Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2012)  (Read 164764 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
MLB & Division Watching (2012)
« Topic Start: January 05, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
Ever seen a kid put up numbers like this before?

Oscar Hernandez, who is an 18 year old playing for Tampa Bay in their rookie league VWL team (think DSL for Nats) put up this stat line this year. And no, these are not misprints.

.402/.503/.732/1.236 in 239 AB's with 21 HR, or, one every 11 AB's. Comes out to a .331 ISO.

He also plays catcher.

:smh:

Edit by Nathan:  Continued from 2011 discussion here:
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=21109.0

Online HalfSmokes

Re: MLB & Division Watching (2012)
« Reply #1: January 05, 2012, 01:27:51 PM »
Ever seen a kid put up numbers like this before?

apparently yes,

The Bad:

I do not know what the stadiums are like in that league but the Rays affiliate has more than 1/3 of the entire league's homeruns. Even if you take Hernandez's 19 out the Rays affiliate would still lead the league in homeruns. Could they be playing in a hitter's haven? It sure sounds like it. The Rays affiliate has lead the league in homeruns each year since it has had its own team from 2008-2011. The former league record holder played for none other than the Rays affiliate when he set the record at 15 homeruns. He is now with the Blue Jays low-A affiliate in Vancouver and is hitting .250/.282/.412 with 2 homeruns in 68 at-bats as a 21 year old.

Hernandez's OBP has also been helped by six unintentional walks and by being hit by 13 pitches. The league is a pretty wild one with 313 HBP in only 334 total games. By contrast, the Major Leagues have 914 HBP in 2924 games.

On defense he has what looks like a good success rate of throwing runners out but the league average is almost 40% but he is still above-average. But he also has 12 passed balls and 8 errors in only 35 games behind the plate. He has been the DH in the other 17 games.

The league rules state that "No player may have four or more years of prior Minor League Service. Draft-eligible players may not participate in the DSL or VSL, with the exception of two players from Puerto Rico." And age problems are a real concern that arise.

The Conclusion:

From the research I have done I found Hernandez is far and away having a historic season in the VSL. Sadly, though, the best hitting prospects to come through the VSL have been Jose Altuve, Ruben Tejada, Ezequiel Carrera, Luis Durango, and Argenis Reyes. The league only dates back to 2005 and is very young so some of these guys could still have potential careers but the early success rate of this league is not promising.

http://www.draysbay.com/2011/7/22/2287126/who-is-oscar-hernandez

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: January 24, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
Cody Ross to the Red Sox - 1 yr / $3MM.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3: January 24, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
Cody Ross to the Red Sox - 1 yr / $3MM.

Damnit!  This has just not been my day.  Now I have to get a Cody Ross Red Sux shirt.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #4: January 25, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »
Now I have to get a Cody Ross Red Sux shirt.

How many shirts and hats do you have? It seems like you would have an entire walk in closet of baseball gear by now.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #5: January 25, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
How many shirts and hats do you have? It seems like you would have an entire walk in closet of baseball gear by now.

:lmao: I just remembered an episode of Venture Brothers where Henchman 24 calls Henchman 21 and tells him to get ready, I'll have to see if I can find a clip of it later.  That's MDS getting ready in the AM.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #6: January 25, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »

Right now only two MLB shirts - both Manny Ramirez Dodgers shirts in size 3 XLT.  I'm another 30-40lbs, at least, away from being able to wear a 2XLT or even a 2XL, so the Mike Stanton shirt will have to wait until mid-summer, unfortunately. 

As far as hats go - I think I have around 50 MLB on-field authentic hats right now.  I've got multiples of some teams (Nats, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Brewers) and zero of others (Yankees, Red Sux, Angels, SF, Oakland).  It's an addiction to say the least.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #7: January 26, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
As far as hats go - I think I have around 50 MLB on-field authentic hats right now.

That is a lot of hats but not as many as I would have thought. Granted there could be hundreds of other hats lurking under other categories. Not ribbing you, I have a lot of hats myself although I suspect  you have more.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: January 26, 2012, 08:03:34 AM »
MDS - do you prefer the fitted hats or the adjustable.  I hate fitted hats because I never can get the size right.  My head is pointy from being a bureaucrat.   By the way, have you noticed if any of your hats say "Twins" on the manufacturer's label?  The Twins I think have the rights to the MLB souvnir adjustables.  I went to high school with Mark DeAngelo, the son of one of the DeAngelo twins that ran the souvenir shop outside Fenway.  He may run the company now.  They have the rights.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #9: January 26, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
I hate fitted hats because I never can get the size right. 

Are you sizing and stretching them?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: January 26, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
That is a lot of hats but not as many as I would have thought. Granted there could be hundreds of other hats lurking under other categories. Not ribbing you, I have a lot of hats myself although I suspect  you have more.

