Author Topic: Martin at Syracuse  (Read 4002 times)

Offline StressFree

Martin at Syracuse
« Topic Start: April 24, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »
Finally JD Martin is pitching in Syracuse. He threw 6 innings for the Chiefs with no runners scoring, and only 4 hits. His team played well to help him get a nice 0.00 ERA on his first start, and they won 7-1. JD had some back problems and was in extended spring training until April 18th. Here is a short article from Syracuse.com Chiefs page:

Scroll to the bottom article
http://www.syracuse.com/chiefs/index.ssf/2009/04/19-week/

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Martin at Syracuse
« Reply #1: April 24, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
Finally JD Martin is pitching in Syracuse. He threw 6 innings for the Chiefs with no runners scoring, and only 4 hits. His team played well to help him get a nice 0.00 ERA on his first start, and they won 7-1. JD had some back problems and was in extended spring training until April 18th. Here is a short article from Syracuse.com Chiefs page:

Scroll to the bottom article
http://www.syracuse.com/chiefs/index.ssf/2009/04/19-week/

hey good to hear from you again.  yeah saw that the other day, it's a good start.  now that kip wells is in the bigs, i think balester may be the next starting pitcher from AAA-Syracuse to get a call-up, but if Martin has more outings like this, who knows.  definitely a good sign though.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: April 24, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
Why did Martin's career stall?

Offline StressFree

« Reply #3: April 25, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
Martin had elbow problems after several good seasons in the Indians minor league system. He was a supplemental first round draft pick out of high school. After Tommy John surgery, he slowly built back up to starting pitching. He did a few innings of Grapefruit league spring training, but the Indians never even kept him at AAA though he did very well during a brief call up there last year. Today isn't looking so good against Buffalo unfortunately. Interesting that he would be playing for them if the Indians had offered him more encouragement one way or another. Our son got to do a summer camp with JD when he was still in Ridgecrest, CA. Also his brother Keven was a pitcher in the Indians system, but didn't get much past AA. Their father was a minor league player too I believe. Hopefully JD can stay healthy enough to make it further. He's got some good stuff.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: April 25, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »
Martin had elbow problems after several good seasons in the Indians minor league system. He was a supplemental first round draft pick out of high school. After Tommy John surgery, he slowly built back up to starting pitching. He did a few innings of Grapefruit league spring training, but the Indians never even kept him at AAA though he did very well during a brief call up there last year. Today isn't looking so good against Buffalo unfortunately. Interesting that he would be playing for them if the Indians had offered him more encouragement one way or another. Our son got to do a summer camp with JD when he was still in Ridgecrest, CA. Also his brother Keven was a pitcher in the Indians system, but didn't get much past AA. Their father was a minor league player too I believe. Hopefully JD can stay healthy enough to make it further. He's got some good stuff.

Thanks, his numbers looked too good. With all the PED testing, players with good stats and multiple short seasons tend to raise questions.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: April 25, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
tough day for J.D. today.

Offline StressFree

« Reply #6: April 27, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »
It's nice that they pulled out a win after all that. Still hurt that nice 0.00 ERA from his first start though. I'm sure there will be more good to come.

Offline zoom

« Reply #7: May 02, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »
when did we sign Martin?

Offline StressFree

« Reply #8: May 03, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »
He was signed in December 2008 and was a Non-roster invitee to spring training. His 3rd game looked good Friday (stats and box score review - not live:-). Looks like a 3.50 ERA after 3 starts. Going 6 innings again. Here's praying he stays healthy.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: June 28, 2009, 09:18:45 PM »
Dave Cameron at Fangraphs puts in a plug for Martin. Suggests that if the Nats are going to bury him, some contenders looking for a 5th starter should pick him up cheap and give him a shot, rather than pillaging their system in a trade.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jd-martin-deserves-a-shot

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #10: June 30, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
Dave Cameron at Fangraphs puts in a plug for Martin. Suggests that if the Nats are going to bury him, some contenders looking for a 5th starter should pick him up cheap and give him a shot, rather than pillaging their system in a trade.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jd-martin-deserves-a-shot

Good write up on Martin from the usually solid Cameron.  Seems like a pretty spot on analysis of his potential worth, but I disagree with him that Martin will not get a shot in Washington this season.  All signs point to him being called up in September (at the very least).  It would be nice if Martin could gain some ML value so that we could possibly get a decent return for him down the road.

However, he’s earned a shot at the big leagues. A former first round pick of the Indians in 2001, he’s overcome some arm problems and has begun to show durability that was always a question mark. Despite standing 6′4, Martin is a strike-thrower with a below average fastball who lives off of his change-up. That package works a lot better in the minors than it does in the majors, but extreme users of this skillset can provide useful innings in the big leagues.

Martin is definitely an extreme strike thrower. He’s walked 7 batters in 70 innings so far this year while racking up 52 strikeouts and a league average groundball rate. When you pound the zone that often and aren’t getting torched for copious amounts of fly balls, you’re doing enough things right to get hitters out. This is, essentially, the Minnesota Twins model of pitching. Carlos Silva, Scott Baker, Kevin Slowey, and Nick Blackburn have all been successful in the Twin Cities while throwing below average fastballs over the plate a lot.

