the off-chance it doesn't, see how it handles when you take hills and hit the flats wide open.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #605: June 14, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #606: June 14, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
can anyone make a recommendation as to where in nova to buy a bike for a 12 year old suitable for 20 mile road trips and maybe the occasional off-road trip?  I'm thinking Costco to avoid paying $400 for a bike he'll outgrow in 2 years.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #607: June 14, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »
can anyone make a recommendation as to where in nova to buy a bike for a 12 year old suitable for 20 mile road trips and maybe the occasional off-road trip?  I'm thinking Costco to avoid paying $400 for a bike he'll outgrow in 2 years.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A BIKE AT COSTCO, WALMART, TARGET, or any other BIG BOX store.  If he's 12 get a decent mountain bike or hybrid at a local bike shop (Spokes, Revolution) that's you can get some resell value out of when he does outgrow it.  Buying it a LBS does two things for you - 1) it gives you a place to take it during the first year to get free tune-ups and minor repairs and 2) it starts a relationship that can be very beneficial for you should you decide to want additional bikes in the future. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #608: June 14, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
I'd try to stay away from Costco and others. The bikes look okay but aren't of very high quality. Worse, they often aren't well assembled. Try a local bike shop. They may be more competitive than you think. You could also try a place like Performance, or just do research and buy a better one used. Craigslist often has tons of better bikes at a fair price. Your local guy can tune it for you if you don't feel capable of doing it yourself.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #609: June 14, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
For the real bargain hunter, local police will sell off recovered property including bicycles, usually twice a year.  Kids bikes go dirt cheap.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #610: June 14, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »

There's a guy at the Clarendon/Arlington Farmer's markets sells bikes on Saturday mornings... has anyone seen or heard anything about that guy?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #611: June 14, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »
There's a guy at the Clarendon/Arlington Farmer's markets sells bikes on Saturday mornings... has anyone seen or heard anything about that guy?

Pretty sure that's the same guy from the Craigslist ad.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #612: June 14, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
Spikes etc. in belle haven is staffed by nice helpful people, granted I've mostly bought stuff for strollers there

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #613: June 14, 2012, 08:14:46 PM »
Spokes is a great bike shop. I usually deal with the one in Alexandria but they're all aces.

Online imref

« Reply #614: June 15, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
I'd try to stay away from Costco and others. The bikes look okay but aren't of very high quality. Worse, they often aren't well assembled. Try a local bike shop. They may be more competitive than you think. You could also try a place like Performance, or just do research and buy a better one used. Craigslist often has tons of better bikes at a fair price. Your local guy can tune it for you if you don't feel capable of doing it yourself.

thanks everyone, we might head over to REI or a LBS.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #615: June 15, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
You already got a ton of advice, but don't be afraid to shop around. My local REI didn't have a great selection of bikes but one of the LBSes I went to (Revolution) ended up having the perfect fit. Could also look for non-chain/family owned LBSes as well, they tend to have a much more varied selection and might even have a decent selection of used bikes (for example, College Park Bicycles has quite a collection of used bicycles on display along with new models).

Good luck :)

Online imref

« Reply #616: June 16, 2012, 09:55:45 PM »
thanks for the input everyone.  we went to a local bike shop (A-1 in Manassas) where I bought my Specialized a few years ago, the selection kind of sucked and the guy who helped us seemed like he didn't really know what to suggest.  We ended up going to REI and were helped by two outstanding sales people.  We ended up getting the Novara Portal, a bit pricier than I had planned on spending, but he should be able to keep it for 3-4 years as he's just barely tall enough for it now (it's a small).

Thanks again!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #617: June 17, 2012, 07:08:41 AM »
Good choice. One thing pretty certain about 12 years olds... they grow.

And think of it this way, if he doesn't trash it (make sure he doesn't trash it), you'll be able to sell it for the difference between what you paid for it and what you would have paid for junk. Anyway, that's the line I always used on my wife. :)

thanks for the input everyone.  we went to a local bike shop (A-1 in Manassas) where I bought my Specialized a few years ago, the selection kind of sucked and the guy who helped us seemed like he didn't really know what to suggest.  We ended up going to REI and were helped by two outstanding sales people.  We ended up getting the Novara Portal, a bit pricier than I had planned on spending, but he should be able to keep it for 3-4 years as he's just barely tall enough for it now (it's a small).

Thanks again!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #618: June 17, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
The new Brooks B17 saddle (pictured below) :az: :az: :az: I got on clearance for $70 should be here tomorrow.  Throw in my new wheel being ready on Tuesday and this is shaping up to be a great cycling week. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #619: June 18, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »
Classic. I had one of those on the Raleigh "English Racer" three speed that I was forced to ride as a young teenager (before I had my own money and bought a ten speed Raleigh Dura Ace, which I eventually traded for a Mercier frame, before the Bob Jackson...)

The new Brooks B17 saddle (pictured below) :az: :az: :az: I got on clearance for $70 should be here tomorrow.  Throw in my new wheel being ready on Tuesday and this is shaping up to be a great cycling week. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #620: June 18, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
The current saddle I'm using is at least eight years old and is one rough bump away from being a taint skewer.  I've heard that for big riders the Brooks are a really good saddle and for $70 I figured it was werth a shot.  I'm hoping that the holes in the center will alleviate some of the pressure from my current saddle but, if not, I can always send it back for an exchange. 

What I'm really excited about is seeing this on my rear wheel:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #621: June 18, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
Little by little the 5th horseman of the apocalypse is being built. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #623: June 20, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
That's total bullcrap and the family should be horsewhipped into oblivion for filing that suit.  If you're dumb enough to do crap like that you deserve to eat pavement and have your brains spilled on the street. 

Not that I'm immune from that statements I'm shaving 2mph off from having the KOM record on the 14th Street bridge of 33.2mph.  Just imagine what it would be if I wasn't lugging an extra 150lbs around.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #624: June 21, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
Think I'll be picking up another bottle cage before the rubber hits the road this evening...