Author Topic: Trade: Asdrubal here, Walters not so much  (Read 2475 times)

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Re: Trade: Asdrubel here, Walters not so much
« Reply #50: July 31, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »
If Espinosa's still in the organization by the end of today this is a loss. I don't give a freak if you trade him for a hot dog voucher at CitiField, just get that cancer out of the body.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #51: July 31, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
If Espinosa's still in the organization by the end of today this is a loss. I don't give a freak if you trade him for a hot dog voucher at CitiField, just get that cancer out of the body.

This is not happening

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #52: July 31, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »
Just heard from a friend who is a big Indians fan, and he's quite baffled by the whole thing  :lol: 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #53: July 31, 2014, 03:19:31 PM »
Danny is a good bench player.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #54: July 31, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
Espi is Rizzo's guy just like span is. they'll both be in the organization as long as possible.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #55: July 31, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
Random facts are Random

Byron Kerr ‏@masnKerr 57s

Asdrubal Cabrera two-time All-Star, averaged 34 doubles, top 20 in A.L., from 2011-2013

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #56: July 31, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »

Hey man, we're talking Citi Field here, best you could do is a fish taco voucher or maybe some Korean-Belgian fusion.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #57: July 31, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »

Rizzo won't do it now...he may have tried to dump 3KEspi rather than Walters...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #58: July 31, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »
If Walters starts for the Indians, we'll know pretty quickly if this was a good trade

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #59: July 31, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
Beyond the Box Score @BtBScore

Here are the ZiPS projections for Washington’s 2B through the rest of the year: Danny Espinosa: 78 Asdrubal Cabrera: 104 That’s an upgrade.
3:09 PM - 31 Jul 2014

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #60: July 31, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #61: July 31, 2014, 03:22:03 PM »
FanGraphs analysis was posted quickly:

---

And the upgrade over Danny Espinosa is undebatable. Though Espinosa has recovered some of his value from his nadir, and is showing some power and speed, there are two facets of his game that have not recovered. His league-average or better walk rate has not returned (5.6% BB%), and his glove is not rated well this year (-1.1 UZR). Cabrera should be able to match that defense with the shift from short, and his offense is just about league average these days.

They’re trading a potential shortstop for a couple months of a second baseman. You can’t debate that. Even as he’s moved on to other positions, Zach Walters played twice as many games at short than any other.

But even while you acknowledge the risk, you can point to the risk inherent in Walters. Not only as a prospect, but as a prospect with a low walk rate and a high strikeout rate. Prospects with that sort of a profile at 24 years old in Triple-A had an 88% bust rate according to Chris St. John’s work.

So, yeah, they took a chance. A chance that has about 12% likelihood of burning them.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/nationals-take-a-risk-in-dealing-risky-prospect/

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #62: July 31, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »
Well I guess I should get my Walters jersey changed to something else.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #63: July 31, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »
Well I guess I should get my Walters jersey changed to something else.

Like an Indians jersey?  :lol:

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #64: July 31, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
FanGraphs analysis was posted quickly:

---

And the upgrade over Danny Espinosa is undebatable. Though Espinosa has recovered some of his value from his nadir, and is showing some power and speed, there are two facets of his game that have not recovered. His league-average or better walk rate has not returned (5.6% BB%), and his glove is not rated well this year (-1.1 UZR). Cabrera should be able to match that defense with the shift from short, and his offense is just about league average these days.

They’re trading a potential shortstop for a couple months of a second baseman. You can’t debate that. Even as he’s moved on to other positions, Zach Walters played twice as many games at short than any other.

But even while you acknowledge the risk, you can point to the risk inherent in Walters. Not only as a prospect, but as a prospect with a low walk rate and a high strikeout rate. Prospects with that sort of a profile at 24 years old in Triple-A had an 88% bust rate according to Chris St. John’s work.

So, yeah, they took a chance. A chance that has about 12% likelihood of burning them.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/nationals-take-a-risk-in-dealing-risky-prospect/

The other stuff sounds valid, but UZR and pretty much all defensive metrics are BS.  Espinosa's defense is significantly better than anyone else we've played there or played against this year in the games I've watched.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #65: July 31, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

not sure what you mean to add to the tread deadline converstation by posting this but,
cant. stop. staring.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #66: July 31, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »

Time to get the new guy in uniform tonight?   :hysterical:

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #67: July 31, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
Time to get the new guy in uniform tonight?   :hysterical:

No rush, Cliff Lee is pitching.
If this was done for a platoon, which it should be, then tonight would be Danny's night anyway

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #68: July 31, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »
Like an Indians jersey?  :lol:

Nah, I'm not even sure I can get it it changed but it's an authentic jersey.  Could I bring it somewhere to have it re-done?  I may hold off until we know Desmond's fate.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #69: July 31, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »
Nah, I'm not even sure I can get it it changed but it's an authentic jersey.  Could I bring it somewhere to have it re-done?  I may hold off until we know Desmond's fate.

Just take the name-plate off yourself and wear it with the numbers.  :shrug:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #70: July 31, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
Nice move. A LH bat at second. Fills that hole perfectly without giving up much.  If Walters ends being a starting SS somewhere then so be it. He wasn't going to do that here.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #71: July 31, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
Nice move. A LH bat at second. Fills that whole perfectly without giving up much.

:lmao:

You're an expert at filling wholes.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #72: July 31, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
:lmao:

You're an expert at filling wholes.

I see how that can be funny for a 12 year old.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #73: July 31, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
This was a good move. Cabrera isn't a massive upgrade over Espinosa but he is an upgrade. He's a competent Major League hitter unlike Espinosa.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #74: July 31, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
This was a good move. Cabrera isn't a massive upgrade over Espinosa but he is an upgrade. He's a competent Major League hitter unlike Espinosa.

:clap: