1 (3.8%)
Yeah sure, it's ok to read over
9 (34.6%)
Definetly
13 (50%)
Waste of time
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Tom Milone, LHP  (Read 11924 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Follow the Prospects: Tom Milone, LHP
« Topic Start: April 23, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »

Tom Milone LHP
Height: 6'1
Weight: 205 lbs
DOB: 2/16/1987
Drafted 10th round in 2008

He doesn't have anything special about him physically but he does have great control over his pitches. He only walked 23 guys in 158 innings last season. He also has been consistently improving his control and overall pitching every season, while moving up 1 level every year. Last but no least he was our Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2010. My take is that with our relief pitchers struggling we could bring him up to work out of the bullpen or spot-start. I love a player who can control their pitches. What's your take?

Note I used to make threads like this back when I was younger and newer to the board but it was very poorly written and pointless, I'll make improvements every time and would really enjoy making a thread like this every week. I really love following prospects and farm teams.

Thanks JMUalumni your http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=9104.0 thread gave me some background.

More info here
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543548

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Prospect of the Week: Tom Milone, LHP
« Reply #1: April 23, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
Tom Milone LHP
Height: 6'1
Weight: 205 lbs
DOB: 2/16/1987
Drafted 10th round in 2008

He doesn't have anything special about him physically but he does have great control over his pitches. He only walked 23 guys in 158 innings last season. He also has been consistently improving his control and overall pitching every season, while moving up 1 level every year. Last but no least he was our Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2010. My take is that with our relief pitchers struggling we could bring him up to work out of the bullpen or spot-start. I love a player who can control their pitches. What's your take?

Note I used to make threads like this back when I was younger and newer to the board but it was very poorly written and pointless, I'll make improvements every time and would really enjoy making a thread like this every week. I really love following prospects and farm teams.

Thanks JMUalumni your http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=9104.0 thread gave me some background.

More info here
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543548

Wood and Wallace were talking about him at Nats' Talk on MASN this morning.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #2: April 23, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
Are you kidding? Damnitt now it's not original. Honestly, didn't listen to that though haha.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: April 23, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
He's been good but gave up some runs today in AAA. 5 IP 9 H 3 ER 1 BB 6 K (Loss)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #4: April 23, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
He's been good but gave up some runs today in AAA. 5 IP 9 H 3 ER 1 BB 6 K (Loss)
Hmmm.. still had good control over his pitches and struck-out more than 1 guy an inning.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: April 23, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »
[BBQ] he sucks trade him [/BBQ]

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #6: April 23, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »

the roller coaster of season he's faced is a good thing.  he gets to learn how to deal with some failing, we get to see how he can bounce back.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #7: April 23, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »
[BBQ] he sucks trade him [/BBQ]
Haha how about instead he trade some of our older relief pitchers and let in some young guys?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: April 23, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Are you kidding? Damnitt now it's not original. Honestly, didn't listen to that though haha.

Oh, you're original.    Nobody listens to Wood.   In fact, they had to spell his name.

Online GNatsNoMore

« Reply #9: April 23, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
I voted "Yeah, sure ...".

[Tom Terp] I would have voted definitely, but I didn't see it as an option.  [Tom Terp]  :mg:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #10: April 23, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »
the roller coaster of season he's faced is a good thing.  he gets to learn how to deal with some failing, we get to see how he can bounce back.

It's also good to see him strike out six guys at this level. AAA will really test whether he will be hittable in the big leagues, or able to make the transition; I hope he gets most of this year to climb the learning curve and get ready to miss bats or draw groundballs in a cameo in the bigs.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #11: April 23, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

I'll take that as a "bad outing" any day of the week.  The K/BB is still excellent.  Looks like he got hit hard, and that'll happen sometimes to a guy like him.  He just has to learn how to minimize that.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #12: April 23, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »
I voted "Yeah, sure ...".

