Poll

Management: In the Offseason, What do you want the New Owners to do MOST?

Re-Hire Tony Tavares
0 (0%)
Re-Hire Frank Robinson
0 (0%)
Re-Hire Jim Bowden
0 (0%)
Bring Em All Back!
1 (6.7%)
Let Tony Tavares Walk
1 (6.7%)
Let Frank Robinson Walk. Retire Old Man!
3 (20%)
Let Jim Bowden Walk.  Back to Cold Pizza!
3 (20%)
To Hell with them, get them ALL outta here!
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: September 13, 2005, 09:20:48 PM

Author Topic: Poll: What do you want the New Owners to do?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Poll: What do you want the New Owners to do?
« Topic Start: September 13, 2005, 09:20:48 PM »
Once this season ends we have Vacancies in the Manager, General Manager and Team President Positions.

What course of Action do you want the new Owners to take here?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1: September 14, 2005, 09:24:16 AM »
I know there is some popular opinion out there about getting Brain Cashman. I really dont kow what he has done to prove he can be a successful GM, aside from that he can take heat.  He has operated with an unlimited payroll, and done what Steinbrenner has wanted him to do.  All he does is sign people.  Thats not hard.  What good trade has he made? A-Rod.  That was Georges call that only came about to spite the Red Sox.  The only other big trade I can think of is the Javier Vazquez trade  which didnt really work out.

He depleted their farm system.  The guys who have shown up this year, Cano and Wang, are the aberration.  And most give that credit to their Scouting Director Gene Michael, who used to be the GM.

I just want to say that the grass is always greener on the other side.  A change in the management could set the organization back 3 years to implement their scheme.  So give Bowden and/or Frank another year to see what they can do with some money.  I think Bowden should stay on, and Frank too, if they can work together. Which doesnt really seem to be the case. If they cant, then keep Bowden.

Tavares just seems to be a doosh

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: September 14, 2005, 09:30:36 AM »
Hey Dave, why don't you like Tavares?

They had to put together everything this year from scratch, with a limited budget, and not enough time.  I thought they did a great job assembling the organization given the uphill climb.  

I mean, I got my opening day tickets in time, though I was sweating it for a while!

It had to be twice as much work as in a normal year at a normal team, and they had about half as much time to do it in.  I think he's earned the right to have at least another year to take the whole operation to the next level.

I liked Bowden until he squandered Sunny Kim, but I'm thinking several of his moves were to placate Frank, who is probably the main cause of our starting pitching shortfall.

C'mon, you guys all thought Bowden was a genius when he claimed Drese and traded Ohka for Spivey!  Can't blame him for the subsequent injuries.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Poll: What do you want the New Owners to do?
« Reply #3: September 14, 2005, 09:32:25 AM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Once this season ends we have Vacancies in the Manager, General Manager and Team President Positions.

It would be better if I could choose multiple answers in the poll.

What if I want to keep Bowden and Tavares, but let FR go?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: September 14, 2005, 11:18:49 AM »
I think taveras could have tried to get more out of MLB, money-wise. Maybe he did and they told him to f-off, I really dont kow. It was the whole september call up thing, where the budget only allowed for zimmerman to be called up. Then, more were allowed to come 3 or 4 days later.  They wouldnt have come if the meda didnt call them on it. Those 3 or 4 days couldnt have been a matter of more than tens of thousands of dollars.  They are not operating on that thin of a margin. The plan was "only zimmerman" then "oh no, they will be here in 3 days".  Over the course of a month, there might have been some savings, still marginal compared to nats profits and budget for a whole season.

As i write this, I realize I dont know what went on behind the scenes. Maybe Tavares fought for money, maybe he didnt.

Fact of the matter next year Tavares or whoever will not have to beg for money from owners who dont care, and his job is less pivotal.

So fine, he can stay, as I guess he was good at getting tickets printed and stuff like that.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Poll: What do you want the New Owners to do?
« Reply #5: September 14, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"

It would be better if I could choose multiple answers in the poll.

What if I want to keep Bowden and Tavares, but let FR go?

heh, I'm  not sure how to enable that option.

Chief?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: September 14, 2005, 04:46:11 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
I think taveras could have tried to get more out of MLB, money-wise. Maybe he did and they told him to f-off, I really dont kow. It was the whole september call up thing, where the budget only allowed for zimmerman to be called up. Then, more were allowed to come 3 or 4 days later.  They wouldnt have come if the meda didnt call them on it. Those 3 or 4 days couldnt have been a matter of more than tens of thousands of dollars.  They are not operating on that thin of a margin. The plan was "only zimmerman" then "oh no, they will be here in 3 days".  Over the course of a month, there might have been some savings, still marginal compared to nats profits and budget for a whole season.

As i write this, I realize I dont know what went on behind the scenes. Maybe Tavares fought for money, maybe he didnt.

Fact of the matter next year Tavares or whoever will not have to beg for money from owners who dont care, and his job is less pivotal.

So fine, he can stay, as I guess he was good at getting tickets printed and stuff like that.

Dave, you've got good points, I had already almost forgotten about the call-ups fiasco.  But you're also right in that we really don't know what was going on behind the scenes.  I wish Feinstein was living with the team for the year, to write a book on this unbelievable Nats season, instead of hanging round with the stinkin' Ravens.  Then we'd maybe understand what must be a pretty interesting dynamic among the big 3.

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #7: September 14, 2005, 05:18:03 PM »
What do I want the Nats owner to do? Plain and Simple get us a World Series Title!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8: September 15, 2005, 08:57:11 AM »
Svrluga's writing a book.  Unless you feel that Feinstein could do a better job. I dont have an opinion on the matter. But I think there is a mentor/pupil relationship between the two. Both went to Duke and I think Feinstein taught one of Barry's classes

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: September 15, 2005, 10:58:50 AM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Svrluga's writing a book.  Unless you feel that Feinstein could do a better job. I dont have an opinion on the matter. But I think there is a mentor/pupil relationship between the two. Both went to Duke and I think Feinstein taught one of Barry's classes

I've read a few of Feinstein's books, really enjoyed them.  Don't know how Svrluga will do, but I'm sure the attendance figures quoted will be the "announced" attendance when at home, and just the "attendance" when away.

Nonetheless, that's one I've got to buy.

hillnat

« Reply #10: September 15, 2005, 12:36:21 PM »
Start new in the front ofice and on field management.  I wouldnt rehire many of the low level front office employes. After a year of mismanagement by mlb the4re will be a lot of bad habits and frustration in the offices. It may sound harsh but fire them too and start fresh.