Author Topic: <Athlete's Name> girlfriend  (Read 1680 times)

Offline PC

<Athlete's Name> girlfriend
« Topic Start: November 21, 2011, 12:44:07 AM »
This was mentioned in another thread about this always being one of the top suggestions when you type in an athlete's name. 

I'm curious as to who does this search and what exactly they expect to find at the other end, a name...nude photos?  It's perplexing to me why so many people do this search that it's one of the top suggestions.

FYI, I tried some generally famous young-ish men (musicians, actors e.g.) and it's usually one of the top suggestions for them as well though, oddly, not for Bryce Harper.  His suggestions are "news", "stats" and "twitter".

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: <Athlete's Name> girlfriend
« Reply #1: November 21, 2011, 12:47:18 AM »
Harper isn't well known enough yet. Once he makes it to the majors, it will be one his top suggestions too.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: November 21, 2011, 01:18:59 AM »
I think with a lot of the searches, they're doing to see if that person is available.

Offline PC

« Reply #3: November 21, 2011, 01:46:17 AM »
I think with a lot of the searches, they're doing to see if that person is available.

In other words, gold diggers, plotting strategy?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #4: November 21, 2011, 05:20:13 AM »
Look at the volume of tabloid and celebrity gossip rags. Like it or not there are people out there that want to know everything about public figures. Our local variant, the political groupie, is one of the more pathetic variants.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #5: November 21, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »
Our local variant, the political groupie, is one of the more pathetic variants.

It gets no more pathetic than this:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #6: November 21, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
Some people just have attractive girlfriends so people want to see who their favorite player is with. Like during March madness last year jimmers girl was a big topic (but also because of his religion )

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: November 21, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Buckcherry wrote a song about her, great tune.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #8: November 21, 2011, 04:39:30 PM »
Buckcherry wrote a song about her, great tune.

Does it rip off "Shock Me"?

Offline PC

« Reply #9: November 21, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »
Doing these searches gives a fascinating view of the "mind" of the World Wide Web.

I did some more searches purely out of curiosity.  For the Nationals, "girlfriend" isn't one of the suggestions for Harper as I mentioned but it is for Storen, Clippard and Espinosa.  "Wife" is one for Desmond and Werth.  It's not for JZ.  His Tommy John surgery occupied his suggestions and Ramos kidnapping occupied his.  I wonder what it was like two weeks ago.  Strasburg doesn't get girlfriend or wife as suggestions.

Oddly, for Ryan Zimmerman it also isn't one of the suggestions but "fathead jr" is! :lol:  Is his fathead that popular???  Not for Michael Morse also but "beast mode" is.  :)

Looking beyond the Nationals, Sidney Crosby is coming back tonight and "girlfriend" is not one of his suggestions but "retire" and "concussion" are.  For Rex Grossman, his are "stats", "jewish", "redskins" and "fat". :lol:

This is my new obsession.   :mg:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #10: November 22, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Never heard of her. I vaguely recall the show exists but I ignore reality t.v. Shows.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #11: November 22, 2011, 07:16:29 AM »
That's Mr. Pathetic Variant to you !

Our local variant, the political groupie, is one of the more pathetic variants.

Offline PC

« Reply #12: November 22, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
Who the hell is searching for Prince Fielder?  His suggestions are "stats", "orioles", "nationals" and "vegetarian".

:shock:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #13: November 23, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »
Who the hell is searching for Prince Fielder?  His suggestions are "stats", "orioles", "nationals" and "vegetarian".

:shock:

Because Google tries to display what you're interested in. So if I google Prince Fielder, the suggestions and top results are different from someone in San Francisco who googles Prince Fielder. They might get "stats", "Giants", "Athletics", "Vegetarian".

Likewise, if I type in "Egypt Protests", it's going to suggest links that people in my area/demographic/insert-whatever-Google-knows-about-me selected. The results are going to be completely different from someone in the Middle East who googles "Egypt Protests".

So Google is creating little localized bubbles and isn't distributing information evenly.

There's a Ted Talk on this and some of the dangers. Basically it says it's not a good thing if Google knows everything about us and only displays information that it thinks we want to know. People already have a tendency to want information that reinforces our beliefs and now Google is doing it for us.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: November 23, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
Because Google tries to display what you're interested in. So if I google Prince Fielder, the suggestions and top results are different from someone in San Francisco who googles Prince Fielder. They might get "stats", "Giants", "Athletics", "Vegetarian".

Likewise, if I type in "Egypt Protests", it's going to suggest links that people in my area/demographic/insert-whatever-Google-knows-about-me selected. The results are going to be completely different from someone in the Middle East who googles "Egypt Protests".

So Google is creating little localized bubbles and isn't distributing information evenly.

There's a Ted Talk on this and some of the dangers. Basically it says it's not a good thing if Google knows everything about us and only displays information that it thinks we want to know. People already have a tendency to want information that reinforces our beliefs and now Google is doing it for us.

Which may explain why we get predominently WNFF hits when we search on "Mindfact".

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #15: November 23, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
For Rex Grossman, his are "stats", "jewish", "redskins" and "fat". :lol:

Rex Grossman is jewish  :shock:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: November 23, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »
Rex Grossman is jewish  :shock:

Just like Rick Eckstein...

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #17: November 24, 2011, 03:19:12 AM »
Just like Rick Eckstein...

well Eckstein sounds like it is a jewish name. I don't think any religion or ethnicity wants to claim the Grossman name. We need a racial draft like on the Chappelle show to determine who is stuck with the Grossman name.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #18: November 24, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »

http://duckduckgo.com/ is a non-bubble search engine.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: November 24, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
How many searches does it take to create a bubble?  If I search on "Jayson Werth albatross" 100 times each from my laptop, phone, and office PC, would that be enough to make it a top suggestion?