Author Topic: MLB seeks Suspensions in relation to Miami Clinic  (Read 6179 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
A-Fraud is officially toast...he's on the cover of the new SI.

What a perfect finish.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
I'd completely support a first time offender lifetime ban. No reason a professional athlete should get off on what amounts to a warning. I'm a gym rat and I carefully watch what goes into my diet, and I'm not getting paid like they are. Nobody "unknowingly" takes banned substances.

On the Miami Clinic, Bosch should see serious jail time. Not for giving professional athletes drugs, but for giving them to teenagers. That's the most appalling thing about it.

To your first point MLB agreed with the MLBPA on suspensions and it should be handled per that contract.  If they want to change the rules I would support it too. 

To your second point it is simple supply and demand.  I guarantee he didn't force the teenagers to take/use PEDs.  If not him someone else would have supplied them.  He only cared about the  :money:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Just got an update from espn as well. 10 players suspended on Monday including a-rod. 

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
so...we react with outrage IF Gio is suspended too, yes?

apparently the number of suspensions is up to 12 now.

NOTE: I said IF. I'm not saying that he definitely will. but IF he is, I would hope that folks to give him the same righteous outrage that they give everyone else that isn't a Nat.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I'd completely support a first time offender lifetime ban. No reason a professional athlete should get off on what amounts to a warning. I'm a gym rat and I carefully watch what goes into my diet, and I'm not getting paid like they are. Nobody "unknowingly" takes banned substances.

On the Miami Clinic, Bosch should see serious jail time. Not for giving professional athletes drugs, but for giving them to teenagers. That's the most appalling thing about it.

I agree with both points. In fact, Robin Yount seemed to say, during Brewers/Nats broadcast, that it would be a good thing to get rid of drugs once and for all. Test thoroughly and make sure no player thinks of doing it because they know they'll be caught and banned. Of course, Yount mixed his comments with a lot of, "I don't really know"s, but gist was make sure every player knows they'll be caught the first time they try.

High-school kids? Disgusting. Probably a crime...not just a violation of MLB's rules.

Offline TigerFan

so...we react with outrage IF Gio is suspended too, yes?

apparently the number of suspensions is up to 12 now.

NOTE: I said IF. I'm not saying that he definitely will. but IF he is, I would hope that folks to give him the same righteous outrage that they give everyone else that isn't a Nat.

I'd react with the same outrage for Gio that I'd have for the other first time offenders.  ARod is not a first timer and is way more dirty that Gio or any of the other first timers.  Anyone guilty is disgusting but repeat offenders and anyone trying to hide the truth is worse.  IMO

Offline Coladar

I'd imagine this has already been posted somewhere, but reading this in ESPN's recap of our game left me amazed - see below, but they're doling out $10 to every single fan for every single game in August as an apology over the Braun affair. Props to the Brewers for doing this, and doing it for something they neither had any control over (the suspension) or any fault with (All Braun, you can hardly blame their FO for choosing him over Prince or someone else.)

This'll add up to a pretty penny by the end of the month. Other franchises could take a lesson from this - I've definitely never heard of any team doing anything like this before. And it sure as hell isn't like a fan is guaranteed to see any player at any time... a trip to the DL is all too common for superstar players.

A-Rod's been out all year, before serving a day of his impending suspension - how much $$$ have fans of the pinstripes received in compensation? The Brewers were under no obligation to do anything, much less on this scale - a one-game "sorry!" would have been unusual enough. An entire month? Awesome. Based on this alone, it seems the ownership of the Brewers is stellar and should be the model other teams look to follow. Clearly an organization focused on the fan experience/contentment.

The attendance for the first two games of the series was 70,514, meaning the team handed out $705,100 in vouchers for food and merchandise. The team is handing out $10 vouchers to every fan that attends a home game in August as a result of slugger Ryan Braun's suspension for the rest or the season.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'd imagine this has already been posted somewhere, but reading this in ESPN's recap of our game left me amazed - see below, but they're doling out $10 to every single fan for every single game in August as an apology over the Nats' 2013 season.   Props to the Nats for doing this.   (You can hardly blame their FO for choosing ALR over Prince or someone else.)

