Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88105 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
heyman says Grienke is available.  I wonder what it would take to get him?  Hague/Frietas plus Rosenbaum?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
That sounds a little low.  Best comparable recently mid season would be Lee (and Mark Lowe) to the Rangers, I think.  Smoak was a starting 1b called up that year and highly regarded, Blake Beavan was a 21 year old AA arm regarded as as #4 starter innings eater, Josh Leuke, and a mystery 2d baseman. 

Per BA:
Holding the most coveted trade chip at this year's deadline, the Mariners cashed in lefthander Cliff Lee a little early, sending him to the Rangers for young first baseman Justin Smoak and three prospects. Texas also receives 27-year-old reliever Mark Lowe, a righthander (and University of Texas-Arlington product) who is slated to miss the rest of the season after having back surgery.

Also headed to Seattle are a trio of players from the Double-A Frisco roster: righthanders Blake Beavan, a Rangers' first-round pick in 2007, and Josh Lueke as well as second baseman Matt Lawson. The Mariners also furnished the Rangers with approximately $2.5 million to help the financially-strapped club cover the remainder of Lee's $8 million salary, which works out to roughly $4.2 million.

I think in 2008 there was the CC trade to the Brewers.  what you need is one high minors / major league well regarded lock (LaPorta, Smoak), and at least one other likely major league rotation piece (Beavan) or prospect with upside (Brantley), plus some other pieces who might play (Leuke, Zach Jackson).

Just a guess - Rosenbaum would be the Beavan piece, Espinosa or Lombo would be the regular / prospect, then add something who might be a contributor.

Offline HalfSmokes

Now that you dont get the comp pick, the compatibles have to be lowered, i.e the rangers got Lee plus a first rounder and a sandwich pick, this year a team will just get Greinke

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
and Lowe, who has come back to be a good MR. 

Maybe the deal gets done with Lombo and Rosenbaum, but that seems a bit short to me.  Given that Marcum as well as Greinke have expiring contracts, and maybe another starter too, perhaps it is cost-controlled quantity of arms they would want? 

Offline HalfSmokes

I think the quantity vs quality thing depends on where the brewers feel they are- with prince and now Greinke leaving, are they thinking rebuild, or do they look at Braun in his prime and try to stay competitive

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
My first thought was Detwiler, who is cost controlled and somewhat established. 

Offline hammondsnats

whatever they'd want for greinke

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
My first thought was Detwiler, who is cost controlled and somewhat established. 

I'd do Lombo and Rosenbaum.  Hood is another guy who could be traded since we already have the corner outfield spots taken for the foreseeable future.

Offline Mattionals

Im suprised that we don't have a thread about this already.  Obvious concerns are offense and maybe a starting pitcher.

I had a thought that we might be able to flip LaRoche and deal for CarGo.  Do we still look for a leadoff CF?  A leadoff 2B?  Discuss....

Offline hammondsnats

i think we do, we just have 18,023 similar threads just labeled with different titles. 

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
A bat! A bat!  Lerner's kingdom for a bat!

Offline hammondsnats

But yeah we could use another bat.

Offline Mattionals

i think we do, we just have 18,023 similar threads just labeled with different titles.

It's way too hard to go through "worst offense ever" and "fire Rick eckstein" and all the other gems to grab out a bunch of posts.  That is unless someone wants to condense it all.....

Hint hint.

Offline hammondsnats

It's way too hard to go through "worst offense ever" and "fire Rick eckstein" and all the other gems to grab out a bunch of posts.  That is unless someone wants to condense it all.....

Hint hint.

Just giving you a hard time.  We do need bat.  I would love nabbing Greinke if we could.

Offline houston-nat

If we flipped a couple expendable guys - LaRoche does come to mind - I'd want to gun for CarGo and hard. Too bad we didn't get him for Chad Cordero in 2007. If we did that, I'd sign Greinke or EJax in the offseason and feel darn good.

Offline Mattionals

My guess is that we should flip LaRoche, and I think Danny + pitching puts us in the CarGo market.  I would hate to see Alex Meyer go, but him Rosenbaum and maybe a reliever would give us CarGo.  This would be putting Lombo at 2nd leading off (I know he cooled off, but he is a rookie so he needs time to adjust now that the league adjusted to him) with some combo of Werth/Harper/CarGo/Morse and Zim(when healthy) to go 2-6.  Desmond would be the best 7-hole hitter in the league and Ramos provides some power in the 8 spot.  Keep Moore on the bench another year and when Morse walks in his contract year, place Moore at 1st.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Espinosa will definitely bring back a bat. The team that gets him will probably throw in a couple of baseballs too.

Offline houston-nat

The only part of the plan I really dislike is that trading LaRoche is trading from weakness rather than strength.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Posts #24 - #31 in the "Non-Nats Trade Watch" thread in the Out of Town Scorebooard really are about Greinke to the Nats speculation.  Move?
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=26977.0

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
Honestly I'd rather see us go after a pitcher and a bench bat then go after a guy like Cargo. I'd defiantly be worried about trading more of our pitching depth to grab someone. We lost 3 of our best pitchers this off-season and we will eventually need a long term answer for our 4th and 5th spots plus some AAA depth. I'd like us to talk to the Cubs to see what Ryan Dempster and Reed Johnson would cost us.

Edit:: of coarse I'd love to grab CarGo is we were sure that we could resign him. Maybe go with Espinosa+Rosenbaum+H-Rod+ Hood

Offline hammondsnats

MINNEAPOLIS -- If nothing else, Francisco Liriano's recent resurgence appears to have teams curious as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline looms.

The Atlanta Braves and Washington Nationals were among teams in attendance at Target Field scouting the Minnesota Twins in Monday night's win over the White Sox -- a win in which Liriano allowed only one run in seven innings, marking his longest outing since Aug. 20 of last season.

Atlanta, which entered Tuesday 3.5 games behind Washington in the National League East, was said to be paying close attention to Liriano, and it's presumed the Nationals were paying close attention to Denard Span and possibly others.

The Twins and Nationals discussed a possible Span trade prior to last year's deadline, and the Braves are among several teams potentially looking to add pitching.

Span entered Tuesday hitting .278/.343/.389 with three home runs, 19 doubles and seven stolen bases. He is under contract for $3 million this year, $4.75 million in 2013 and $6.5 million in 2014, plus a $9 million team option for 2015.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Teams_scouting_Francisco_Liriano_Carl_Pavano_not_close062612

Offline hammondsnats

i'd take liriano and span :az:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
If we flipped a couple expendable guys - LaRoche does come to mind - I'd want to gun for CarGo and hard. Too bad we didn't get him for Chad Cordero in 2007. If we did that, I'd sign Greinke or EJax in the offseason and feel darn good.

You might wanna take a look at CarGo's home/away splits before trading. Coors is giving him a ton of love

Offline UMDNats

The hard-on this board has for Denard Span is something I'll never understand.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The hard-on this board has for Denard Span is something I'll never understand.

White whale, bro.

Hits for average, great OBP, plays fantastic defense in center.