Author Topic: P-Nats Newsletter: November 2006 + Mike O'Connor interview  (Read 886 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/

* Potomac Nationals News *

The Potomac Nationals announced today that all ticket packages for the 2007 season are now available.  Ticket packages include the Uncle Slam Full Season Plan and the Junior Slam Weekend Plan.   The full season plan consists of all 70 home dates, while the weekend plan is comprised of all Friday, Saturday, and Sunday home dates, as well as Opening Night and the 4th of July.  New for 2007, both plans will include complimentary VIP parking.

Also, the Nationals unveiled three different Five Game Fan Packs which can be combined to form a ten or 15-game package.  All 5-game plans will include a free logo baseball, 10-game plans will include a Potomac Nationals cap, and 15-game plans will include both items.

Potomac plays a 140-game schedule, with half played at G. Richard Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia.  The Nationals recently changed standard weekday game times to 7:35 p.m.  Saturday game times at Pfitzner Stadium will remain at 7:05 p.m. and Sundays at either 1:05 p.m. or 6:05 p.m. All game dates and times are subject to change. Gates at Pfitzner Stadium open one hour prior to game time Sunday through Friday and 90 minutes prior to game time on Saturday.

Potomac opens the season with a three-game series in Lynchburg, Virginia, beginning on Thursday, April 5.  The Nationals return to Pfitzner Stadium for the home opener on Monday, April 9 versus the Salem Avalanche.

Check out www.potomacnationals.com throughout the off-season for team news and updates on 2007 ticket information.

------------------------------------------------------------

Catching up with?Mike O?Connor

This week the Potomac Nationals are catching up with Mike O'Connor. Mike is a left-handed pitcher who is currently playing for the Washington Nationals. We had a chance to catch up with Mike recently to ask him a few questions about his experiences this season.  

P-Nats: This must be a very exciting season for you Mike. What can you tell us about your overall experience this year and your rise to the big leagues?

Mike O'Connor: This year was interesting and surprising year and I learned a lot. Coming into the season I was expecting to begin the year in AA but instead was assigned to AAA and then 3 weeks later was starting a game against the Cardinals. The main thing I learned is that once you get past the media, big stadiums and fans that the game is not that much different than it is in Potomac.

P-Nats: What has been your most memorable Major League experience this season?

O'Connor: It would have to be either my first win against the Mets or pitching against the Yankees at home in front of a sellout crowd. I guess I would have to say my first win if I had to pick one.

P-Nats: You were on the disabled list during the season. What can you tell us about your injury and how is it coming along?

O'Connor: I went on the DL for pretty much all of August with and elbow injury. I was able to pitch the last month without any problems and hopefully it is something that is behind me.

P-Nats: In college you pitched for George Washington University. Did you expect that you would make it to the major leagues this fast?

O'Connor: Coming out of college I really never placed any expectations on when I would make it to the big leagues. There are just so many things that you really can't control, but obviously you want to get there as soon as you can.

P-Nats: You played for the Potomac Nationals during the 2005 season. Tell us about your experience playing for the P-Nats.  

O'Connor: I had a great time playing in Potomac last season. It was the first time that I was able to play close to home which is always nice. It would have been nice had we been able to make the playoffs. It was probably the best team I played on during my time in the minors and the coaching staff was great as well as the fans and booster club.

P-Nats: This year you were on the cover of the Potomac Nationals game program and pocket schedule. How does it feel to be the hometown poster boy for the P-Nats?

O'Connor: It was kind of strange to see myself on something like that. But it was nice to see.

P-Nats: This season you have been used primarily as a starting pitcher until recently they made you available out of the bullpen. Which do you prefer starting or relief pitching?

O'Connor: I feel like I can do both. I would like to start, but if the team feels like they need me in the bullpen I think I can help the team there as well.

P-Nats: Mike do you have anything you would like to say to our fans here in Potomac?

O'Connor: Thank you for all your support and it was great to see a bunch of you out at RFK this season and hopefully I will see all of you there next season again.

P-Nats: Thank you Mike and best of luck to you next season! You have made us all very proud!

Knorr Named Potomac Manager for 2007 Season

The Washington Nationals named Randy Knorr manager of the Potomac Nationals. Nationals Vice President and General Manager Jim Bowden, Assistant General Manager/Vice President of Player Development Bob Boone, and Minor League Director Andy Dunn made the announcement yesterday.

