Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16105 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #75: October 23, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »
What's "regular mileage" for you?

I took off a couple of weeks to give the old hips a rest (plus vacation time on the bike).    I'm back to my "short route" and hope to hit the regular mileage before the end of the month.   It felt good today.   Best time of year to run imho.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #76: October 23, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
What's "regular mileage" for you?

At 63, it depends how I feel.    3 to 6 miles usually.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #77: October 23, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
I hope I can still pull that off in another 10 years.
At 63, it depends how I feel.    3 to 6 miles usually.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #78: October 23, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
Looks like I'm out of commission (running, weight lifting, elliptical) for at least two weeks.  Between this damn crud (thank you flu shot), hurting my back packing, and moving I'm not going to have the energy, ability, or time to get the gym in.  Guess I'll have to hit it hard once I'm back to normal.  Boo.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #79: October 23, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »
I had my flu shot 2 wks ago.  No problem!

Offline eckseid

« Reply #80: October 23, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
I'm working on push ups and sit ups and these 2 programs are now kicking my ass. Also, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow on week 4 of C25K program.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #81: October 24, 2011, 08:40:30 AM »
Groupon discount today is the Running Store in Gainesville, VA - $50 gift card for $25.00

http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-running-store-2

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #82: October 24, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »
I wish I could run :|

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #83: October 24, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »
While I followed my own version of C25K to get to running, I think there is a flaw in the program. I found, and still find, that is, 50% of the discomfort in running a mile is in the first quarter mile, which I don't think you get to for several weeks.

I'd go as far as to say that 50% of the discomfort in running 5K is in the first 1K. *Starting* a run - until you get your stride, heart rate, and breathing to the right place is the hard part. At least to me. You won't get the reward in C25K until you are three quarters of the way through it (the reward being that sweet spot where you're breathing free and your legs are just sort of spinning under you).

I'm working on push ups and sit ups and these 2 programs are now kicking my ass. Also, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow on week 4 of C25K program.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #84: October 24, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
While I followed my own version of C25K to get to running, I think there is a flaw in the program. I found, and still find, that is, 50% of the discomfort in running a mile is in the first quarter mile, which I don't think you get to for several weeks.

I'd go as far as to say that 50% of the discomfort in running 5K is in the first 1K. *Starting* a run - until you get your stride, heart rate, and breathing to the right place is the hard part. At least to me. You won't get the reward in C25K until you are three quarters of the way through it (the reward being that sweet spot where you're breathing free and your legs are just sort of spinning under you).

Well, the program seems to be working out pretty good. Just finished day 1 of week 4. It hurts, but once I'm home, I feel great. The breathing, heart rate and stride will come @ some point, but I only have a couple months to prepare myself if I get into the academy. They really don't care if you have those three things down either. Like I said, so far so good on the program.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #85: October 24, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
Ha ha. No, I guess they don't. And I'm not sure that there's any other way to get there. And you're younger than me, so the discomfort of getting started might not be the same for you as it is for me.

Well, the program seems to be working out pretty good. Just finished day 1 of week 4. It hurts, but once I'm home, I feel great. The breathing, heart rate and stride will come @ some point, but I only have a couple months to prepare myself if I get into the academy. They really don't care if you have those three things down either. Like I said, so far so good on the program.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #86: November 04, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »
does anyone have any experience with vivo shoes- I was going to get a pair of vibrams, but my wife refuses to run or walk with me if I do

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #87: November 04, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
Should you decide to buy a pair at the terra plana web site, try the code VBHALLOWEEN30. It may still be good for 30% off. You have to sign up for an account at terraplana.com for it to work (that's Vivo's parent company).

I very nearly bought a pair of NEOs, but I was afraid of the sizing. I hate buying shoes over the internet. It's so expensive to ship/return/ship (Zappos.com has them, and they ship for free, but they are expensive without a discount).

As barefooting season is coming to an end, I need something. I tried on the very good looking Merrells, but didn't like the feel under foot. Everyone else sure raves about them, though.

The New Balance MT20s are a good transitional shoe. Only a 4mm heel lift. In the Spring, they are coming out with their zero lift shoe. That may be the way I go.

does anyone have any experience with vivo shoes- I was going to get a pair of vibrams, but my wife refuses to run or walk with me if I do

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: November 04, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
Moosejaw has them on sale, still high, but I have a gift card do price isn't too much of an issue

Offline heeman82

« Reply #89: November 04, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »
Physical fitness test for work at 7am tomorrow.  Part of it is 300 meter sprint and then 1.5-mile run.  Piece of cake.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #90: November 04, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »
Physical fitness test for work at 7am tomorrow.  Part of it is 300 meter sprint and then 1.5-mile run.  Piece of cake.

I need to work where you do.  I've gotten so out of shape after not working out for two weeks.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #91: November 05, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »

1.5 miles ... can do (no problem).    300 sprint?    I'm afraid it would kill me (LOL).    I would have flashbacks of the 440 in high school.   The 440 yard is the toughest race in track and field.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #92: November 05, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
I need to work where you do.  I've gotten so out of shape after not working out for two weeks.

BTW ...  the older you get, the time frame will lessen.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #93: November 05, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
Oh, man, that's a good price... and free shipping.
Moosejaw has them on sale, still high, but I have a gift card do price isn't too much of an issue

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #94: November 05, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
Are you working into running in these? Go slow. It's *really* different running in shoes with no heels (or barefoot).

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #95: November 06, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »
Looks like this gout attack is finally done. Time to get back in the gym this week. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #96: November 06, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Are you working into running in these? Go slow. It's *really* different running in shoes with no heels (or barefoot).

I want to start- I have flat feet and barefoot is supposed to help

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #97: November 06, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
Start slow. Run in place in your living room for five minutes a day. That'll get striking on your mid-foot. There are lots of good resources out there, among them barefootrunninguniversity.com (that's Jason Robillard's site, where you can download a PDF of his very good book for free). There is a two-part blog post on http://runbarefooteurope.blogspot.com (Teach your Boss to Run Barefoot parts 1 and 2) that sums up some of the most important points that it's taken me eight months to come to realize on my own (cadence being the most important).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #98: November 06, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »

For the first 3 or 4 months, I walked 2 miles every evening.   One day, I ran about 100 yards and almost fell out.    Now I can do several miles (even and non-life threatening pace) with no problem.   Trust your body.   It'll tell you how you're doing.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #99: November 06, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
So...

How do you guys run during the week this time of year with so little light? I'm going to be heading into work early and ducking out early a couple times a week. I might be switching jobs sometime relatively soon so that could throw a wrench in my running schedule.