Author Topic: Top 15 Prospects - FanGraphs  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Top 15 Prospects - FanGraphs
« Reply #25: December 08, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
Great. He still pitched fantastic. If it was so easy as a good home park, every pitcher would do it.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #26: December 08, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »
Milone had 13 wins with a 3.74 ERA. That's pretty solid if you ask me.

As for pitching in Oakland... You play where you play. You don't deserve an * because you play somewhere. Look at the total package. It was a good year.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here.  I simply said there's a chance that none of those guys turn out to be special. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #27: December 08, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
I'm not sure what you're arguing here.  I simply said there's a chance that none of those guys turn out to be special. 

I'm arguing with Slate.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #28: December 08, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Great. He still pitched fantastic. If it was so easy as a good home park, every pitcher would do it.

He pitched fantastic at home. Because he's a flyball pitcher. He would not have had those same numbers here.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #29: December 08, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
Sounds like the A's were pretty smart to trade for him, then.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #30: December 08, 2012, 09:30:32 PM »
Same way it was smart to get something for him before he pitched too much in DC and didn't do quite so well.

Looks to me like the Nats did well in the Gio deal.  They got a guy that would have cost a fortune in free agency for a couple of guys who are very similar to players available relatively cheaply in free agency every year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: December 09, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
Taking the optimists view, Callis suggests the talent seems to be there if the injuries can be overcome. Giolito, Purke, Solis, Rendon all seem to have that issue.  The system will rank very low in BA this year, I think, but you could see a rebound with health.  Of course, you could see a huge fall off too if Goodwin looks overmatched in AA, Skole loses effectiveness against better pitchers, and the injuries do not work out.  But I'm a 'Shiner.

The system may in fact be stocked already.  The talent is there.  It really is a question of whether the injury bets pan out.  If the 3 arms (Giolito, Purke, Solis) recover, and Rendon overcomes the injury bug, then this is back to a pretty well stocked system, rounded out be the Karnses, Rays, and Rendas, before you look at the athletes like Taylor and Hood who have important years coming up. 

The biggest question mark in my mind out of the walking wounded would be Purke.  I don't like shoulder issues.  They have to show it, but I'm more optimistic than pessimistic about Solis and Giolito.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #32: December 09, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
System as at the mercy of injuries. Rizzo has gone all or nothing with this build.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: December 10, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
System as at the mercy of injuries. Rizzo has gone all or nothing with this build.
Well, I'd say he  cashed out his first build and his second build will depend on whether the injuries pan out. It'll be quick if things go right on the injuries, and it'll be almost a start from scratch if the injured fail and Goodwin / Rendon / Skole graduate.