Knorr returns to Potomac after splitting the 2006 season between the P-Nats and the Washington Nationals. He was summoned to Washington on June 15th after then bullpen coach John Wetteland was relieved of his duties. While in Potomac, Knorr posted a 31 - 36 record while making a strong run at the first-half Carolina League championship.

Randy led the Savannah Sand Gnats (A - South Atlantic League) to a 62 - 76 season in 2005 as his first year as a coach.

He spent parts of 11 seasons in the Major Leagues with Toronto ('91 - '95), Houston ('96 - '97, '99), Florida ('98), Texas ('00) and Montreal ('01) where he hit 24 home runs and drove in 88 runs in 253 career Major League games.

Welcome back, Randy!

------------------------------------------------
New Weekday Game Times

7:35 Starts Aim to Relieve Traffic Concerns

The Potomac Nationals announced that the weekday game times, originally scheduled for 7:05 p.m., have been moved to 7:35 p.m. for the 2007 season. The announcement was made by Potomac Nationals Vice President & General Manager Bobby Holland.

?We feel that the later game times will give our fans more time to get to the stadium on weekdays,? said Holland. ?Given our traffic situation in Northern Virginia, we think this could be a win-win for both our fans and our attendance.?

Potomac plays a 140-game schedule, with half played at G. Richard Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia. The game time changes will affect 45 Nationals home games during the upcoming season. There will be four exceptions to the standard weekday game time, including two 12:05 p.m. ?Summer Camp Day? games, to be held on June 26 and August 15. The other non-standard weekday game times for the 2007 season are on Memorial Day, 1:05 p.m., and July 4, 6:35 p.m.

Saturday game times at Pfitzner Stadium will remain at 7:05 p.m. and Sundays at either 1:05 p.m. or 6:05 p.m. All game dates and times are subject to change. Gates at Pfitzner Stadium open one hour prior to game time Sunday through Friday and 90 minutes prior to game time on Saturday.

The Nationals will open the season with a three-game series in Lynchburg, Virginia, beginning on Thursday, April 5. Then, Potomac will celebrate the home opener on Monday, April 9 versus the Salem Avalanche, an affiliate of the Houston Astros.

Check out www.potomacnationals.com throughout the off-season for team news and updates on 2007 ticket information.

Inaugural Toy Drive and Holiday Fan Fest

Get in the holiday spirit with the P-Nats!

The Potomac Nationals and Toys for Tots have paired together this holiday season for the Potomac Nationals Inaugural Toy Drive.  Toys will be collected at G. Richard Pfitzner Stadium during regular business hours starting on Monday, November 27.  The Toy Drive will end on Friday, December 15.  Please drop off new, unwrapped toys and you will receive a special voucher for a free photo with Santa Claus and Uncle Slam at the Holiday Fan Fest on December 9, 2006.  U.S. Marines will be on hand to receive toys at the Holiday Fun Fest. The Potomac Nationals are excited to help the United States Marine Corps in their annual toy drive and we hope our fans will help this worthy cause and bring joy to children this holiday season.

The Potomac Nationals Holiday Fan Fest at the Pfitz is an all day event scheduled for Saturday, December 9, 2006 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm for all fans!  Get in the holiday spirit with photo opportunities with Santa Claus and Uncle Slam in our decorated clubhouse!  Photos are free with a Toys for Tots donation or $5 at the door, with all proceeds benefiting a local charity.   Enjoy free refreshments and visit with former P-Nat and current Washington National pitcher Mike O?Connor, who will be on hand to sign autographs from 1:00-2:00 pm.  

Need the perfect gift for the baseball fan in your family?  Visit the Potomac Nationals ticket office during the Holiday Fan Fest for ticket information and season and ticket package sales! Our new ticket packages are great and going faster than ever!  Or check out the Team Store for the Holiday Sale until December 22nd for discounted merchandise, including Cannons items, with a 10% discount on all other items in the Team Store.  Pick up our new Holiday Stocking Stuffers for your favorite baseball fan!  Bring in your Toy Donation voucher and receive an additional 10% discount during the Toy Drive. And don?t forget the best part of our Holiday Sale, a free P-Nats gift with every purchase!

Mark your calendars and come out to the Pfitz for the Holiday Fan Fest!