Author Topic: 2012 March Madness thread  (Read 6366 times)

Offline NatsFanSince2005

Re: 2012 March Madness thread
« Reply #25: March 15, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
Far from it Chief. $800K for a school like Illinois to pay for hiring Smart is peanuts.
Plus an additional 250k on top of it if they want to avoid a home and home series. They could be owing VCU over $1M if they breach Smart's contract, that's before any contract with him and his new salary. There's no guarantee that he'd succeed in Big 10 competition and that's an expensive risk.

The guy also turned down Maryland and NC State last season to stay at VCU.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: March 16, 2012, 12:09:13 AM »
So, what should I expect from UVA tomorrow?

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #27: March 16, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »
I haven't followed them this year, so I don't know their trends. I think they'll play Florida close, but not win it. However, what do I know?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: March 16, 2012, 03:06:44 AM »
Pass to Mike Scott, solid defense, pass to Mike Scott, solid defense, pass to Mike Scott, solid defense.

Something like that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #29: March 16, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »
Plus an additional 250k on top of it if they want to avoid a home and home series. They could be owing VCU over $1M if they breach Smart's contract, that's before any contract with him and his new salary. There's no guarantee that he'd succeed in Big 10 competition and that's an expensive risk.

No, that's not an expensive risk for a school like Illinois. That's peanuts, like Spider said.

Smart will be up for every job opportunity from now until he leaves VCU. I'd wager he didn't turn down NC State and Maryland for VCU, but turned down NC State and Maryland for better opportunities down the road, like Illinois.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #30: March 16, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »

A loss.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #31: March 16, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »
No, that's not an expensive risk for a school like Illinois. That's peanuts, like Spider said.

Smart will be up for every job opportunity from now until he leaves VCU. I'd wager he didn't turn down NC State and Maryland for VCU, but turned down NC State and Maryland for better opportunities down the road, like Illinois.

Besides, everyone knows it's not the school that's making those payments - it's the boosters. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #32: March 16, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »
<----------------------   Go Rams   !!!!

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #33: March 16, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »

But he's also a midwest guy and has worked for Illinois' AD before.  One thing you can count on is that he didn't turn anybody down to stay at VCU forever, he turned them down because he's one of the hottest coaching candidates in the country and can afford to be choosy.  VCU will be fine, they obviously moved on from Grant ok. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #34: March 16, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
Besides, everyone knows it's not the school that's making those payments - it's the boosters. 

For comparison, Illinois just paid the buyout for Bruce Weber. $3.9 million.  :lmao: @ them getting scared off by Shaka's $850,000 buyout.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #35: March 16, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
Why would Shaka wanna leave VCU to go to Illinois?     Illinois would be the 5th best team in the CAA.    :poke:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #36: March 16, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »
Not if Shaka was coaching them, obviously. Shaka is a beast.

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #37: March 16, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
Illinois would be the 5th best team in the CAA.    :poke:

If they played the conference tourney in Champaign every year it wouldn't matter.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #38: March 16, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
If they played the conference tourney in Champaign every year it wouldn't matter.

Oh please  ...  it's unbecoming to make that tired argument.     Plus on subject, you know and I know they could play the CAA tourney in Champaign every year and Illinois still couldn't win it.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #39: March 16, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »
Internet rumors state that UCLA may also be interested in Shaka Smart. I don't know if they've fired their coach yet or not. I would cheer if he managed to turn both of them down too. That would be BOLD. Those self-entitled fans of both schools would be beside themselves haha.

Shaka should realize he's loved by his current school and they're paying him 1.1M/year in salary + pretty reasonable bonuses, like beating UR each year. Winning the CAA, more bonuses per NCAA tourney win, etc. The guy isn't hurting to pay the bills. If you go to Illinois, the pressure is on immediately and they want a sweet 16 at minimum within 2 years or he's already on the chopping block. Who would want that unrealistic pressure?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #40: March 16, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »
Internet rumors state that UCLA may also be interested in Shaka Smart. I don't know if they've fired their coach yet or not. I would cheer if he managed to turn both of them down too. That would be BOLD. Those self-entitled fans of both schools would be beside themselves haha.

Shaka should realize he's loved by his current school and they're paying him 1.1M/year in salary + pretty reasonable bonuses, like beating UR each year. Winning the CAA, more bonuses per NCAA tourney win, etc. The guy isn't hurting to pay the bills. If you go to Illinois, the pressure is on immediately and they want a sweet 16 at minimum within 2 years or he's already on the chopping block. Who would want that unrealistic pressure?

UCLA would be interesting but I think Howland and UCLA argreed he'd be back ...   maybe not.   

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #41: March 16, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
Shaka is gone, bro. Accept it now before your dreams get crushed. It was bold turning down an ACC school. You don't turn down UCLA.

Shaka already gave your school amazing an amazing run and is working on another one. Just enjoy it.

Edit: and I won't even bother with the "already making enough money" argument.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #42: March 16, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
UCLA would be interesting but I think Howland and UCLA argreed he'd be back ...   maybe not.   
Yeah, after I typed this, I read that UCLA is returning Howard. That's good for the crowd that wants Shaka to stay. He may turn down Illinois, I wouldn't be surprised. That program needs alot of work, and he already has a winning formula at VCU.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #43: March 16, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
I'm only a VCU "fan" for 2 more semesters.    After that, they're on their own.   Nothing I can do for 'em.    :)    Being an old guy, I think UCLA would be an almost perfect fit for Smart.   With the history, recruiting possibilities offered in Southern California, a young charismatic coach  ...   UCLA could be the Maryland of the West.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #44: March 16, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
I'm only a VCU "fan" for 2 more semesters.    After that, they're on their own.   Nothing I can do for 'em.    :)    Being an old guy, I think UCLA would be an almost perfect fit for Smart.   With the history, recruiting possibilities offered in Souther California, a young charismatic coach  ...   UCLA could be the Maryland of the West.
hahahah
UCLA has 11 titles, most of any school. I think the UNC or Duke comparison would be better than Maryland haha.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: March 16, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
hahahah
UCLA has 11 titles, most of any school. I think the UNC or Duke comparison would be better than Maryland haha.

I was pokin' fun at Lefty's comment back in the early '70's (I don't know how old you are or if you remember it.    The "old farts" know what I'm saying.)     TomTerp can fill in the details if you're not familiar with the comment by Lefty.   :)      Seriously though, I can see him leaving VCU for UCLA.   Illinois?    Not so much.

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #47: March 16, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
Seriously though, I can see him leaving VCU for UCLA.   Illinois?    Not so much.

I think this says about all it needs to say. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #48: March 16, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
I think this says about all it needs to say. 

Uhh, except Illinois is still a top 20 job is and likely a better fit for Smart than Maryland.

I'd be mildly surprised if he passed.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #49: March 16, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
Uhh, except Illinois is still a top 20 job is and likely a better fit for Smart than Maryland.

I'd be mildly surprised if he passed.
Only mildly surprised? You sound certain that he's going, as if you knew what he was thinking.