Author Topic: Nationals vs Cubs, Game 1  (Read 39737 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Nationals vs Cubs, Game 1
« Reply #1075: July 04, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »
Aren't you a vegetarian?  :P

'Shroom Burger :)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1076: July 04, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
Rodriguez has improved mostly by doing the two things he needed to do - trade some velocity on the heater for some control, and use his sick curve more often. Once he showed he could throw the curve for strikes, everything changed. He's been able to do that with regularity despite lacking some control otherwise. He's still too wild with the heater to be trusted as a closer, but used as a reliever, particularly to start an inning so that he doesn't have to come in with guys on base, he can be effective balancing the fastball with the curve. Once he gets ahead, he can let loose with the heat and the batter either swings at crap or gets bounced back. He just needed to hear from some vets that he needed to dial it back a notch to get control of his game. He's so much better than he was earlier in the season.

:clap: His hammer was devastating today. Also, he NAILED pudge with just a change and it looked like it was really painful.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #1077: July 04, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »
I just finished watching the game.  I left after the 3rd inning to see a movie.  I taped the game.  Bernadina sure had a lousy game.  Whatever we've seen out of Werth, he earned his pay today.  Number one, he has a great attitude.  No. two, his throw from right to get the runner at the plate was HUGE.  He's done that several times this year.  And third, his steal of 3rd base at the end of the game, won it for us!  Great game despite the lack of hits.  Zimmermann deserved better, however.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1078: July 04, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
I just finished watching the game.  I left after the 3rd inning to see a movie.  I taped the game.  Bernadina sure had a lousy game.  Whatever we've seen out of Werth, he earned his pay today.  Number one, he has a great attitude.  No. two, his throw from right to get the runner at the plate was HUGE.  He's done that several times this year.  And third, his steal of 3rd base at the end of the game, won it for us!  Great game despite the lack of hits.  Zimmermann deserved better, however.

Jeez that must have been one good movie :crazy: :lol:

Offline Fan037

« Reply #1079: July 04, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
The movie was "Midnight in Paris."  I recommend it highly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1080: July 04, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
I just finished watching the game.  I left after the 3rd inning to see a movie.  I taped the game.  Bernadina sure had a lousy game.  Whatever we've seen out of Werth, he earned his pay today.  Number one, he has a great attitude.  No. two, his throw from right to get the runner at the plate was HUGE.  He's done that several times this year.  And third, his steal of 3rd base at the end of the game, won it for us!  Great game despite the lack of hits.  Zimmermann deserved better, however.

Bernadina had a rough day, hope it was just a one game thing.

Werth was awesome.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1081: July 04, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
'Shroom Burger :)

Skip the burger part and I'm down with these:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1082: July 04, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
By the way, the move of Nix to 1st was surprising and a good idea.

Offline PC

« Reply #1083: July 04, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
By the way, the move of Nix to 1st was surprising and a good idea.

No it wasn't.  It was necessary.  Stairs injured his knee.  

The terrible part is they're going to try it again tomorrow and not call up someone from AAA.  Every bad roster move that can be made, Rizzo will make.   >:(

...and Nix is already injured. That makes it even worse!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1084: July 04, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »
No it wasn't.  It was necessary.  Stairs injured his knee. 

The terrible part is they're going to try it again tomorrow and not call up someone from AAA.  Every bad roster move that can be made, Rizzo will make.   >:(

...and Nix is already injured. That makes it even worse!

60-day DL for Stairs. They didn't announce it at the game, didn't know he was hurt.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1085: July 04, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
Stairs is injured?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #1086: July 04, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
Stairs is injured?
Apparently.  Didn't realize it at the time.  If they're putting him on the 60-day, that means they have to call up someone, doesn't it?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1087: July 04, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »
Apparently.  Didn't realize it at the time.  If they're putting him on the 60-day, that means they have to call up someone, doesn't it?

Sorry, I was recommending the 60-day for sucking. They aren't going to DL him yet is what PC said.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1088: July 04, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
Skip the burger part and I'm down with these:

Get some of those down to the bullpen quick.  We need more acid rock back at the park.  What happened to Fairies Wear Boots and Hendrix?

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #1089: July 04, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
Awesome idea! Why not write it in to Feffer.

I will.  Does anyone have his email address?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1090: July 04, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
I will.  Does anyone have his email address?

D_Bag@nats.com?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1091: July 04, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »
HRod was awesome today.  I remember him throwing balls for the hitter to chase after he had them 0-1 and 0-2.  Nothing at all wrong with that.  I feel like sometimes people are looking for things to pounce on as indications of someone sucking. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #1092: July 04, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
5th best home record in the majors. Crazy.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1093: July 05, 2011, 06:32:27 AM »
I feel like sometimes people are looking for things to pounce on as indications of someone sucking.

The problem with HRod is he kind of sucks you in with a couple of lights out innings where he looks really good and then has an appearance where he uncorks consecutive wild pitches, walks the bases loaded and has to be relieved.  He's looking better but he's still not someone I'd want to call in to pitch in anything other than garbage time.  To be fair though, if he gets the control working that could certainly change and would be great for the team to have a fireballer in the pen.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #1094: July 05, 2011, 08:09:35 AM »
HRod was awesome today.  I remember him throwing balls for the hitter to chase after he had them 0-1 and 0-2.  Nothing at all wrong with that.  I feel like sometimes people are looking for things to pounce on as indications of someone sucking. 
Remember a few days ago when he allowed in two or three runs because of of his wildness, including (IIRC) walking in a run?  His ERA stayed sparkling clean but the rns stil scored..  This is not the first time that's happened.  Between that and his peripherals, I don't think H-Rod is especially deserving of too much trust, despite his great stuff.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1095: July 05, 2011, 08:27:34 AM »
I'm not ready to nominate him for a Cy Young or anything.  He had a good game yesterday but he still has bouts of wildness. 

The Cubs closer that lost the game for them yesterday is actually really similar - basically unhittable but wild at times.  To me, HRod's delivery looks a lot more repeatable than Marmol's, so HRod's issues may be fixable.  But even if not, he's a useful reliever.  For now, I totally agree that I don't trust him in high leverage situations.  The Cubs only made Marmol the closer last year or the year before.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1096: July 05, 2011, 08:29:31 AM »
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marmoca01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrihe03.shtml

Here are the two players' stats for reference.  HRod has a ways to go, but he's not garbage/worthless/AAAA/whatever else he's been called.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1097: July 05, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »
I'm not ready to nominate him for a Cy Young or anything.  He had a good game yesterday but he still has bouts of wildness. 

The Cubs closer that lost the game for them yesterday is actually really similar - basically unhittable but wild at times.  To me, HRod's delivery looks a lot more repeatable than Marmol's, so HRod's issues may be fixable.  But even if not, he's a useful reliever.  For now, I totally agree that I don't trust him in high leverage situations.  The Cubs only made Marmol the closer last year or the year before.

That was Marmol's first wild pitch of the season.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #1098: July 05, 2011, 08:31:34 AM »
Marmol's also been much, much worse this year.  Last year he was  essentially unhittable.  This year he's just very good.

Offline blue911

« Reply #1099: July 05, 2011, 08:36:26 AM »
Marmol's also been much, much worse this year.  Last year he was  essentially unhittable.  This year he's just very good.

Marmol throws in the mid 90's no where near the velocity of Rodriguez. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Marmol's success is directly tied to one pitch,his slider. Rodriguez actually has a nice breaking ball (Slider/curve/slurve... whatever) to go along with the 98-100 heater.