[Tom Terp] I would have voted definitely, but I didn't see it as an option.  [Tom Terp]  :mg:
Don't really care what you voted this is to discuss the player. :lol:
I'll take that as a "bad outing" any day of the week.  The K/BB is still excellent.  Looks like he got hit hard, and that'll happen sometimes to a guy like him.  He just has to learn how to minimize that.
Thanks. I really like this guy for the same reason I really like Kevin Slowey. They do get hit hard occasionally but have crazy command. I'd like to see Gorzelanny let go and this guy start honestly.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #13: April 23, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »

He'd probably have a worse line with the parent club... worse defense lol

Offline Mr Clean

Re: Follow the Prospects: Tom Milone, LHP
« Reply #14: May 05, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »
Milone tonight:  6 innings   4 hits 1 run 10 ks 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #15: May 05, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
He has to some kind of stuff to be able to consistently strike out batters

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #16: May 06, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
finished with 11Ks in 7 IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB but Carr and Wilkie gave up the lead.

Milone and Maya are pitching pretty well right now.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #17: May 06, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »
I hate to say it, but I wonder if Lannan is a non-tender candidate next year, with Milone and Detwiler fighting for the other LHP spot in the rotation if Gorzelanny pans out.

Will the Nats really consider paying Lannan 2nd and 3rd year arbitration money? Edwin Jackson, who only made $2.2 million in his first year of arbitration (Lannan made $2.75 million), got a $13.35 million contract for the last 2 years. Wandy Rodriguez made $13.5 for his last two arbitration years after making $2.6 in his first year.

Even if the Nats win arbitration, he's likely to get a raise to about $4.5 million in year two and $7.5 million in year three, just by being a major league starting pitcher. I have a hard time believing the Nats will pay that for what he gives them, considering Milone would likely give them the same thing for $4 million less.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #18: May 06, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
i want to see milone have success at AAA level before there's talk of him getting a chance. 

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #19: May 06, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »
I hate to say it, but I wonder if Lannan is a non-tender candidate next year, with Milone and Detwiler fighting for the other LHP spot in the rotation if Gorzelanny pans out.

I have to agree, he is definitely a potential non-tender candidate.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #20: May 06, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »
i want to see milone have success at AAA level before there's talk of him getting a chance. 

I'd say he's having AAA success. Besides something like a .350+ BABIP and one bad start, he's put up a 28-3 K/BB ratio in 28.3 innings.

I mean, last year Lannan put up a 4.20 ERA and a 28-10 K/BB ratio in 40.2 innings in AA, while Milone put up a 2.85 ERA and a 155-23 K/BB ratio in 158 innings at the same level. There's really probably not much that separates them, besides 2 years and $4 million a year next season.

I'd rather have neither of them in the rotation because we have a better option (DETWILER??) but I doubt if you plugged them both in for an entire season, you'd be able to distinguish between the two.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #21: May 06, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »
I'd say he's having AAA success. Besides something like a .350+ BABIP and one bad start, he's put up a 28-3 K/BB ratio in 28.3 innings.

I mean, last year Lannan put up a 4.20 ERA and a 28-10 K/BB ratio in 40.2 innings in AA, while Milone put up a 2.85 ERA and a 155-23 K/BB ratio in 158 innings at the same level. There's really probably not much that separates them, besides 2 years and $4 million a year next season.

I'd rather have neither of them in the rotation because we have a better option (DETWILER??) but I doubt if you plugged them both in for an entire season, you'd be able to distinguish between the two.

But at the same time, a pitcher like Lannan probably is working on pitches as opposed to trying to win minor league games. A MLB starter's stats in MiLB should be taken with a grain of salt when compared to other starters.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: June 14, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
Link to article on Sickels' site:
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/6/12/2219835/who-is-tommy-milone
In AAA, over his first 63.1 IP, his K/9 ratio has crossed 9 (9.66) and his K/BB is a ludicrous 17.0, and his FIP is an astonishing 2.06. For comparison's sake, his FIP is almost a quarter of a point better than anybody else in the league, and over a half point better than Julio Teheran's. Nobody comes within a multiple of 2 of his K/BB.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #23: June 20, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
Milone is the Prospect of the Day on Sickles' site.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/6/20/2228891/prospect-of-the-day-tom-milone-lhp-washington-nationals

Although his margin for error will never be great, Milone is a very intriguing prospect with an excellent statistical resume. The fact that he keeps improving when exposed to better competition is a good sign for his future.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #24: June 20, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
Interesting.  Is he next in line now if another starter goes down?  Detwiler has been pretty disappointing.  Maya needs to finish the year in AAA.  Who else?  Stammen or Peacock?

No more Atilano, Mock etc. at least.