Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 3  (Read 21487 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 3
« Reply #500: August 19, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Getting one win in Atlanta is a sizeable feat this season.  Well done and we had an opportunity at all 3.  This team isn't that far away.
We're 6-6 vs. the Braves this year. 2-4 in Turner Field. 

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #501: August 19, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »
Can we please play Ramos again tomorrow?

I feel like he could easily muscle one or two balls over the short porch in LF.

Somebody needs to tell Bob Carpenter that this was NOT Ramos' major league debut, since he already played 7 games for the Minnesota Twins. 

However, if he was refusing to acknowledge the existence of the Twins, since they were moved from Washington by the rat bastard Grifiith, who burns in hell as we post, then props to Bob.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #502: August 19, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »
Nice, solid win today. As has already been said, this just goes to show we are damn close to contending. Add a few more pieces and this is a sweep for the Nats.

All that said, I just don't get Lannan. How do you get shelled by AA pitching after being sent down, starting the year as your major league teams ace, then come back up and look ridiculously good in front of the DBacks, a decent hitting team, and now the Braves? Why can't this jackass pitch like this consistently? If this John Lannan shows up everyday, it improves the team so much going into next year it's sick. And yet we all know it's inevitable that the old John Lannan will rear his ugly head sooner rather than later.

I'm torn on Ramos. Damn do I want to see him everyday from now until 2020. But Neves is such a great guy, and no one deserves to have their first born result in losing his job. Yeah, it's a business, etc. But I guess you've got to send Ramos back down and let Nieves stay until the end of the season, with Ramps coming back Sept 1. Not ideal, but Wil's been with us too long and is too good of a human being to do something so low handed to when our season was already over months ago.

But, definitely a good game and a good sign of where things are heading.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #503: August 19, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
nats2playoffs with post of the year.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #504: August 19, 2010, 04:31:53 PM »
Lannan looked serviceable. He nearly allowed 4 runs in one inning.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #505: August 19, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
Nice, solid win today. As has already been said, this just goes to show we are damn close to contending. Add a few more pieces and this is a sweep for the Nats.

All that said, I just don't get Lannan. How do you get shelled by AA pitching after being sent down, starting the year as your major league teams ace, then come back up and look ridiculously good in front of the DBacks, a decent hitting team, and now the Braves? Why can't this jackass pitch like this consistently? If this John Lannan shows up everyday, it improves the team so much going into next year it's sick. And yet we all know it's inevitable that the old John Lannan will rear his ugly head sooner rather than later.

As well as John did at avoiding runs... he still posted a 1.50 WHIP today... so he only had a good outing in the runs department. What saved him was the lack of walks. He can't survive if he's walking guys... but if he avoids them, he can hang around like he did today.

Not pretty, but it was effective.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #506: August 19, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »
If this John Lannan shows up everyday, it improves the team so much going into next year it's sick. And yet we all know it's inevitable that the old John Lannan will rear his ugly head sooner rather than later.

This John Lannan gave up 8 baserunners and threw 105 in 5.1 IP.  He pitched decently but got bailed out by his bullpen at the end of it.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #507: August 19, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
This John Lannan gave up 8 baserunners and threw 105 in 5.1 IP.  He pitched decently but got bailed out by his bullpen at the end of it.

I absolutely get that. He's been the same way in every single start he's made since coming back from AA. The difference is that he's not letting those baserunners score. Before he'd have a nervous breakdown if a guy got on base and it was game over. I thought it was luck the first two games. Now four games, and it's the same thing, tons of base runners but very few scored? He also had a season high in strikeouts today. It's not just luck that the base runners aren't scoring. So as much as I would like to see a lower WHIP, and as much as I am one of Lannan's biggest critics, right now he is a reliable starter doing a remarkable job. His WHIP has always been high since he's a ground ball pitcher, so that isn't a concern of mine so long as they continue not to score. Likewise, I know it's gist a matter of time before those base runners do start scoring. Lannan has proven he's not this good of a pitcher, so the blowout is coming, and coming soon.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #508: August 19, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
Colador, it sucks, but it would be terrible to undercut Nieves like this. I'd like for us to send Ramos down until September, but if he can't progress any more against AAA competition and he can help us win a couple more games up here, you have to leave him here and make Nieves deal with Syracuse for a week or so.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #509: August 19, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »
Where the hell is the curly W?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #510: August 19, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
Yes, but Nathan thinks I've been a bit hard on him lately.
:?  And then he turns around and takes a dump on my face for trying to defend him.  I guess every board needs a CLASS CLOWN though.

I'm going to Nathan's for ice cream once this is over.
I'm at work, but the door is unlocked.  Help yourself.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #511: August 19, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »
I absolutely get that. He's been the same way in every single start he's made since coming back from AA. The difference is that he's not letting those baserunners score. Before he'd have a nervous breakdown if a guy got on base and it was game over. I thought it was luck the first two games. Now four games, and it's the same thing, tons of base runners but very few scored? He also had a season high in strikeouts today. It's not just luck that the base runners aren't scoring. So as much as I would like to see a lower WHIP, and as much as I am one of Lannan's biggest critics, right now he is a reliable starter doing a remarkable job. His WHIP has always been high since he's a ground ball pitcher, so that isn't a concern of mine so long as they continue not to score. Likewise, I know it's gist a matter of time before those base runners do start scoring. Lannan has proven he's not this good of a pitcher, so the blowout is coming, and coming soon.
1.20 WHIP

Offline ernie0326

« Reply #512: August 19, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »

:clap:

Thinking about what could have been from last night  :?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #513: August 19, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
Linty / JMU - thanks.  I recalled what Linty did, which was to compare the quality of the pitches and the percentage of times they were thrown (noting the two seamer get the crud hit out of it).  That was nice.  What I had in mind was more recent Lannan v. bad Lannan of earlier in the year.  Are his pitches clustering in a way that shows more control or movement?  Has his release changed?  things like that.  Thanks to both of you for taking this up.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #514: August 19, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
Linty / JMU - thanks.  I recalled what Linty did, which was to compare the quality of the pitches and the percentage of times they were thrown (noting the two seamer get the crud hit out of it).  That was nice.  What I had in mind was more recent Lannan v. bad Lannan of earlier in the year.  Are his pitches clustering in a way that shows more control or movement?  Has his release changed?  things like that.  Thanks to both of you for taking this up.

Besides the curveball, most of the other pitches seemed to be consistent in their release point.  It is difficult, however, to analyze the release point on some pitches, as most pitch f/x aggregators stack the data points on top of each other, so there could be minor differences in the change up or slider (he releases the curve the highest of any of his pitches, so the points are more isolated and easier to differentiate) that would have been unnoticeable without me downloading the data and plotting it myself.  If Lannan could put another few decent outings together, then it might be worthwhile for me to go through the data on a more detailed level to determine other more possible similarities (simple or complex) and causes for his success (as well as pitchf/x related reasons for failure).

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #515: August 19, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
Willie Harris Freakn American Hero

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #516: August 19, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Ouch.

Quote from: Rotoworld
Nyjer Morgan had two hits, a steal and two runs scored Thursday against the Braves in his return from the DL.

It's just the fifth time in 104 games this season that he's come through with multiple hits and multiple runs scored in a game. The last time he did it was June 25.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #517: August 19, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »
Ouch.

While that sucks, he's still had games with 2 runs or more (with walks) or 2 hits or more (with 1 run). Stats, from what I know of, don't tell how many times people have failed to drive him in.

Just trying to keep a high head on all of our players.