Author Topic: National League Division Series, Game 3  (Read 64418 times)

Offline porculator

Re: National League Division Series, Game 3
« Reply #750: October 10, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
I'm new here but have to call a lot of you guys out anyway.

Anyone proclaiming that the team isn't giving the effort or isn't "in the game" is full of crap.

First of all, they're all well aware of the magnitude of everything.  They may not know how to handle it because very few of them have been here before.

Second, what the hell does it even mean to "ball out" or any other cliche in baseball?  Swing harder?  Throw harder?  Look at pitches harder?  Come on. 
Baseball is a game of averages, and the standings work their way to determine who is the best team throughout the year.  Really good teams crap the bed 2 out of 3 games all the time.  It's why 5 game series are terrible for determining who is a better team.

But doing anything differently than you did all regular season because these games mean more is just a recipe for disaster.  Refering to the individual, not the management, since obviosuly short series call for different management styles.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #751: October 10, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
A team lacking post-season experience.  In an elimination game.  Against the defending World Series Champs (and the NL's version of the Yankees).

YIKES.

Don't know how I'll handle tomorrow's game.

:|

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #752: October 10, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »

Anyone proclaiming that the team isn't giving the effort or isn't "in the game" is full of crap.

First of all, they're all well aware of the magnitude of everything.  They may not know how to handle it because very few of them have been here before.

Second, what the hell does it even mean to "ball out" or any other cliche in baseball?  Swing harder?  Throw harder?  Look at pitches harder?  Come on. 
Baseball is a game of averages, and the standings work their way to determine who is the best team throughout the year.  Really good teams crap the bed 2 out of 3 games all the time.  It's why 5 game series are terrible for determining who is a better team.

But doing anything differently than you did all regular season because these games mean more is just a recipe for disaster.  Refering to the individual, not the management, since obviosuly short series call for different management styles.

:nts:

Offline BerakosVA

« Reply #753: October 10, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
he did start Jackson

and start who?!??!

Offline madj55

« Reply #754: October 10, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »

Ball out means to play well, and clearly the Nats are playing like crap. It's not a cliche. Come on.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #755: October 10, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »

Agreed.

I think this is due to nervousness as much as anything else.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #756: October 10, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
A team lacking post-season experience.  In an elimination game.  Against the defending World Series Champs (and the NL's version of the Yankees).

YIKES.

Don't know how I'll handle tomorrow's game.

I'm going to be traveling for work tomorrow and may or may not be home by game time.  Not looking forward to that.

« Reply #757: October 10, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
Bottom line. If you don't score, you can't win.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #758: October 10, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
What a farce of a season. Can't believe it ends like this. :(

Then I've got good news for you. Even if they fail to make a comeback tonight there will still be at least one more game tomorrow  ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #759: October 10, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »

I partially agree.  I don't think the team lacks effort, I think they lack experience.  But we can't treat tomorrow like "any other game" - it's an elimination game and all hands must be on deck.

And I disagree with your five-game series notion.  A novice watching these games can see that right ow the Cardinals are the better team.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #760: October 10, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
and start who?!??!

I think you could have made a very strong case to start Detwiler in this game.

Offline BerakosVA

« Reply #761: October 10, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
Can we please bring back Carp and FP

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #762: October 10, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
We're one Edwin pitch and one Morse swing away from this being more interesting, and probably more painful

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #763: October 10, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »
Can we please bring back Carp and FP

Make ya miss 'em, doesn't it?

Offline BerakosVA

« Reply #764: October 10, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »

Easy to say when edwin struggled today, but detwillers last game vs cards was pretty bad too

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #765: October 10, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »

this

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #766: October 10, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
Easy to say when edwin struggled today, but detwillers last game vs cards was pretty bad too

If you'd have asked before the game, I could have made a very strong case.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #767: October 10, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »
:nts:

DPM, if you have something to add, please do.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #768: October 10, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »
DPM, if you have something to add, please do.

Nah, I just got a kick out of the post.  Maybe that was the wrong emoticon...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #769: October 10, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »
Bandwagon fans are retarded.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #770: October 10, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »
We're one Edwin pitch and one Morse swing away from this being more interesting, and probably more painful

And one Tyler Moore bloop pinch-hit from being swept.

Offline porculator

« Reply #771: October 10, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
I partially agree.  I don't think the team lacks effort, I think they lack experience.  But we can't treat tomorrow like "any other game" - it's an elimination game and all hands must be on deck.

And I disagree with your five-game series notion.  A novice watching these games can see that right ow the Cardinals are the better team.

Right.  The game should be managed accordingly, but not played any differently.

My point is, there should be no difference between a players approach in the batters box, on the mound, in the field, tomorrow, than at any other time.

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #772: October 10, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
LOL announcers comparing Jon Jay's catch to Willie Mays's

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #773: October 10, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
Mattheus joining in the fun.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #774: October 10, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »

There's are a few posts around the forum that explain it better than I could, but basically some people vent as a coping mechanism.  Not much to make of it, honestly, but it really bothers some folks around here to the point that they don't participate in game threads.

And yet if someone says they're going to stop watching rather than hang around and vent, they get all kinds of crap for not being a fan...