Author Topic: Nats 2013 Projected Payroll, Needs, and Possible Solutions  (Read 7169 times)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
I wouldn't totally discount Lannan- if they really cared about the relationship, they would have traded him, and he's going to be arb eligible, so it's not like they have to sit down and mutually agree to a contract. Right now, he's making $5 million now, so maybe a little over $4 million (the maximum paycut is 20% and I can't imagine he would get close to that with almost no starts in the majors) would be the number next year. If they can find a better fifth starter for less great, otherwise I'd imagine they'd offer Lannan arbitration at which point, he can either retire or pitch for the nats next year.
It's a slippery slope when you start disregarding what a player wants completely.  Lannan would be traded if the yield for him was right not because we want to get rid of Lannan.  Having him as a 6th starter is great.  We would get rid of him for the right value because he asked for it and if you get a reputation of blatantly disregarding the desires of players who have done a lot for your franchise you lose attractiveness to potential free agents.