Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Player Chat Threads  (Read 5078 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
[RESOLVED] Player Chat Threads
« Topic Start: January 08, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
If this whole "Chat with a Player" thing becomes a weekly staple of the forum, I'd like to suggest an Archive section for it, much like we archive game threads.

Offline JMW IV

Re: Player Chat Threads
« Reply #1: January 08, 2010, 04:52:07 PM »
and we should probably expand our gaze to Beat Writers. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to get Ben Goessling on here.

also, I say we as a forum mount a campaign to get Mike Rizzo on here for a chat.

WE CAN DOOOOOO IT!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: January 08, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
What about using one of those Chat servers that a lot of places are using lately?  I think it could help keep the chats organized and focused.  I've seen MLBTR and several other places use that sort of software and seems to work well.  Don't know if that would be feasible here or not.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #3: January 08, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »
I like the format of the chats being within the forum structure.  it's just a matter of being able to consistently attract Guests for the chats.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: January 08, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »
I like the forum structure too; I think Collin did a really good job answering all the questions thrown at him and it flowed well. As JMad points out, guests are the only issue ... I wanted to rope a couple friends into joining in, but would their registration get approved in time? Chief has more important things to worry about when a Nationals player gets on the forum, after all.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: January 08, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
I receive an email whenever someone registers, it's pretty rare for anyone to be waiting more than 24 hours to get approved.  Usually it's much faster than that.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #6: January 08, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
I receive an email whenever someone registers, it's pretty rare for anyone to be waiting more than 24 hours to get approved.  Usually it's much faster than that.

Okay, I was curious about it because my registration took something like 2 weeks...back in the day.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: January 08, 2010, 06:01:50 PM »
Okay, I was curious about it because my registration took something like 2 weeks...back in the day.

You're not the boss of me :D

My automated spam filters weren't as good back then, so I didn't always approve newbies right away.  Sometimes people were forgotten temporarily :-[

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #8: January 08, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Those chat programs are huge resource hogs. Dislike.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: January 08, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
It worked well with Bally, because for one reason he's a fast typer.  For another, he embraced the smiley library and used it to great effectiveness to add additional nuance to his posts.  

But I could see where a guest could be buried in too many questions and comments to keep up, given this open thread concept.  I don't have a better answer, other than that this thread exists for us to test some questions and give Drew a chance to read some ahead of time to prepare his thoughts and / responses.  I was going to start a fresh thread just before the appointed hour to start clean.

I have one concern, so far all his correspondence with me has been via iPhone, and that is not a very quick way to conduct a chat.  Plus, probably can't see the graphics we post.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #10: January 08, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »
It worked well with Bally, because for one reason he's a fast typer.  For another, he embraced the smiley library and used it to great effectiveness to add additional nuance to his posts. 

But I could see where a guest could be buried in too many questions and comments to keep up, given this open thread concept.  I don't have a better answer, other than that this thread exists for us to test some questions and give Drew a chance to read some ahead of time to prepare his thoughts and / responses.

I have one concern, so far all his correspondence with me has been via iPhone, and that is not a very quick way to conduct a chat.  Plus, probably can't see the graphics we post.
If it's via iPhone on the board, then he should see everything.  All of my posts after midnight are from my iPhone.  The rest are usually from work.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #11: January 09, 2010, 12:07:49 AM »
He'd be able to see just about everything (can you seeing moving gifs, Nathan?), but he will only be able to type as fast as his thumbs allow...
The kid went to college, he probably has a laptop. :D

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #12: January 09, 2010, 12:42:13 AM »
He'd be able to see just about everything (can you seeing moving gifs, Nathan?), but he will only be able to type as fast as his thumbs allow...
The kid went to college, he probably has a laptop. :D
Yeah, I can see animated gifs but they are a little slower than they should be.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #13: January 09, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »
It worked well with Bally, because for one reason he's a fast typer.

We just need to drop in on request some WNFF typist commandos for chats and we're good to go.

I'm just imagining what it must be like to keep up with a swarm of our habitual posters.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #14: January 09, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »
the mods should impose a strict "questions only" policy for the Player Chat threads.

delete/move all the random chatter, so the actual questions dont get lost in the mix and it is easier for the player.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: January 09, 2010, 11:50:50 PM »
the mods should impose a strict "questions only" policy for the Player Chat threads.

delete/move all the random chatter, so the actual questions dont get lost in the mix and it is easier for the player.

agreed.  I sometimes wanted to comment on a question by another poster (like, that's a stupid question you imbicile!) but had to check myself, and think of the greater benefit of giving Collin the center stage.  In all, it worked very well, but partly because we had only a handful of posters given the short notice.  If we have 50 people logged in and posting, it could get a bit hairy.

So I do definitely agree and as mod will be perhaps deleting extraneous posts, if I think it's too much a distraction from the mission at hand.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #16: January 09, 2010, 11:56:05 PM »
agreed.  I sometimes wanted to comment on a question by another poster (like, that's a stupid question you imbicile!) but had to check myself, and think of the greater benefit of giving Collin the center stage.  In all, it worked very well, but partly because we had only a handful of posters given the short notice.  If we have 50 people logged in and posting, it could get a bit hairy.