FITY

Online HalfSmokes

Yep why can't every team be like the Brewers,  signing the wrong guy long term while watching lee,  Sabathia. Fielder and Greinke pass through great FO

Offline mitlen

Maybe the players will try this:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21576891/on-this-date-in-1950-bob-feller-demanded-a-pay-cut

Here's another  ..  Stan Musial

"Based on his 1959 performance, Musial accepted a pay cut in 1960 from his previous $100,000 salary to $80,000.   Eager to prove his mediocre performance was the result of improper physical conditioning."

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
MLBPA would never allow pay cuts.

Online HalfSmokes

Maybe the players will try this:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21576891/on-this-date-in-1950-bob-feller-demanded-a-pay-cut

Here's another  ..  Stan Musial

"Based on his 1959 performance, Musial accepted a pay cut in 1960 from his previous $100,000 salary to $80,000.   Eager to prove his mediocre performance was the result of improper physical conditioning."

If you want pay to be yearly,  eliminate the reserve clause (of course a lot of guys would want a lot more money)

Offline mitlen

If you want pay to be yearly,  eliminate the reserve clause (of course a lot of guys would want a lot more money)

Think they've been there before.

Online HalfSmokes

Think they've been there before.

Not since the 1870s

Offline mitlen

Online HalfSmokes

1970  Curt Flood?

Lost in the supreme court

Offline mitlen

Lost in the supreme court

Damn Burger court.   :)

Offline Coladar

Yep why can't every team be like the Brewers,  signing the wrong guy long term while watching lee,  Sabathia. Fielder and Greinke pass through great FO

Lol. How many teams have made far worse sins?

Here's one for ya: How much has Jeffie Boy Loria given Marlins fans in compensation? A free mental and financial rape with every turn through the stiles? The Brewers did not need to do this, and should be commended for doing so.

Online HalfSmokes

Lol. How many teams have made far worse sins?

Here's one for ya: How much has Jeffie Boy Loria given Marlins fans in compensation? A free mental and financial rape with every turn through the stiles? The Brewers did not need to do this, and should be commended for doing so.

better than the worst owner? great

Offline Coladar

better than the worst owner? great

The point which you seem so set on arguing is that the ownership is, from my view, one of the best. Not just "better than the worst."

Your initial rebuke was to dismiss with issues the ownership largely did not have a hand in - those were primarily the GM's decisions. Show me another owner giving away ⅓ of $1million every game for a month as a "Sorry! We made a boo-boo." to their fanbase and I'll admit your unerring superiority and overall rightness.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
The point which you seem so set on arguing is that the ownership is, from my view, one of the best. Not just "better than the worst."

Your initial rebuke was to dismiss with issues the ownership largely did not have a hand in - those were primarily the GM's decisions. Show me another owner giving away ⅓ of $1million every game for a month as a "Sorry! We made a boo-boo." to their fanbase and I'll admit your unerring superiority and overall rightness.
Aren't the Brewers here (for the most part), just taking the money they don't have to pay Braun during his suspension, and allocating it to the fans as a giveback? Which the fans can only use to spend at the Stadium.

Offline mitlen

Aren't the Brewers here (for the most part), just taking the money they don't have to pay Braun during his suspension, and allocating it to the fans as a giveback? Which the fans can only use to spend at the Stadium.

+1

Offline TigerFan

I think Half Smokes' comment was talking about yours when you mentioned how bad Loria is.  He was saying wow the Lerners are better than the worst?!

Offline PC

It's 12:00 Bud.  The clock is ticking and you're not getting any younger.

Offline sportsfan882

Gio is clear :clap:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m
Colon, Grandal, Melky get no additional discipline. No violations found for #Nationals’ Gio Gonzalez. #Orioles’ Valencia. They are clear.