You'd be right and you'd wrong in assuming that. 

About five years ago I went to buy a new Dodgers hat and discovered that my head was no longer a 7 1/2 but instead a 7 5/8.  This was right after MLB switched from the old gray underbrim to black and implemented the new wicking material in their hats, which, I had long assumed, meant the end of being able to stretch out or shrink authentic on-field hats.  As a result of this discovery, I wound up rebuying most of my old hats in the new style and trashed all of my old ones that I wasn't able to donate or give to my dad (a fellow hat addict). 

I'd have a lot more hats but there are some teams I can never rep (Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, Angels, Padres) and some teams that I would rep that have ugly hats on-field authentics (White Sox, Astros).   One thing that I hope MLB continues doing is the "Turn Back the Clock" games.  I bought a ton of hats that I always wanted to have an authentic on-field version of this past year that were only available with the New Era flag on the left side prior.  The coolest of these hats being the block W Nationals hat, the all black Padres, the Brooklyn Dodgers B, and the Seattle Mariners '80s pitchfork.  I would have gotten the Kansas City Royals red "TBTC" hat but it had a red underbrim, which looked clownish.

My favorite hat, which I hope this team never moves away from is this:

With this one a close, close second:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: January 26, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »
Do we even wear the Chief Wahoo hat anymore? I thought the block C was the official hat now.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: January 26, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
MDS - do you prefer the fitted hats or the adjustable.

Fitted on-field authentics only.  Growing up poor like I did, when I got my first authentic MLB hat (a Cubs hat) I always said I'd never wear anything else. 

I hate fitted hats because I never can get the size right.  My head is pointy from being a bureaucrat.   By the way, have you noticed if any of your hats say "Twins" on the manufacturer's label?  The Twins I think have the rights to the MLB souvnir adjustables.  I went to high school with Mark DeAngelo, the son of one of the DeAngelo twins that ran the souvenir shop outside Fenway.  He may run the company now.  They have the rights.
[/quote]

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #13: January 26, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
I had no idea ones hat size could change. I hope mine stays the same. That would suck.

I have around twenty baseball hats with vast majority of them being Nationals, toss in a few PADI, Sao Paulo football, Cubs, and oddball hats and that rounds out the baseball caps. Where it really begins are other hats, I have a couple fedoras, a porkpie, a derby, an Irish derby, some renn fair along with serveral others bringing me up to around 35-45 hats in all.

I love my black and greyish-silver Nationals cap with the interlocking D.C. logo. Close second for the black and red with the curly W. My most garish baseball cap is actually my Canberra Raider (NRL Rugby).

The coloring is like this one, although more centered in terms of the logos.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #14: January 26, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
Do we even wear the Chief Wahoo hat anymore? I thought the block C was the official hat now.

At some point I'm probably going to have to buy a box of the all blue Chief Wahoo hats just to make sure I've always got one.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #15: January 26, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »
If we're talking any type of hat I've got a number of Kangol hats that I wear when I'm meeting with the higher ups and wearing a suit.  It's my way of staying true to the Streetz® while being another cog in the capitalism machine and an homage to my hero Jimmy Jump:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #16: January 26, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »
Unfortunately I can't find a photo of just the hat, but my favorite all-time hat I own is one I picked up at the 2003 College World Series.

Black hat with a Stanford tree logo. Awesome.

Here's a small pic of me wearing it back in 2005(?)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #17: January 26, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Unfortunately I can't find a photo of just the hat, but my favorite all-time hat I own is one I picked up at the 2003 College World Series.

Black hat with a Stanford tree logo. Awesome.

Here's a small pic of me wearing it back in 2005(?)

That was the first year of the championship series, right?  Rice vs. Stanford with's Rice's 3 headed monster?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: January 26, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »
That was the first year of the championship series, right?  Rice vs. Stanford with's Rice's 3 headed monster?

Yep.

Niemann, Humber and Townsend with Aardsma closing.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #19: January 26, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
I would buy a TON of MiLB hats if not for that stupid New Era logo on the side.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: January 26, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
Yep.

Niemann, Humber and Townsend with Aardsma closing.

that was my favorite year working at the CWS.  That Stanford team was a lot of fun, too.  Had Carlos Quentin playing hurt and making plays all over the place.  Jed Lowrie and Sam Fuld too.  Ryan Garko was catching and stole a cherry coke from me.  Good dude though.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #21: January 26, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »
I also grew from a 7 1/2 to a 7 5/8. It shot a hole in my hat collection. I gave most of my old ones away.

MDS, why do you hate the Padres?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: January 26, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
He's anti-religion.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #23: January 26, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
MDS, why do you hate the Padres?

He's anti-religion.

Their hats are ugly.