Author Topic: Baseball/Football/Hockey/Whatever Cards  (Read 4691 times)

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
Baseball/Football/Hockey/Whatever Cards
« Topic Start: January 25, 2011, 02:09:22 PM »
 I stumbled into a gold mine last night of baseball cards. I like to go junking, and stopped at this Thrift Store that I junk at periodically, and found some one had unloaded a whole crate of baseball cards. I only got thru half of the plastic tub they were in - must be over 2000 baseball cards - old and new. Price was 12 cards for $1.99. It also had some Basketball, Hockey, & Football cards.
     For anyone that lives in the vicinity of Alexandria Va., and collects baseball cards, I would recommend you get over there - The Thrift Store is located on Sherwood Hall Lane, Alexandria, Va, right off Route 1 -for more specific directions -google it. So, it you go down Rt. 1, it is the street the intersects with Rt. 1 at the WalMart. Take a left on Sherwood Hall Lane, and the Thrift Store is immediately on the right. (It is close to where Mt. Vernon starts on Rt. 1)
Tub with card is located in the furniture section by the Big TV (go in store, take a left - past the check-out counter -keep going -funiture at end - go to left by big TV and dvd section.) Thrift Store is opens at 9:00am and closes at 9:00pm. Open 7 days a week.
             I picked up about 85 cards, including Roger Maris, Pudge, Dmitrii Young, Harold Reynolds, etc. If you collect baseball cards, and not for their value, but because you liked the players or sentimental reasons.....it is a good place to pick up some baseball cards - they are in good shape.  Good hunting...  :popcorn:

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Baseball/Football/Hockey/Whatever Cards
« Reply #1: January 25, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »
I've got an Ichiro rookie card.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: January 25, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
I got a Dave Winfield in a SD uniform with Washington on the top.  It was when SanDiego almost moved here.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: January 25, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »
I got a Dave Winfield in a SD uniform with Washington on the top.  It was when SanDiego almost moved here.

That's a great collectible.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #4: January 25, 2011, 11:24:02 PM »
             I picked up about 85 cards, including Roger Maris, Pudge, Dmitrii Young, Harold Reynolds, etc. If you collect baseball cards, and not for their value, but because you liked the players or sentimental reasons.....it is a good place to pick up some baseball cards - they are in good shape.  Good hunting...  :popcorn:

Is the Maris card when he was with the Indians, Athletics, Yankees or Cardinals?

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #5: January 26, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
I used to try t collect every Cal Ripken card.  Then too many companies had so many different levels and inserts etc.  I gave up.  Now I try to collect NATS team sets, Ryan Z, and any Nats I happen to get opening a pack.

Used to be just my luck that I'd get a Barry Bonds insert card >:(

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: January 26, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
I got big into collecting again late in 2010. It's a lot of fun opening up a pack to see what guys you get.

Hopefully some day some of the cards will be worth something and I can pass them off to my kids.

Recently, my girlfriend bought a ton of unopened old packs... one of the cards was a Steve McCatty Oakland A's card. Might try to get him to autograph it someday.

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #7: February 02, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »
Is the Maris card when he was with the Indians, Athletics, Yankees or Cardinals?
            Yankees....  :popcorn:

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #8: February 02, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
I used to try t collect every Cal Ripken card.  Then too many companies had so many different levels and inserts etc.  I gave up.  Now I try to collect NATS team sets, Ryan Z, and any Nats I happen to get opening a pack.
Used to be just my luck that I'd get a Barry Bonds insert card >:(
            I picked up a Bill Ripklen card, which I totally have never seen before.  Yea, I got several Barry Bonds cards, but I wanted them. Also got some Harold Reynolds and Barry Larkin cards, since I see them all the time on the MLB Channel show -"Hot Stove". Only got a Dmitri Young card when he was younger, but didn't see any other Nats in the pile.
                                                                              :popcorn:

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #9: February 02, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
   If  anybody is looking for any particular player's card, let me know and I will search the pile -they seem to be adding more cards to the large mail tub every week. Not Nats cards but other teams, other players, and older player's cards. They also put a bunch of hockey cards out the last time I hit/visited the Thrift Store in VA.
    Especially if you don't live in the Metro DC area, I will look for the cards for you, and if I fine/discover them, I will mail them to you -no charge. (since I am going to be there looking anyway). Last time I was there, last week, I picked up a card with Mickey Mantle sliding into home -it was kinda cool, to have a picture card of Mickey Mantle and an actual event.  Also found some old D. Jeter and A-Rod cards with the Yankees - way back -they looked sooo young compared to now. Fun, fun, fun..... :popcorn:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #10: February 02, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »
Sold this Maris last year. It was in terrible shape.

