Author Topic: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 2  (Read 12050 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 2
« Reply #175: June 05, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
But getting excited about draft picks in baseball amounts to being a pathetic organization. We drafted guys 2 years ago that are still years away from being MLB ready. So this draft doesn't mean crap to me. The guys we draft today are more than likely still at least 3 years away.

We drafted really young guys in '06, so that was to be expected. What's important is that our minor league system has gotten 10x stronger over the last few years. That will pay off in the end.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #176: June 05, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »
 :hang:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #177: June 05, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »

I'm really happy w/ what they've done w/ the farm system so far.

Some people are fans more of the minor leagues than they are of the parent club and that's fine. I actually care mostly about the big league team so I don't really get excited about prospects.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #178: June 05, 2008, 04:03:17 PM »
We drafted really young guys in '06, so that was to be expected. What's important is that our minor league system has gotten 10x stronger over the last few years. That will pay off in the end.

It'll take a lot to sell me on that. I want to see the major league team get better and that's not happening. It's going backwards actually.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #179: June 05, 2008, 04:06:50 PM »
Some people are fans more of the minor leagues than they are of the parent club and that's fine. I actually care mostly about the big league team so I don't really get excited about prospects.

I'm a fan of both because they are all our players. Those prospects could be the guys that make the Nats better. We actually have impact players in our farm system now. I think that's worthy of getting excited about.

MrMadison

« Reply #180: June 05, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »

don't assume that because "some people" pay attention to the minor leagues, they don't care about the big league team.

"some people" just realize that building a strong minor league system will lead to sustained success at the major league level.  not *immediate* success.  but once success is reached, a strong minor league system will feed and sustain such success.

don't fault us because we are fans of the *entire* Organization.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #181: June 05, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »
I don't. That's what the FO wants people to hang their hats on. Besides, most of the players in the minors right now will never wear a Nationals uniform for the long run. A lot will never be good enough and some will get traded. Some of the best position players we have are years away from being MLB ready. We have a couple pitchers that could be ready in 2 years but what good does that do when you don't score runs? We're seeing how that works out right now.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #182: June 05, 2008, 04:13:27 PM »
don't assume that because "some people" pay attention to the minor leagues, they don't care about the big league team.

"some people" just realize that building a strong minor league system will lead to sustained success at the major league level.  not *immediate* success.  but once success is reached, a strong minor league system will feed and sustain such success.

don't fault us because we are fans of the *entire* Organization.

I don't understand why you took offense to what I said. I made an accurate statement and clearly stated that such attitude was fine for them but not for me. It's a personal preference.  I want to see results at the ML level over the minors. freak the minors. The FO wants people to be excited about the farm system because it's a way to make them believe everything is fine when it really isn't.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #183: June 05, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
They ask the dumbest and most irrelevant questions in the post game presser.

MrMadison

« Reply #184: June 05, 2008, 04:19:04 PM »
I don't understand why you took offense to what I said.

because your characterization of those of us who have the audacity to pay attention to the minor league system was inaccurate.  most of us care just as much about the Major League team as you do, but we realize that the minors are important as well, so we pay attention to it.

I want to see results at the ML level over the minors. freak the minors.

where do you think the majority of the players who will produce "results at the ML level" are going to come from?

I don't think that anyone who is "excited about the minors" would venture to say that things at the ML level are "fine".  I wouldn't.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #185: June 05, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »
I don't think anyone is a bigger fan of the Minor League teams than the Nats, though. Liking both doesn't mean you choose one over the other. And what you said is true: Most of the Minor League players will never see the light of day in the majors. But those few that do have to beat out all of those other guys and make it here. To me, it's pretty fun to watch these guys working their way through the system.

But they are two separate things. I'm not happy w/ the way the Nats are playing, but I'm plenty happy w/ how our farm system is being put together.

MrMadison

« Reply #186: June 05, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »

But they are two separate things. I'm not happy w/ the way the Nats are playing, but I'm plenty happy w/ how our farm system is beingput together.

QFT.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #187: June 05, 2008, 04:25:36 PM »
because your characterization of those of us who have the audacity to pay attention to the minor league system was inaccurate.  most of us care just as much about the Major League team as you do, but we realize that the minors are important as well, so we pay attention to it.

Where did I write anything that seemed negative about those that care mostly about the minor leagues? We clearly have members here that care more about the minors than they do the ML club. There are people like that everywhere. There is nothing wrong with that. That's their preference. When players make it to the big leagues they continue following the minors and the new players. My statement said that I'm not as concerned with that as I am with seeing results at the highest level. I wasn't even talking about you and I never even implied that people have the 'audacity' to pay attention to the minors.

where do you think the majority of the players who will produce "results at the ML level" are going to come from?

I'm glad you opened my eyes to that. I'm going to start scouring the high schools around the country then :? 

MrMadison

« Reply #188: June 05, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
at any rate spider, it's okay.  you aren't obligated to care about the minors, and I know that.

we'll continue to pay attention to what we pay attention to.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #189: June 05, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
We picked Clint Everts #5 overall in the '01 draft. Guys we could have gotten that went later in the 1st round:

P. Fielder, Hamels, Kazmir, Guthrie, Blanton, Cain, and Hermida. 

It's VERY important to have good scouts and a smart FO drafting these players. Everyone from around the league, for once, is agreeing that we have been making great picks since we moved here. Had we picked one of those guys I listed, we'd be at least a little better right now.

Offline blue911

« Reply #190: June 05, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
We picked Clint Everts #5 overall in the '01 draft.

Isn't he that annoying guy who asks questions at the Park?

MrMadison

« Reply #191: June 05, 2008, 06:23:30 PM »
Isn't he that annoying guy who asks questions at the Park?

he may as well be.

Clint Everts was the pre-cursor to John Patterson.

he was a walking, talking arm injury from what I recall.