So I do definitely agree and as mod will be perhaps deleting extraneous posts, if I think it's too much a distraction from the mission at hand.

Chief PMd me about a non-insightful question, but Collin had already answered it ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: January 09, 2010, 11:59:24 PM »
There was also an incidence or two of someone joining the thread in progress and asking a question that had already been answered.    :?

I might be quicker to delete those this time.  If someone gets a reasonable question deleted, that is probably why.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #18: January 10, 2010, 12:03:05 AM »
How about no pictures unless relevant, like a pitch selection graph?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #19: January 10, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
There was also an incidence or two of someone joining the thread in progress and asking a question that had already been answered.    :?

:-[ Granted, I wanted some more flavor as to why but I did miss the earlier question.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #20: January 10, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
Chief PMd me about a non-insightful question, but Collin had already answered it ;)

Hey, non-insightful questions have to be allowed, otherwise how am I going to ask Drew what he would name his pet squid?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: January 11, 2010, 09:08:26 AM »
Hey, non-insightful questions have to be allowed, otherwise how am I going to ask Drew what he would name his pet squid?

I think for the record, he named it "stumpy".

I'd like you guys' feedback on how this could be done better.

Some observations:

Drew had prepared a slew of answers by culling through the initial thread I set up, to get things going.
We did have a few instances where people did not realize he had already answered a question, and they reposted their same question again.
Had a few instances where people wanted to post to each other rather than allowing Drew to be the focus of the conversation. 

I remained busy throughout doing thread cleanup - deleting redundant questions, PM'ing people if there was an issue, cleaning up some quotes that weren't executed properly.

While Drew spent an hour with us, he spent at least another hour or two in registration, getting past a connectivity problem he was having from his hotel, and reviewing the pre-chat thread, answering those questions ahead of time. 

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #22: January 11, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
 Just some small recommendations to make it cleaner, streamlined and more effective, imo.
          1. All questions, by posters, need to be asked by a certain time (as designated by the moderator) on the day before the interview. (Giving the player/manager ample time to review them)
          2. All clearances of the player/manager to "chat" on this Board should be done 24 to 48 hours before the actual interview and/or chat, so there are no gliches with the guest posting on that designated day and time.
          3. No real-time and/or inter-board interaction with the guest, by posters,until the moderator has covered all the questions asked on the first round.
          4. Second round of questions, if time, should only be on subjects not asked on first round, or to expand on the answer to first round questions, by posters.
          5. Then ending with abundant amount of thanks from all posters.
   This is a great thing that is happening, and is unique to have the players come and talk to this Fan forum. I think this is a "Wow" factor for this Board; and thank Spinman and Turtle for making this happen.These message board chats are great fun and give the fans a peep into the personality of the players/managers.
         Suggestion: Maybe a separate section, so the chats are easier to find, for posters like myself, who are usually away on Sundays from the forum.
         Recommendation: I would like to see the next chat be with Jim Riggleman -since I have mentioned to him about blogging, and he seemed interested about subject. Anyone out there want  to ask him - Turtle- Blue911?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: January 11, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
Just some small recommendations to make it cleaner, streamlined and more effective, imo.
          1. All questions, by posters, need to be asked by a certain time (as designated by the moderator) on the day before the interview. (Giving the player/manager ample time to review them)
          2. All clearances of the player/manager to "chat" on this Board should be done 24 to 48 hours before the actual interview and/or chat, so there are no gliches with the guest posting on that designated day and time.
          3. No real-time and/or inter-board interaction with the guest, by posters,until the moderator has covered all the questions asked on the first round.
          4. Second round of questions, if time, should only be on subjects not asked on first round, or to expand on the answer to first round questions, by posters.
          5. Then ending with abundant amount of thanks from all posters.
   This is a great thing that is happening, and is unique to have the players come and talk to this Fan forum. I think this is a "Wow" factor for this Board; and thank Spinman and Turtle for making this happen.These message board chats are great fun and give the fans a peep into the personality of the players/managers.
         Suggestion: Maybe a separate section, so the chats are easier to find, for posters like myself, who are usually away on Sundays from the forum.
         Recommendation: I would like to see the next chat be with Jim Riggleman -since I have mentioned to him about blogging, and he seemed interested about subject. Anyone out there want  to ask him - Turtle- Blue911?

Thanks for your comments CatsEye.  As for your last point, we are in search of another candidate or two, as once spring training starts our opportunities will dwindle, and once the season starts forget it, unless there's an injured player available perhaps.

So if anyone has contacts that might prove useful, hey, this is your forum too, make use of them! 

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #24: January 11, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
Thanks for your comments CatsEye.  As for your last point, we are in search of another candidate or two, as once spring training starts our opportunities will dwindle, and once the season starts forget it, unless there's an injured player available perhaps.

So if anyone has contacts that might prove useful, hey, this is your forum too, make use of them! 
              So you want me to send an e-mail to Stan and ask him if he would like to participate
 OR would that cause a problem with some of the questions that would be asked by posters on this Fan Forum -like the Philly issue, etc.?               :icon_mrgreen: