Author Topic: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 1  (Read 46290 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 1
« Reply #25: April 06, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »
Yeah, I might have switched Belliard and Dunn around personally...I trust Ronnie more in RBI situations than Kearns...

I trust belliard in the 8 hole (but only becase we're in the NL, 9th for interleague)

Offline doubler

« Reply #26: April 06, 2009, 10:07:02 AM »
Belliard in CLEANUP?!?!?!

Kearns is batting 6th....I would have put Ronnie in the 6 hole

Offline doubler

« Reply #27: April 06, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »
I trust belliard in the 8 hole (but only becase we're in the NL, 9th for interleague)

I think Belliard is a better hitter than Kearns...at least for some reason I trust him more than Kearns....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #28: April 06, 2009, 10:09:10 AM »
If by "new zone" do you mean in the last 80 years? But it has been used by managers as far back as John McGraw's days. The idea has always been to make a pitcher have to throw strikes with as many of his pitches as possible. Maybe it's a new term but the idea of not having players with the same hitting zone in back to back positions has been around forever.

The only problem I've ever had with this theory is that it gives WAY too much credit to the moron umpires.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #29: April 06, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
Kearns is batting 6th....I would have put Ronnie in the 6 hole

You had mentioned switching Dunn and Ronnie - check your post :P

« Reply #30: April 06, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »
We'll be seeing the new road jerseys in action today. I wonder how they will look with the teal and orange background of Dolphin Stadium.

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: April 06, 2009, 10:16:57 AM »
The only problem I've ever had with this theory is that it gives WAY too much credit to the moron umpires.

But you have that problem regardless. You know how much pitchers love to get in a groove and throw the same pitch umpteen times in row.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #32: April 06, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »
I don't know why some of you are still complaining, it's only wasted energy, nothing you can do.  Manny is the manager and he knows more baseball than all of us combined.  Watch Kearns come out and be productive out in rightfield.  Watch Milledge come out and steal 30 bases and become a decent outfielder/leadoff hitter.

The season is just about to start and people are already whining.  Just suck it up, root for whoever is out there wearing the Nats uni's and play ball.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #33: April 06, 2009, 10:26:28 AM »
I don't know why some of you are still complaining, it's only wasted energy, nothing you can do.  Manny is the manager and he knows more baseball than all of us combined.  Watch Kearns come out and be productive out in rightfield.  Watch Milledge come out and steal 30 bases and become a decent outfielder/leadoff hitter.

The season is just about to start and people are already whining.  Just suck it up, root for whoever is out there wearing the Nats uni's and play ball.

And two weeks from now when we're already 6 games back?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #34: April 06, 2009, 10:31:12 AM »
And two weeks from now when we're already 6 games back?

That's the spirit  :?

I don't care who's out there, I'm going to be rooting for them.  Of course Kearns has every chance of being a productive player as he does the 'ole Kearns we know, but he's been on a tear this spring and obviously the think tank likes what they see, so let's just go with it.  Dukes/Willingham are going to get plenty of at bats no matter what.  Let's face it, injuries happen and who knows maybe someone struggles and a switch is made. 

Let's go Nats!!!

Offline doubler

« Reply #35: April 06, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
You had mentioned switching Dunn and Ronnie - check your post :P

lol...oops....its still early and its Monday...thats my excuse!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #36: April 06, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
lol...oops....its still early and its Monday...thats my excuse!

It was great for a laugh ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #37: April 06, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »
I see you're smarting over the fact that Kearns has been an all-around better player than your man-crush.

Get over it. The most productive players should be the ones playing.

it doesn't matter where you bat Kearns- he's going to kill the lineup regardless. however, i'm confident the rest of the team will be able to overcome his trademark weak grounders and pop outs.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #38: April 06, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
4:10 start time = dumbest start time ever

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: April 06, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »
Get over it. The most productive players should be the ones playing.

This from JMad:

Manny is not consistent...

he's playing Favorites instead of playing the best players, and he's using his favoritism to hold players in similar positions to different sets of criteria.

Dukes is being judged on his ST stats, Milledge is granted leniency and handed his starting job due to stats from the previous year, despite his ST stats being just as bad. 

Dukes is not afforded the same leniency that Milledge is.

and that's what infuriates me about this.

if our starting OF was Dunn-Kearns-Willingham, I'd have no problem with it, as it is consistent with the theme of players earning their spots within our glut of OFers..

but handing Milledge a starter spot from day one and then anointing him the leadoff hitter a week later, regardless of whether he earns it or not, and then benching Dukes because he "didn't earn it" is ridiculous.

The same could be said for Kearns.  Other than a streaky Spring, what exactly has Kearns done to earn the spot?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #40: April 06, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »
The same can be said for Bergmann vs. Tavarez. Tavarez didn't do crap and Bergmann was lights-out, yet guess who gets sent down?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: April 06, 2009, 11:25:05 AM »
The same can be said for Bergmann vs. Tavarez. Tavarez didn't do crap and Bergmann was lights-out, yet guess who gets sent down?

Bergmann has a long history of sucking with this team.  Tavarez has only sucked elsewhere.

Offline blue911

« Reply #42: April 06, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »

How was Bergmann lights out?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #43: April 06, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
I agree about Milledge, and Manny does seem inconsistent. I think Dukes would be a better choice for Center. Kearns is the best defensive outfielder of the bunch, although I know defense is not much regarded around here. He's hitting very well. You wouldn't start him? I would.

But I'd have Dukes in center. I don't get Manny's blind spot on this. Maybe he's trade bait?

This from JMad:

The same could be said for Kearns.  Other than a streaky Spring, what exactly has Kearns done to earn the spot?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #44: April 06, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
Can we just stop nagging and complaining for ONE day? That'd be awesome.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #45: April 06, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »

+1

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #46: April 06, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »
No kidding.  It's opening day!   :woop:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #47: April 06, 2009, 11:39:42 AM »

That's what i'm trying to say ... the season is about to start, just support whoever the hell is out there.  If it's Justin Maxwell in center, great, go J-Max.  If flippin Kip Wells makes the rotation at some point, so be it.  Everyone is going to get playing time, it'll all work out. 

First pitch in 4 and a half hours ... IT'S ALL HAPPENING!!!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #48: April 06, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
Can't wait! Is it on MASN HD? Nope, damnit. But I guess they gotta put the Yanks on.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #49: April 06, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »
Nats
Advantage
Fish
(CF) Lastings Milledge
(SS) Cristian Guzman
(3B) Ryan Zimmerman
(LF) Adam Dunn
(1B) Nick Johnson
(RF) Austin Kearns
(2B) Ronnie Belliard
(SC) Jesus Flores
(SP) John Lannan
=
<--
-->
<--
=
-->
=
<--
=

Emilio Bonifacio (3B)
Cameron Maybin (CF)
Hanley Ramirez (SS)
Jorge Cantu (1B)
Dan Uggla (2B)
Jeremy Hermida (LF)
Cody Ross (RF)
Ronny Paulino (SC)
Ricky Nolasco (SP)
Should be a close game. I think it's going to come down to what the bottom of each lineup does.