Author Topic: A-Rod's New Contract  (Read 9486 times)

Offline NatsAddict

A-Rod's New Contract
« Topic Start: October 28, 2007, 03:48:53 PM »
Yankees prepare offer for A-Rod
Extension could keep star in New York for nine years
Posted: Saturday October 27, 2007 11:19PM; Updated: Saturday October 27, 2007 11:19PM
By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Yankees are preparing a contract offer to superstar third baseman Alex Rodriguez that would commit A-Rod to the Yankees for eight or nine years, top his $252-million Rangers deal on a per-year basis and possibly even in total dollars. Plus, their expected offer would practically ensure that if A-Rod breaks Barry Bonds' alltime home-run record, he'll do it in a Yankees uniform.

The Yankees are trying to set up a meeting with Rodriguez and agent Scott Boras. It is believed that the extensions the Yankees are weighing would be for five or even six years for something close to $30 million annually, or possibly just a couple million short of that. So the extension offer, which hasn't been finalized yet, could be for about $140 million over five years or $170 million over six years. If the Yankees decide to propose a six-year deal, that would keep Rodriguez in pinstripes until he's 41 since he already has three years and $91 million remaining on his original Rangers contract. With the $91 million that's already coming to him, the Yankees could be committing about $260 million to A-Rod if they go the six-year route.

The Yankees are still officially undecided on whether Joe Girardi, Don Mattingly or Tony Pena will be their next manager and have many other issues as well, but they are also working aggressively to try to lock up both Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera. As SI.com reported previously, the Yankees are expected to offer Posada and Rivera bookend deals of $40 million each, and while they're confident they'll eventually keep both, Rivera is expected to shop around and take longer to re-sign than Posada.

A-Rod is the toughest one, though. Yankees people believe their offer will be best for Rodriguez. But there's no way of knowing. Last time, it was a stunner when Texas came out of nowhere to bid $252 million over 10 years. The Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, Mets and Red sox are potential suitors for A-Rod .

If the Yankees sign A-Rod to an extension before he opts out, they will have the benefit of a $30-million subsidy from Rangers owner Tom Hicks, who signed the originally $252-million deal but agreed to pay about one-third of A-Rod's salary when he traded him to the Yankees.

Once A-Rod opts out, Hicks would be off the hook. The Yankees have said that if Rodriguez opts out -- and he has up until 10 days after the World Series to do so -- they will cut off negotiations with him and let him go. Meanwhile, Boras foresees the Yankees changing their minds and remaining in the derby even if A-Rod opts out.
Sports Illustrated

Somewhere out in la la land, Jorge Julio is imagining of  himself in pinstripes with a 3-year $50 million deal.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: A-Rod's New Contract
« Reply #1: October 28, 2007, 04:30:28 PM »
Sports Illustrated

Somewhere out in la la land, Jorge Julio is imagining of  himself in pinstripes with a 3-year $50 million deal.

If they want a hot head that serves up big fat ones, more power to them!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: October 28, 2007, 11:12:11 PM »
A-Rod to the Mets, NYC burns...

(I just heard that Rodriguez tossed his golden goose out the window, so who the hell knows where he'll end up.  Poor little sausage, a mere 30 mil a year only buys one so many Rembrandts...)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: October 28, 2007, 11:17:17 PM »
Apparently he has opted out of his yankees contract. I dont see how anyone will pay more than what the Yankees offered. Not only are the Yankees the richest team, the rangers would be paying from some of the salary for the next three years.  How can a team offer more than what the yankees throught they could plus the Rangers money?

Maybe it is not about the money. I'd like to see him take a pay cut to go to the Jays or D-Rays, hit .500, and lead his team to the AL East title

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #4: October 28, 2007, 11:38:32 PM »
Apparently he has opted out of his yankees contract. I dont see how anyone will pay more than what the Yankees offered. Not only are the Yankees the richest team, the rangers would be paying from some of the salary for the next three years.  How can a team offer more than what the yankees throught they could plus the Rangers money?

Maybe it is not about the money. I'd like to see him take a pay cut to go to the Jays or D-Rays, hit .500, and lead his team to the AL East title

:funny:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #5: October 29, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »

Given the number of guys who are paid 20M+ who don't perform at his level, it shouldn't be hard for Boras to find at least a couple of interested parties. Certainly the Cubs will be one of those teams.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: October 29, 2007, 12:30:50 AM »

Somewhere in Texas, the managment of the Rangers is dancing jigs

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #7: October 29, 2007, 08:06:44 AM »

Somewhere in Texas, the managment of the Rangers is dancing jigs

Yeah, Christmas came early for them.

arkymark

« Reply #8: October 29, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »
After Hank Steinbrenner's statements that Joe Torre is only great because of the Yankees, the Red Sox are only successful because they copy the Yankees, and the Yankees don't want anyone who does not appreciate the privilege of being a Yankee, I look forward to 20 more years of bombastic pronouncements and (I hope) lousy baseball teams from this spoiled rich bastid.  Future announcements:

New York City without the Yankees is Dubuque.