Offline John

« Reply #11: February 02, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
            I picked up a Bill Ripklen card, which I totally have never seen before.  Yea, I got several Barry Bonds cards, but I wanted them. Also got some Harold Reynolds and Barry Larkin cards, since I see them all the time on the MLB Channel show -"Hot Stove". Only got a Dmitri Young card when he was younger, but didn't see any other Nats in the pile.
                                                                              :popcorn:

Regarding Bill Ripken is that the Fleer F. Face card?  That one is legendary!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #12: February 02, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
I was huge into baseball cards as a kid in the early 90s. Then the million "inserts" came up, I gave up. Tried doing it again in 05-06 when the Nats came to town. First tried to get Nats cards, then stuck to just a couple players. Even that was too much. As neat as having pieces of uniforms etc is, when they have a hundred different versions of the same card, each rarer than the last, I lost interest. Having cards that there are only ten, five and one in the entire world of... I don't understand how they believe that interests anyone or helps them sell cards. People are completists by nature. When you have one card in existence, that's insane. Until they change their ways and realize they had the most success when they didn't pull these gimmicks, and that their downfall started when they started them, I just can't maintain an interest or the financial means to collect them as I would want to if I collected them.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #13: February 02, 2011, 06:17:57 PM »

At the time that was quite an expensive card.  In the hundreds of dollars.   It was rumored that Fleet had a recall of their factory sets.  This was NOT the case because I knew dealers that never got such a letter.

Then there we're like 3 or 4 ways the card company tried to cover it up.  One was scribbled with a Sharpie.   One was a white square over the words.  Then a black square over the letters.

I've seen the card at Memoribilia shows for 5-10 dollars.

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #14: February 03, 2011, 07:28:54 AM »
Really, I will have to go back and check.  I got it because I had never seen a Bill Ripken card before. Thanks for the info.......I'll check it out......   :popcorn:

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #15: February 03, 2011, 07:52:52 AM »
Really, I will have to go back and check.  I got it because I had never seen a Bill Ripken card before. Thanks for the info.......I'll check it out......   :popcorn:

The "freak" face was written on the bottom of handle of the bat.

Offline John

« Reply #16: February 03, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »
The "freak" face was written on the bottom of handle of the bat.
Wasn't that strange to you how that was written? I even heard rumors that he knew about it the whole time. I mean it was perfect the way it came out on the card, not crooked or anything! Do you know? As far as I know it was a coincidence on how it came out and it was a prank by a teammate but I do not know who.

I have seen all variations of the card that you mentioned a couple of posts above.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #17: February 03, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »

Here you go.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #18: February 03, 2011, 05:47:04 PM »
I'm Told someone at the factory wrote it on there.  Don't ask him about it though.  He'll deny knowing about it and wont discuss it.  I remember the dealers had to advertise it and only show it to adults.  It was known as the Billy Ripken error card.

Billy was a decent defensive 2nd baseman.  Wasn't a great hitter though.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #19: February 03, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
At the time that was quite an expensive card.  In the hundreds of dollars.   It was rumored that Fleet had a recall of their factory sets.  This was NOT the case because I knew dealers that never got such a letter.

Then there we're like 3 or 4 ways the card company tried to cover it up.  One was scribbled with a Sharpie.   One was a white square over the words.  Then a black square over the letters.

I've seen the card at Memoribilia shows for 5-10 dollars.

I had a real one, my mom threw it away :bang:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: February 16, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
Do they still have those magazines with all the baseball card values in them?  My mom's been begging me to get my old crap out of the house.  Well, she's selling the house so I finally picked up the stuff tonight and picked up all my old baseball cards.  I'm not sure if there's anything of value in there and the grocery store and Wal-Mart I stopped at didn't carry them. 

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #21: February 16, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »
Yep,  the most well known is Beckett.  It comes out every other month for Baseball and in between it's all sports.

Borders and Barnes and Noble carry it.  Sometimes I see it at Giant Food.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: February 16, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
Ok, I'll run to B&N tomorrow.  I'll be in the neighborhood anyway, perfect.  Thanks!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #23: February 16, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
Do they still have those magazines with all the baseball card values in them?  My mom's been begging me to get my old crap out of the house.  Well, she's selling the house so I finally picked up the stuff tonight and picked up all my old baseball cards.  I'm not sure if there's anything of value in there and the grocery store and Wal-Mart I stopped at didn't carry them. 
The Beckett guide is good - or you could go on eBay and see what the cards are actually selling for.

What years are your cards from?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #24: February 16, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
It's a pretty wide variety.  I'll sit down and see what's in the boxes sometime in the next couple of weeks.