Author Topic: Strasburg debut tentatively set for June 8-10 against pitt  (Read 9413 times)

Offline hammondsnats

check the farm

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
:lmao:  If this is true then we know that they've already sold enough tickets to the Reds series and are trying to get people to buy tickets to the Pittsburgh series.

Offline UMDNats

:lmao:  If this is true then we know that they've already sold enough tickets to the Reds series and are trying to get people to buy tickets to the Pittsburgh series.

theyll prob keep pushing it back until the next time we play the phillies so stan can keep them happy

Offline spidernat

theyll prob keep pushing it back until the next time we play the phillies so stan can keep them happy

Let's face it, the odds are that they already know exactly when he will debut so why do this crap if not to get people to buy tickets?

Offline RL04

Well, the funny thing is I bought tix to Friday's Reds game when the season started because it fit my schedule the best.
I had no idea (at the time) when Stras was going to come up.
I wonder how many tickets they sold.
And I wonder if a lot of people will not show.

I'm still going of course.
I hope traffic is not a 100 times worse than last time.

Offline Zilla05

Let's face it, the odds are that they already know exactly when he will debut so why do this crap if not to get people to buy tickets?

If they would have come out and said "It's probably not going to be June 4th," and left it at that, I wouldn't have a huge problem with it. However, having Ladson leak it's ONE of the Pittsburgh games (not being specific which one) and then denying the 4th after the game sells out, that's pretty bush league.

Perhaps they can try to keep him in Syracuse and rumor to call him up, it's almost as effective as him actually pitching.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
What day lines up best?

Offline Zilla05

What day lines up best?

No way he throws Thursday the 3rd in Buffalo, they'd push him back to the 4th, a home date vs. Durham.

Meaning, odds are it's going to be the 10th.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
What day lines up best?

June 9th is a value game so that one is out. 

Offline spidernat

If they would have come out and said "It's probably not going to be June 4th," and left it at that, I wouldn't have a huge problem with it. However, having Ladson leak it's ONE of the Pittsburgh games (not being specific which one) and then denying the 4th after the game sells out, that's pretty bush league.

Perhaps they can try to keep him in Syracuse and rumor to call him up, it's almost as effective as him actually pitching.

I am not completely ruling out the 4th or 5th. This leak may be just a ploy to sell tickets for the Pirates series (since he will pitch then anyway it just won't be his first) on the probability that it will be his first. Once this accomplishes the desired effect, selling tons of tickets to the Pirates games, I don't dismiss the possibility that they will say sometime early next week that they have decided there is no need for him to remain in Syracuse and that he will debut against the Reds.

Offline Dave B

wow. they did basically sell out for the 4th. i was wrong. thought they might get 35k or so. only singles available

might as well get two sellouts. ballpark district tax revenue baby. need that crap after the h street-benning rd streetcars were almost cut out of the budget today

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Pirates? I guess management is trying to guarantee that he will get a win in his first start.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
June 9th is a value game so that one is out. 

Value game tickets cost between $1-5 less than regular priced games, but you can still buy cheaper seats to any game by using coupon code STH2010.

Offline Zilla05

I am not completely ruling out the 4th or 5th. This leak may be just a ploy to sell tickets for the Pirates series (since he will pitch then anyway it just won't be his first) on the probability that it will be his first. Once this accomplishes the desired effect, selling tons of tickets to the Pirates games, I don't dismiss the possibility that they will say sometime early next week that they have decided there is no need for him to remain in Syracuse and that he will debut against the Reds.

I wouldn't rule that out either. Ladson tweeted the Pirates post, then quickly said nothing's been decided.

Honestly, is there anything he needs to accomplish at AAA now that his Super Two date is gone?

Perhaps they can send him to Potomac to give the P-Nats a sellout too.

Offline spidernat

Value game tickets cost between $1-5 less than regular priced games, but you can still buy cheaper seats to any game by using coupon code STH2010.

Even more reason why this could be bullcrap and just a ploy to sell tickets to a series that would otherwise sell low. He may still pitch one of those games but it may not be the first game. It makes too much sense to have him pitch on the 4th or 5th to maximize his home starts.

Offline Zilla05

Even more reason why this could be bullcrap and just a ploy to sell tickets to a series that would otherwise sell low. He may still pitch one of those games but it may not be the first game. It makes too much sense to have him pitch on the 4th or 5th to maximize his home starts.

Riggleman countered Ladson's report saying there would be four or five days notice before he comes up, saying there likely will be no notice. Kind of blows a hole in this whole report and leaves it back at square one.

http://www.csnwashington.com/05/26/10/Zuckerman-Strasburg-Debut-Shrouded-In-My/landing_nationals.html?blockID=242045&feedID=280

Offline shabba

There may be other reasons

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
There may be other reasons

There is a good reason.  Probably, they haven't decided what pitcher should be the one to be sent down when they bring up Strasburg, and a premature announcement would possibly commit them to a choice, and the affected player would be served notice.  Not especially good for morale, to be told your being replaced, but by the way, go out there and give it your best, even if it isn't going to save your ass from being sent down.    :?

The Stammen / Atilano debate is far from settled, and Olsen needs to show he's got something left in that shoulder.  All three are candidates.   

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
This way the Reds and Pirates have to sweat over it.

Offline hammondsnats

TT, i understand what you're saying, but if that's the case ... then whoever pitches better the next two turns (atilano or stammen) will remain.  and if martin/chico get called up one of them can be sent down right after their start on saturday and strasburg can take their place in the rotation.

Offline spidernat

There is a good reason.  Probably, they haven't decided what pitcher should be the one to be sent down when they bring up Strasburg, and a premature announcement would possibly commit them to a choice, and the affected player would be served notice.  Not especially good for morale, to be told your being replaced, but by the way, go out there and give it your best, even if it isn't going to save your ass from being sent down.    :?

The Stammen / Atilano debate is far from settled, and Olsen needs to show he's got something left in that shoulder.  All three are candidates.   

:lmao:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
TT, i understand what you're saying, but if that's the case ... then whoever pitches better the next two turns (atilano or stammen) will remain.  and if martin/chico get called up one of them can be sent down right after their start on saturday and strasburg can take their place in the rotation.

I'm not saying I know that for sure, but doesn't it make sense that the Stammen / Atilano battle remains unresolved?  All you guys who thought Stammen was a lock, have been very quiet since he also laid a big egg in his last outing.  Neither one is distinguishing himself lately.  And Olsen's injury situation is another wild card.  Just a lot of balls in the air, why commit to a decision prematurely?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
masnBen    Riggleman (cont'd): "...but there are too many reasons not to announce it." Talked about starter who is affected by #Strasburg call-up date.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter