Author Topic: Video Games (2009-2011)  (Read 90151 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Video Games
« Reply #225: December 14, 2009, 10:49:23 AM »
If you want to try runes of magic, the january issue of pc gamer has the entire client on the disc that comes with the mag.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #226: December 14, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 is coming!!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/batman-arkham-spike-tv/59829

I absolutely loved the first one... and now it looks like they've moved it into the city.

So pumped!

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #227: December 14, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »
turned my MMO rant into a blog post.

check it.

http://bit.ly/56gUtn

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #228: December 17, 2009, 01:13:58 PM »
found a nice little browser-based MMORTS called Heroes of Gaia.

it's not too shabby for being completely browser-based(meaning you can play it on literally any computer with a web browser and internet access). but then again, I had very low expectations going in.

people say it is very similar to a game called Heroes of Might and Magic. I've never played it, so I wouldn't know.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #229: December 17, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »

it's not too shabby for being completely browser-based(meaning you can play it on literally any computer with a web browser and internet access). but then again, I had very low expectations going in.

people say it is very similar to a game called Heroes of Might and Magic. I've never played it, so I wouldn't know.

I'll look into this! It looks like fun!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #230: December 25, 2009, 10:51:58 PM »
holy freak. got my new ps3 hooked up to my 1080p plasma tv and to my yamaha surround sound set.

incredible

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #231: December 25, 2009, 11:01:29 PM »
holy freak. got my new ps3 hooked up to my 1080p plasma tv and to my yamaha surround sound set.

incredible

ps3 is teh crap. you've gotta get MLB the show and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when they come out in March. The latter will kick the crap out of Modern Warfare 2 (and the first one is just as good, though it's from 2008).

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #232: December 26, 2009, 02:50:52 AM »
I got New Super Mario Bros Wii for Christmas.  I love the 2D mario platformers.  On my Wii I have Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3 from NES, Super Mario World from SNES (probably my gave, lots of childhood memories), plus I have Super Paper Mario for Wii (mostly 2D), Super Mario Galaxy (3D but very cool game play), and now New Super Mario Bros Wii.

I just love the simplicity of them.  Sometimes I find modern games too complex.  Too much to worry about at any one time, too many buttons to know.  The Super Mario Bros series is simple without being easy.  If that makes sense.  For instance, my dad can play it where he can't play other games, yet I can still find it challenging.

incredible
ps3 is teh crap. you've gotta get MLB the show and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when they come out in March. The latter will kick the crap out of Modern Warfare 2 (and the first one is just as good, though it's from 2008).
My first baseball game was MLB 2k9 on 360.  Now that I have 2 ps3's, i think I might get one for it.  I'm guessng you guys will get The Show?  I've had demos, but I don't get that game.  I prefer using the sticks to make getures for pitching and hitting than button presses.  It doesn't help that they're demos and I have no manual to read to try to figure out the controls.

If you guys get this years bb game, I'll try to get the same one to maybe do some online matches.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #233: December 26, 2009, 06:53:15 PM »
So ya, I got a ps3 for christmas, and I'm glad the Bad Company beta is still going. Got to see how it is, and I know it's a day 1 buy for the 360 (Unless it's an exclusive to ps3, I refuse to play a fps with a ps3 controller) for me.

Now I just need to figure out what games to get.

Again, if you have a key for it, tryout the BC2 beta, no clue how much longer it'll keep going.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #234: December 26, 2009, 10:31:26 PM »
I got New Super Mario Bros Wii for Christmas.  I love the 2D mario platformers.  On my Wii I have Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3 from NES, Super Mario World from SNES (probably my gave, lots of childhood memories), plus I have Super Paper Mario for Wii (mostly 2D), Super Mario Galaxy (3D but very cool game play), and now New Super Mario Bros Wii.

I just love the simplicity of them.  Sometimes I find modern games too complex.  Too much to worry about at any one time, too many buttons to know.  The Super Mario Bros series is simple without being easy.  If that makes sense.  For instance, my dad can play it where he can't play other games, yet I can still find it challenging.
My first baseball game was MLB 2k9 on 360.  Now that I have 2 ps3's, i think I might get one for it.  I'm guessng you guys will get The Show?  I've had demos, but I don't get that game.  I prefer using the sticks to make getures for pitching and hitting than button presses.  It doesn't help that they're demos and I have no manual to read to try to figure out the controls.

If you guys get this years bb game, I'll try to get the same one to maybe do some online matches.

Now that you have a ps3 you have NO REASON to buy ANY other baseball game than the Show. It is the BEST sports game on the market, period. It's amazing. It doesn't use the sticks, but it is far and away better than 2k in every single aspect of the game. Top to bottom, it's better. Not even a competition.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #235: December 26, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
Now that you have a ps3 you have NO REASON to buy ANY other baseball game than the Show. It is the BEST sports game on the market, period. It's amazing. It doesn't use the sticks, but it is far and away better than 2k in every single aspect of the game. Top to bottom, it's better. Not even a competition.
I've had a PS3, now i have 2.  But I don't like the show.  I have a demo, but I can't figure out how to pitch or hit.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #236: December 26, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »

I've been enjoying this one while snowed in.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #237: December 26, 2009, 10:58:14 PM »
I've had a PS3, now i have 2.  But I don't like the show.  I have a demo, but I can't figure out how to pitch or hit.

