Author Topic: Angelos finally gets it? O's add to solid offseason and pick up Vlad  (Read 3160 times)

Offline hammondsnats

This would mean they are finishing second or first, because there's a lot of people who think the Jays are finishing 3d. 

I think the Os were bidding against themselves or paying a loser premium to have to pay Vladi $8MM to DH when Manny was signing for $2MM and Damon $5MM. 

I am not sold on Reynolds at all.  If Jose Bautista plays 3d, he is probably the worst offensive 3b in the division.  Lee is what Lee is.  Not saying he's bad, but there is a reason he and LaRoche were mentioned in the same breath, well after Dunn, Huff, Martinez, and a some others. Hardy has gone a couple years since he was a plus offensive player, but he deserves credit for his D.

I kind of hope McPhail looks to move Pie now for something.  I don't think there's a great match between the Nats and Os, but I would give him a shot at LF/CF here.

pie = bernadina, i would say.  but we have two OF holes, they have none.

Offline hammondsnats

O's payroll went from $73 million (2010) to $93 million (2011).

Can only dream of us spending that much one day  :bang: :doh: :hang: :rant: :nono: :smh:

:money: :money: :money: :money: :money: :money:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Go drink a Natty Boh in Fells Point and then soak your head in the Inner Harbor, then finally admit that you are a fan of the Orioles.

Offline hammondsnats

Go drink a Natty Boh in Fells Point and then soak your head in the Inner Harbor, then finally admit that you are a fan of the Orioles.

no.  i'm a nats fan.  but i can be critical of the team.  i find it funny that some on here have no problem ripping snyder/angelos/al davis, wizards/mets/etc ... but the same people get all bent out of shape when negative comments are made about lerner/nats/etc.

just sayin.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
I cannot find fault with any of Baltimore's moves this offseason. They did a very good job and, assuming their rotation can develop quickly enough, they could be very competitive in the AL East, which, in my opinion, isn't quite as strong as it was last year. Boston has improved greatly, but New York, Tampa, and Toronto all appear to be lesser teams than they were last season.

*EDIT* Actually, Toronto is probably better than they were last season.

Offline houston-nat

This would mean they are finishing second or first, because there's a lot of people who think the Jays are finishing 3d. 

The Jays are a more complete team than they've been in years and years - although the whole Yankees Sox Rays logjam is still present. Do the Jays have enough to pass Tampa Bay? ...looking at their roster, it's more possible than I thought.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
no.  i'm a nats fan.  but i can be critical of the team.  i find it funny that some on here have no problem ripping snyder/angelos/al davis, wizards/mets/etc ... but the same people get all bent out of shape when negative comments are made about lerner/nats/etc.

just sayin.

You know why that is for at least one person here. Of course he has the "sanity pack" to back him up.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
The O's had a nice off-season and will sell some more tickets with an exciting lineup. Long-term I'm not sure how much better they will be based on this off-season. I wouldn't trade places with them.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
O's had a great offseason. Not sure how much longer the player they got can perform, though.

Vlad is nothing. He costs nothing. The O's got spare parts and retreads and are headed right for last place.

I think they might finish better than last, fourth, maybe even third in the AL East, but that organization hasn't proved a damn thing for almost 13/14 seasons other than they hold no water in the AL East. Vlad will sell a few players t-shirts and knock a few out of the yard, but he is probably one injury away from retirement and the rest of the team needs to fulfill a lot of "ifs" to even begin to compete.

I predict a fast start out of the gate and an eventual mid-season decline and a finish of third or fourth in the AL East. I'm sure that will be enough to send those Warehouse Watchers into a frenzy.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
The O's are trying to put a competitive product on the field this year instead of trudging along until position players like Machado, Hoes, and Avery are ready in a few years, and in doing so, they have shown a willingness to spend money. I can't complain about any of that.

Offline PANatsFan

The O's are trying to put a competitive product on the field this year instead of trudging along until position players like Machado, Hoes, and Avery are ready in a few years, and in doing so, they have shown a willingness to spend money. I can't complain about any of that.

Vlad's got 3 million deferred for "several" years. AIC.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Vlad's got 3 million deferred for "several" years. AIC.
So? I think that was a good deal.

Offline PANatsFan

So? I think that was a good deal.

Vlad was darn lucky to get the deal, but they payroll did not jump $20 million, it jumped $17. If the Nats get no credit for bonuses than the O's surely don't get credit for deferred money.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
If the Nats get no credit for bonuses than the O's surely don't get credit for deferred money.

:?

Offline PANatsFan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Sorry, then

That was not the purpose of my  :?  Really, it was to point out that I disagee with your equating bonuses (speculative) vs. deferred (certain).  They do not equate.

Deferred money is certain to be paid, so it must be counted against current year spending obligation.  

You could take the bonuses and probability weight them - for example, Zimm getting 500 ab's is probably 80% likely ($75k bonus) but Marquis making the all-star team might only be a 5% probability.  

In this way you could have an estimate that we could argue about, but until someone does the homework, we're all wasting our time.

Offline PANatsFan

Ok, then let's factor in deflation and the interest for the bonus to be paid in 2017 or whatever. Angelos is betting that he'll have a better team down the road and is spending that money to not get embarrassed in 2011. That's a good start, but it's not the same as spending it all now.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ok, then let's factor in deflation and the interest for the bonus to be paid in 2017 or whatever. Angelos is betting that he'll have a better team down the road and is spending that money to not get embarrassed in 2011. That's a good start, but it's not the same as spending it all now.

What Angelos should do is invest the $3m with Madoff, pocket the profits in the meantime and payoff the deferred comp when due.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
What Angelos should do is invest the $3m with Madoff, pocket the profits in the meantime and payoff the deferred comp when due.
new housing construction in nevada or florida.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Vlad was darn lucky to get the deal, but they payroll did not jump $20 million, it jumped $17. If the Nats get no credit for bonuses than the O's surely don't get credit for deferred money.

:lmao:   You want to include bonuses for the purpose of inflating the Nats payroll and defend the indefensibly cheap Lerners. If you do that for all teams the Nats payroll would probably be proportionally dwarfed even further but you want to include in OD payroll ONLY the Nats bonuses to support your agenda.

You're nagging about Baltimore's payroll going up ONLY 17 million yet you defend the Lerners' payroll going up how much?

This reminds me of the year they got Javey Lopez. Some of them ordered their playoff tickets before Opening Day.

Offline sportsfan882

The O's don't have crap. Signed a bunch of castoffs and bums. 5th place Guaranteed. Even if everything breaks right, 4th place is their peak over the Jays.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
The O's don't have crap. Signed a bunch of castoffs and bums. 5th place Guaranteed. Even if everything breaks right, 4th place is their peak over the Jays.

I actually think they'll be battling the Rays for 4th/5th.

Offline sportsfan882

No way. Rays win 80 games without trying. Good rotation