The United States is only a great country because it contains the Yankees.

The Yankees are the most attractive feature of the planet Earth.

The Universe would be devoid of interest were it not for the Yankees.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #9: October 29, 2007, 09:25:43 AM »
After Hank Steinbrenner's statements that Joe Torre is only great because of the Yankees, the Red Sox are only successful because they copy the Yankees, and the Yankees don't want anyone who does not appreciate the privilege of being a Yankee, I look forward to 20 more years of bombastic pronouncements and (I hope) lousy baseball teams from this spoiled rich bastid.  Future announcements:

So, following along in that theory, is this the Planet Earth or the Planet Yankee?   ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: October 29, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »
I was just thinking that...A-Rod, Soriano, and Zambrano all in the same clubhouse should be an interesting experiment in group dysfuntion...

Given the number of guys who are paid 20M+ who don't perform at his level, it shouldn't be hard for Boras to find at least a couple of interested parties. Certainly the Cubs will be one of those teams.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: October 29, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
Any chance someone like the Cubs sign him, assuming Ramirez doesn't go anywhere and Arod moves back to Short.  That would make for one scary line up in Chicago.  Or think if Boston makes a run after him and still signs Lowell.  Yikes.  That would be a heck of a luxury tax bill.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #12: October 29, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »
I bet the Yankees win the World Series next year now.

Offline PC

« Reply #13: October 29, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »

So should the Nationals.

arkymark

« Reply #14: October 29, 2007, 02:12:17 PM »
This could be a win win win -- if the Yankees win after A Rod's gone, if A Rod performs in the post-season with a team other than the Yankees, or if neither happens, each would have its positive aspects.  And at least one of them seems assured.

« Reply #15: October 30, 2007, 09:12:04 AM »
I was just thinking that...A-Rod, Soriano, and Zambrano all in the same clubhouse should be an interesting experiment in group dysfuntion...

Its like having a Disney Princess Party!

Steve Heezy

« Reply #16: October 30, 2007, 09:56:24 AM »

QFT Arky,

As soon as I read those comments I thought to myself ... who the hell does this d-bag think he is? His dad must have been blowin some serious smoke for his sons to make rediculous comments like that.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #17: October 30, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »

Here is one to add to it from today's LA Times

"Does he [A-Rod] want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee," Hank Steinbrenner told the New York Times on Sunday afternoon, "or a Toledo Mud Hen?"

Offline kimnat

« Reply #18: October 30, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »
Its like having a Disney Princess Party!

Except the Disney Princesses exude grace, poise and good manners!

MrMadison

« Reply #19: November 02, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »
A-Rod gets his first contract offer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3090231

Triple-A Toledo makes playful contract offer to A-Rod

Associated Press

Updated: November 1, 2007, 5:11 PM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Alex Rodriguez a Mud Hen?

Spurred by an offhand remark from George Steinbrenner's son, the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens want in on the A-Rod sweepstakes.

The Mud Hens playfully offered the prize free agent a deal Thursday -- a contract proposal that includes a bonus for hitting 75 home runs next year and leading them to 10 straight International League titles.

Rodriguez recently opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the New York Yankees. That prompted Hank Steinbrenner, son of the Yankees owner, to tell the New York Times: "Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, or a Toledo Mud Hen?"

The Mud Hens conjured up an offer to find out, said Jason Griffin, a spokesman for the Detroit Tigers' top farm team.

Toledo created a Hall of Fame plaque of Rodriguez wearing a Mud Hens hat and sent a letter to his agent, Scott Boras.

The deal stipulates that Rodriguez will have to compete for a spot with Toledo third basemen Mike Hessman, the league's most valuable player last season.

"Would your client be willing to play a different position?" the letter asked.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

LMAO. Toledo's got Jokes.

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: November 02, 2007, 02:54:24 PM »
HA ha, he's a Mud Hen! :lol:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #21: November 03, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »
Agent Told Yanks to Pay $350M for A-Rod
By RONALD BLUM,AP
NEW YORK (Nov. 2) - The Yankees were told by agent Scott Boras that they could not meet with Alex Rodriguez unless they presented an extension offer that guaranteed the star $350 million "as a floor."

