Author Topic: Aroldis Chapman  (Read 2927 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Re: Aroldis Chapman
« Reply #25: August 31, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »
I swear I saw a study that said arms start to rip apart on anything past 104.

ditto

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #26: August 31, 2010, 01:39:07 PM »
I swear I saw a study that said arms start to rip apart on anything past 104.

I mentioned his name earlier, but Dr. Fleisig did this study using cadavers, so obviously there would be some differences in a live arm, but he concluded that structurally the arm cannot withstand the force needed to generate a pitch of speeds in excess of 103 MPH.  Let us say that Chapman did reach 105 levels, it adds an incredible amount of risk to a arm motion that is already inherently risky.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #27: August 31, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »
I just don't want to see him flopping around like Tom Browning someday.  I get sick just thinking about it...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: August 31, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
I believe John Smiley had something similar happen... thankfully his injury took place in the bullpen away from where most fans could see.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #29: August 31, 2010, 02:02:58 PM »
How long does he have before Dusty ruins him by making him a starter?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #30: August 31, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
They plan to use him as a starter next year.  He'll be used like David Price was for Tampa when they made their WS run.

Offline slugger14

« Reply #31: August 31, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »

Dusty has that well deserved reputation from his Cub days but he really for the most part has handled the pitching staff well especially this year. Two years ago he did throw Aaron Harang in relief on short rest and Harang has not been the same since. However since that time Dusty hasn't made any moves that would lead us to think he was damaging a pitchers arm. There is talk that Reds management has given Dusty a stern warning not to let happen to the Reds staff with what he did with Wood and Prior.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: August 31, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
Leake.

Offline slugger14

« Reply #33: August 31, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »
Leake.

Leake has not been considered overused by Dusty. Remember Leake just last year was pitching for Arizona State and went straight to  MLB without any exposure to the minors. Leake right now is considered to be out of gas but not overused or abused by Dusty.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: August 31, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »
Leake has not been considered overused by Dusty. Remember Leake just last year was pitching for Arizona State and went straight to  MLB without any exposure to the minors. Leake right now is considered to be out of gas but not overused or abused by Dusty.
His track record, though, causes a lot of people to be worried.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #35: August 31, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »

Leake, shoulder, DL.  Try again.

Offline blue911

« Reply #36: August 31, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »

A shoulder strain isn't "out of gas".

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: August 31, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
Look, far be it from me to take a chance and bust Dusty... but most pitchers, regardless of work load are ticking time bombs. Some just blow up earlier than others.

Offline slugger14

« Reply #38: August 31, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »

A shoulder strain isn't "out of gas".

The Reds have a very nice problem in that they have so many quality pitchers and not enough roster spots for the pitchers. Yes, Leake has a strained shoulder "wink wink" as they make room for Chapman and Bailey on the roster.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #39: August 31, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
The Reds have a very nice problem in that they have so many quality pitchers and not enough roster spots for the pitchers. Yes, Leake has a strained shoulder "wink wink" as they make room for Chapman and Bailey on the roster.
It follows to closely to Bakers trend to just "wink, wink" it away.  He's been too good this year to just sweep him to the DL to make room for Chap and Bailey.  If you're closing in on the playoffs, don't you want the best pitchers on your roster available, whether it be starting our out of the pen?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: August 31, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »
Look, far be it from me to take a chance and bust Dusty... but most pitchers, regardless of work load are ticking time bombs. Some just blow up earlier than others.

I was listenting to will carrol on a pod cast today and he said there should be a study published soon showing there is no such thing as a safe workload for a pitcher under 24, basically it's just a roll of the dice every time they pitch

Offline slugger14

« Reply #41: August 31, 2010, 02:50:23 PM »
It follows to closely to Bakers trend to just "wink, wink" it away.  He's been too good this year to just sweep him to the DL to make room for Chap and Bailey.  If you're closing in on the playoffs, don't you want the best pitchers on your roster available, whether it be starting our out of the pen?

Chapman and Bailey as of now are better than Leake. Leake started off incredibly strong but as of the past couple months he has come back to earth. One theory is the league has adjusted to him but also he seems to have lost a little bite off his fastball. The opinion around Reds country is he doesn't have the endurance yet to last an entire MLB season.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #42: August 31, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
Chapman and Bailey as of now are better than Leake. Leake started off incredibly strong but as of the past couple months he has come back to earth. One theory is the league has adjusted to him but also he seems to have lost a little bite off his fastball. The opinion around Reds country is he doesn't have the endurance yet to last an entire MLB season.
Sure, that's what any fanbase would have.  And, hopefully that's all it is.  But on the outside looking in, if you take a look at the track record of Baker, it is reasonable to question that there could be more than just fatigue.  You can see that, right?

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #43: August 31, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »
What is disputable? Cuba has solid birth records if I'm not mistaken.

I read somewhere that they reported his age in the world baseball classic as 26. Maybe it was a misprint/mistranslation or something but I think he was listed as 26.

Edit: Apparently his age is considered to be legit.

Offline slugger14

« Reply #44: August 31, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »
Sure, that's what any fanbase would have.  And, hopefully that's all it is.  But on the outside looking in, if you take a look at the track record of Baker, it is reasonable to question that there could be more than just fatigue.  You can see that, right?

Oh I agree 100%, Dusty has that reputation and from the outside yes it could look like Dusty ruined another pitcher. Leake has pitched in 24 games and has 138 innings which averages out to a little over 6 innings per outing. Plus he has yet to throw a complete  game this year and his longest outing was 8.1 innings. I really don't see a case to make that Dusty has ruined Leake.

Here are Leakes stats. If you look you will see he was dominant early on but has struggled badly since July 4th.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?c_id=cin&playerID=502190&statType=2

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #45: August 31, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »
If he's going to be throwing 105 as a starter, they might as well schedule a meeting with Dr Andrews.

this. he and Strasburg can share stock tips in the waiting area.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #46: August 31, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »
They plan to use him as a starter next year.  He'll be used like David Price was for Tampa when they made their WS run.
I'm guessing he'll tear something in mid-August next year.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #47: August 31, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
jcrasnick

Watching the Reds game. In a text poll, 32% of fans think Chapman's FB will hit 106 mph+. Talk about unreasonable expectations.
Twitter

Offline slugger14

« Reply #48: August 31, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
Chapman is in the game.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #49: September 16, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »
it looks like Chapman could be the closer in Cincy down the final stretch.