Author Topic: Strasburg debut tentatively set for June 8-10 against pitt  (Read 9502 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Here's a question... If he's not coming up 'til the Pirates, why did he get pulled after 52 pitches?

All the journalists are too busy blaming Strasburg's promotion on financial reasons and trying to figure out the advantage of being ahead in the count to give us that answer.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Here's a question... If he's not coming up 'til the Pirates, why did he get pulled after 52 pitches?

Because he has an innings limit overall for the year.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

The guys calling the game on TV said that not all pitches had the same value, pitches thrown in "stressful" situations were weighted more heavily,
I don't have any more detail than that, just passing along their comment.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I heard that, and it makes sense but I would have preferred to read a quote from a Nationals official. I didn't get home in time to see him pitch, but how high stress can 52 pitches over 5 innings be?

It's also interesting that they pull him on a day where he supposedly didn't have his best stuff. Every pitcher has days like that and how pitchers adjust on off days separates good and great pitchers. It seems like a better learning opportunity than leaving him out there on days when no one can touch him.

Maybe they just wanted the pitch count low before building it up over his next two starts. Oh well.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The guys calling the game on TV said that not all pitches had the same value, pitches thrown in "stressful" situations were weighted more heavily,
I don't have any more detail than that, just passing along their comment.

This is widely considered to be valid.  And, minor league innings are far less stressful than big league innings, too.

Offline 1995hoo

I heard that, and it makes sense but I would have preferred to read a quote from a Nationals official. ....

Everything I've read indicates the Nationals are erring on the side of caution in terms of being as noncommittal as possible about how they are handling Strasburg. I believe part of the reason has to do with concern about not admitting that they're holding him to avoid the "Super 2" thing. While everyone (including Strasburg) knows that's what they're doing, they can't come out and say it because the union would accuse them of collusion or something of that sort. While this doesn't directly address why he threw only 52 pitches, it does help explain why the Nationals try not to comment on any of these issues at all—the more you say, the more chance there is to slip up and say something you weren't supposed to say.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
They also have to decide whose (not "hoos"   :lol:) spot in the rotation he will take.  Until that decision is made, his start date can't be nailed down.  Both Atilano and Stammen rebounded from their previous sucky outings will solid ones, but Olsen is increasingly unlikely to be available soon.  Who knows how JD Martin will pitch this Saturday?  

All these are considered in picking the best slot for bringing him up.