Boras' remarks, first reported Friday by ESPN.com, were made Oct. 25 during a conversation between the agent and general manager Brian Cashman, a baseball official said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because those details were not made public.

Rodriguez had $81 million remaining over the final three years of his record $252 million, 10-year contract, and the deal contained an additional $10 million escalator. The Yankees were prepared to offer him an extension worth $25 million to $30 million a season for four or five years.

Boras then notified the Yankees on Sunday that the star third baseman was opting out of the contract to become a free agent.

Cashman declined to comment on the conversation, and Boras only would go into general details.

"We've made no offers to anyone and we have received no offers from anyone," Boras said. "I'm not going to respond."

New York said repeatedly that it would not negotiate with Rodriguez if he opted out.

"Brian's made it clear, and I've made it clear," Hank Steinbrenner, son of owner George Steinbrenner, said Friday.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #22: November 04, 2007, 08:12:04 PM »
What an arrogant jerk!

Alex Rodriguez, instant replay likely to be the hot topics at general managers' meetings

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
November 4, 2007

After spending a month publicly campaigning that Alex Rodriguez has baseball's highest value, agent Scott Boras says he's going to be more quiet now that the general managers' annual meetings are about to begin.

Boras arrived in Orlando, Fla., on Friday to begin setting up for this year's session, which starts Monday and runs through Thursday. A-Rod opted out of his record $252 million, 10-year contract with the New York Yankees and figures to set another high -- Boras told the Yankees they would have to put a $350 million offer on the table just to get a meeting with Rodriguez.

"Any discussions as to contract terms is between the teams and ourselves," Boras said Sunday. "It's clear for all of us that we're at that point now where we've got to do a lot of work with the teams involved, and we're going to keep the information and the dialogues with the clubs private and confidential as we go forward."

Speculation on possible destinations for Rodriguez has included the Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, New York Mets and Detroit Tigers. Given that Boras almost always goes for top dollar, often mentions mystery teams and loves to set records, it will be hard to separate fiction from fact until the deal is on the verge of being agreed to.

"In every free-agent negotiation for a statured player, there's a great deal of attention and there's a great deal of interest and there's a lot written," Boras said. "Most of it, when you look back at what's written, is really not relevant to what is really transpiring."

When he arrived at spring training with the Yankees last February, Rodriguez made clear that dollars are important to him.

"I love being the highest-paid player in the game. It's pretty cool. I like making that money," he said. "You get crushed, but you know what? It's pretty cool I enjoy it."

Boras wouldn't detail which clubs have contacted him about Rodriguez. Before Nov. 13, Rodriguez can discuss money only with the Yankees, who say they won't negotiate with him now that he's opted out and eliminated the subsidy that Texas agreed to in the 2004 trade.

"I'm not going to go through the laundry list of teams. I don't want to get into the number thing," Boras said. "There's obvious interest."

Franchises that do contact Boras about A-Rod should be prepared to get a slew of documentation on why he is worth $30 million or more annually. Boras spent much of the past month speaking of Rodriguez's worth to a team's box office, merchandise sales and television income.

"Certainly in doing our preparation, we've included the best experts we can certainly find to assist us in properly evaluating the values of the industry, the teams as we go forward," Boras said.

GMs also will start to feel each other out about trades -- Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox appeared particularly aggressive during last year's session. But this early, asking prices usually are too high for GMs to part with stars.

Instant replay will be the other big topic at this week's meetings. Commissioner Bud Selig, who opposes using replays to determine umpires' calls, said last month he was willing to let GMs examine whether it should be used.

Several GMs say they will support replays, in at least a limited form, with most mentioning it could be used to determine whether home runs stayed fair or went foul, and whether balls went over fences or hit the top and bounced back.

"That's a small start, and I would be in favor of that," Toronto's J.P. Ricciardi said Friday. "You've just got to be careful where we go with it because you could start reviewing everything, and I just don't know how you're going to be able to control that."

Updated on Sunday, Nov 4, 2007 6:52 pm, EST

Offline Dave B

« Reply #23: November 04, 2007, 08:20:58 PM »
at least he is good and arrogant. better than being average and arrogant

MrMadison

« Reply #24: November 05, 2007, 03:49:53 AM »
at least he is good and arrogant. better than being average and arrogant

at least he is honest.

as opposed to all these other "oh its not about the money" jerkoffs that are always lying their asses off as they run out of town towards the next big paycheck.

at least with PayRod, you KNOW that it's ALL about the money, and he's up front about it.  on top of him being the best player in the game.