If you spend 60 dollars on 2k10 this year, you will be wasting your money. The Show takes a little time to figure out but the graphics, franchise, and overall gameplay are  absolutely fantastic.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #238: December 26, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »
If you spend 60 dollars on 2k10 this year, you will be wasting your money. The Show takes a little time to figure out but the graphics, franchise, and overall gameplay are  absolutely fantastic.
Does the manual tell you anything?  Like how to pitch?  It's damned frustrating that the demo doesn't tell you crap.  Really turned me off to the whole series.  After walking in 5 runs I gave up on it and tried the 2k demo, it told me how to do things, so I had a much better time.

I guess I can give the show a chance this year.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #239: December 26, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Does the manual tell you anything?  Like how to pitch?  It's damned frustrating that the demo doesn't tell you crap.  Really turned me off to the whole series.  After walking in 5 runs I gave up on it and tried the 2k demo, it told me how to do things, so I had a much better time.

I guess I can give the show a chance this year.

Yes, pitching is actually really easy once you work on it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #240: December 26, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »
When does the new "The Show" come out? Should I wait or buy the old one in the meantime?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #241: December 27, 2009, 12:18:05 AM »
When does the new "The Show" come out? Should I wait or buy the old one in the meantime?
'09 came out in March so I'd guess '10 would come out around the same time this year.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #242: December 27, 2009, 01:09:17 AM »
I figured out how to pitch, I think. Only gave up 1 run in 3 innings. Can't for the life of me figure out how to hit. The only base hit I had was a bunt, and that was by accident pushing buttons.

Otherwise, the game does own the 2k series in graphics and pretty much everything else from what I can see. I just wish you had to use the sticks (or had the option) to hit/pitch. Maybe it'll be in MLB '10: The Show.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #243: December 27, 2009, 04:12:51 AM »
For the new PS3 owners ( I dont have one ) The Show is definitely your best bet for MLB... I'm still stuck with crap 2k and the 2k10 coming out. I can't wait till EA can make a MLB game.

I dunno about Bad Company 2. I haven't played it or seen anything, but MW2 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. I've been addicted to it for awhile. If Bad Company is anything like Battlefield 1943 they released on the xbox live arcade, i may give it a try.

For MMO's... I think The Old Republic is definitely a buy imo. I like star wars alot and KOTOR 1&2 were pretty awesome. Not to mention its BIOWARE who made Mass Effect (and 2 which comes out in about a month)... Definitely being a Sith Bounty Hunter :lol:

My buddy got me Bioshock because I have never played it and he loves that game.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #244: December 27, 2009, 08:34:53 AM »
For the new PS3 owners ( I dont have one ) The Show is definitely your best bet for MLB... I'm still stuck with crap 2k and the 2k10 coming out. I can't wait till EA can make a MLB game.

I dunno about Bad Company 2. I haven't played it or seen anything, but MW2 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. I've been addicted to it for awhile. If Bad Company is anything like Battlefield 1943 they released on the xbox live arcade, i may give it a try.

For MMO's... I think The Old Republic is definitely a buy imo. I like star wars alot and KOTOR 1&2 were pretty awesome. Not to mention its BIOWARE who made Mass Effect (and 2 which comes out in about a month)... Definitely being a Sith Bounty Hunter :lol:

My buddy got me Bioshock because I have never played it and he loves that game.

Call of Duty is just full of so much bullcrap that it can ruin it sometimes. Bad Company 1 is just so much better. Destructible environment, 100% more realistic weapons, and less noobish. Call of Duty: MW2 was made so that idiots could play easily and succeed. Battlefield doesn't have that.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #245: December 28, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
Call of Duty is just full of so much bullcrap that it can ruin it sometimes. Bad Company 1 is just so much better. Destructible environment, 100% more realistic weapons, and less noobish. Call of Duty: MW2 was made so that idiots could play easily and succeed. Battlefield doesn't have that.

Yea I can definitely see that in mw2. It can be bullcrap when people camp and then call in their killstreaks. I have fun with it without a doubt though. I am definitely going to try out bad company though.

HOCKEY GAME QUESTION:

I recently played NHL 10 at my cousins house and it made me want to get a hockey game. Does anyone have either NHL 2k10 or NHL 10?

I've read comparisons but people say NHL 10 is better. Id like to hear some opinions on it from you guys if any of you have it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #246: December 28, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
Yea I can definitely see that in mw2. It can be bullcrap when people camp and then call in their killstreaks. I have fun with it without a doubt though. I am definitely going to try out bad company though.

HOCKEY GAME QUESTION:

I recently played NHL 10 at my cousins house and it made me want to get a hockey game. Does anyone have either NHL 2k10 or NHL 10?

I've read comparisons but people say NHL 10 is better. Id like to hear some opinions on it from you guys if any of you have it.

I love NHL10 but there is also so much bullcrap in it, too. The AI is terrible. But there are so many options, so many things to do, and the atmosphere is great. It's flat-out FUN despite it's issues. I totally recommend it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #247: December 28, 2009, 04:06:40 PM »
HOCKEY GAME QUESTION:

The only commentary I can offer is taht a very good friend of mine who I went to college with and studied acting alongside is one of the "Hockey Moms" on the NHL 2K10 ads.  :D

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #248: December 28, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
I love NHL10 but there is also so much bullcrap in it, too. The AI is terrible. But there are so many options, so many things to do, and the atmosphere is great. It's flat-out FUN despite it's issues. I totally recommend it.

Thats the funny thing. People say 2k10s is even worse. They say its more arcadeish compared to NHL 10's realistic feel. I wish 10 had 2k10s boxart and soundtrack though.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #249: December 28, 2009, 05:11:04 PM »
Thats the funny thing. People say 2k10s is even worse. They say its more arcadeish compared to NHL 10's realistic feel. I wish 10 had 2k10s boxart and soundtrack though.

Every video I've seen of 2k10 looks awful.