Other teams are still skeptical of the command-and-change-up right-handed pitcher, however, and guys like Martin have trouble finding a major league job. While it’s true that there’s almost no star potential in this skillset, and the upside offered is that of a #5 starter who will depend on his defense to help him get through 5 or 6 innings, that kind of pitcher can help a contender in the right situation. Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and Texas could all use a guy like Martin right now.

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #11: June 30, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »
 Cameron is usually right on, certainly when eyeballing talent. I believe he has been a little mislead in referance to JD Martin's talent even thought he is right on about the pitcher deserves a shot. I was at Pawtucket last night for the P Sox Syracuse game and as usual watched Martin, as I have several times over the last few years, pound the strike zone, BUT not with (misled) lower than average volosity, but with consistent 89 to 91 (from the score board gun and others around me) My big surprise was that he wasn't throwing that 6-12 braking ball as much as he has in the past but instead, seemed to be focusing much more with his pen-point contol of the fastball. He is a very, very smart pitcher who's time has come to show what he can do at the ML level... :worship:

Offline StressFree

« Reply #12: July 01, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »
Great article JCA. I've read that Martin's fastball does move though - a cutter I believe. And an outstanding curveball that wasn't mentioned? Being able to throw all these above average pitches for strikes is what will get it done at the Major League level. I am another that has faith that JD Martin can and will be able to succeed there - perhaps with dominance even! The comments after the "fangraphs" article were great too. A lot of support for Martin. Hopefully the Nats will act soon to give him a shot.

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #13: July 01, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »
   I bet Martin wished he did have a 6 to 12 braking ball!!!! It was announced today that Martin is the National's AAA pitcher of the month for June.. Most likely runner up to Justin Lear (Louisville) for the International League pitcher of the month. Both pitcher's have been just exceptional through June!!!

Offline StressFree

« Reply #14: July 01, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »
I bet Martin wished he did have a 6 to 12 braking ball!!!!

Doesn't he? I know that was what he was known for in years past. Perhaps the Tommy John and risk of getting hurt again has taken some of that away. I'm pretty sure he still throws a nasty curve in any case, perhaps not as often.

Good to hear more recognition from the organization at least. Does anyone know, will JD pitch next on the 4th? I like to watch the "gameday" and listen live via online radio when time permits. It works fairly well together, though sometimes one will lag the other a bit.

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #15: July 01, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
   His 12 to 6 is back and is used as a powerful out pitch for him and thrown with confidence at any time. I was joking about throwing a 6 to 12 as I stated yesterday from my laptop in the airport. It seems his 12 to 6 is as strong as it has always been as long as I have been following him. It has taken some time since TJ, BUT it is back!!!!!! I have seen his last two starts and believe me it is back.....

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #16: July 02, 2009, 12:38:29 PM »
Whether it's Martin or Balester in line for a call-up, you have to love the depth.  I'm :az: over J.D.'s 58 K/7 BB ratio.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #17: July 02, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
I can attest that his curve ball is absolutely sick.

Offline StressFree

« Reply #18: July 02, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »
Very happy to hear JD still has the jaw dropping curve working. The fangraph article definately missed out on that bit of info, as it stated something to the effect of "average fastball and change" as being what JD had to work with. Very happy that that was quite wrong. His stats definately suggest there is a lot more happening, and topping out at 92 mph sounds just fine to me!

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #19: July 03, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »
  I would expect to see JD on the mound Saturday the 4th.

Offline StressFree

« Reply #20: July 03, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »
I bet Martin wished he did have a 6 to 12 braking ball!!!!

Dawgball60, I see what you mean about the "6 to 12" comment - I didn't catch that. I guess that would be a sub-marine pitcher with knuckles dragging the ground and throwing upside down. I like the 12 to 6 better anyway. Best of luck to JD on the 4th!

Added:
Here is a Wash Post article titled "Former First-Round Pick Martin on Verge of Breakthrough" by Chico Harlan
compares JD to several major league pitchers regarding strikeout to walk stats and says the only thing left for Martin to improve on is the level of competition (needs to be moved up).
http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/detail.jsp?key=407426&rc=sp&p=1&all=1

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #21: July 04, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »
  StressFree; Nice call on the artical!! I was just coming on to post it. You're just way to quick!!! Good luck tonight, JD...

Offline StressFree

« Reply #22: July 04, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »
Happy 4th of July!

JD went 8 innings with only one earned run and 2 walks (one intentional). No decision, but the Chiefs won in 12 innings 3 to 2. Great job once again - keep up the good work.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #23: July 05, 2009, 03:34:20 AM »
stud.  he also had a base hit.  i can't wait to see him up here. 

i have a friend who is from cuse and he told me his family back at home are so shocked to see how well the chiefs have played this year (after all, getting a nats affiliate wasn't that appealing at the time) and how amazed they are at the starting staff.  i mean hell four of the rotation members have big league experience. 

martin / balester / mock / martis / estrada ... nasty.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #24: July 05, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »
JD has been pitching lights out all year long. With him doing so well it has made the rest of the starters step up huge too.

I do think either Balester or JD will be up real soon to pave the way for the others to come up in Aug and Sept.

Syracuse is on fire thanks to the starting rotation.