Author Topic: Nationals vs Reds, Game 1  (Read 15160 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Nationals vs Reds, Game 1
« Reply #300: June 10, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
Bumgarner has been sick, but he's still at high A.  At least we know Rosswiler can get it done at a higher level.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #301: June 10, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »
and in my book 6 innings, 3 earned runs is a quality start. 

You must be under 25 years old.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #302: June 10, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »
Bumgarner has been sick, but he's still at high A.  At least we know Rosswiler can get it done at a higher level.

He's actually in AA right now. He has put up better numbers than Detwiler at that level. 1.86 ERA and 29/8 K/BB ratio. He probably would be better right now in the big leagues. But, I won't complain because Detwiler has reached the big leagues and is a successful pick.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #303: June 10, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »

I thought that was sportsfan's schtick, not hammonds?

and besides, you forgot "or a former Oriole" ;)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #304: June 10, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »

i'm 25 years old.  and i have my opinion and i'm sticking to it, so back off.  if our offense didn't leave that many RISP, we would've won the game. 

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #305: June 10, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
Was at the game last night.  Some thoughts.  Detwiler pitched well until the sixth when he made a few mistakes that determined the game.  He is improving with every start in my eyes and was able to just blow it by most of the lineup (it is the Reds afterall).  I will have to check his WHIFF%, but he is really making guys miss with some of his pitches.  I was sitting behind Dukes in RF and he is a very alert fielder out there and that one catch against the wall showcased his athletic ability.  The home run was nice too.

The double plays we grounded into were killer and I can't believe they left Zimm stranded after that one double.  Kearns.... god, I hate that guy.  I can't wait until he is off the team and it is unbelievable that Manny keeps trotting him out there to pinch hit.

Also, Willy Taveras is a douchebag.  Some fans were yelling at him and he actually turned around to try to taunt him (the usher made the fans stop yelling at him :?).  He just climbed his way up my most hated list along with Jeff Francouer.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #306: June 10, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »
He probably would not have been a first round draft pick for other organizations though.

Weak book...
what? he was a consensus top 10 pick that year.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #307: June 10, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »
i'm 25 years old.  and i have my opinion and i'm sticking to it, so back off. 

Hey man...whatever's clever.  You just have a very low standard of "quality" is all.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #308: June 10, 2009, 02:21:47 PM »
Hey man...whatever's clever.  You just have a very low standard of "quality" is all.

we're a freaking last place team, i'll take whatever gives us a chance to win.  it's better than the likes of levale speigner coming in and giving up 6 runs every outing. 

Online blue911

« Reply #309: June 10, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »
we're a freaking last place team, i'll take whatever gives us a chance to win.  it's better than the likes of levale speigner coming in and giving up 6 runs every outing. 

Speigner had a higher % of "quality" starts than Daniel Cabrera. Maybe you meant Daniel Cabrera and your keyboard is sticking.  :stir: :halo:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #310: June 10, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »
we're a freaking last place team, i'll take whatever gives us a chance to win.

So you're suggesting that the "quality start" should be on an individualized basis?   :rofl:

Or rather, suggesting that a "quality start" should be considered "anything that puts a team in a position to win?"    :rofl:

You're the one who pointed out what a quality start is, not me.  I'm suggesting it's a stupid stat since a pitcher doesn't really have to be all that effective to earn a QS.  So, as I said, your standard of "quality" is lower than mine.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #311: June 10, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »
Speigner had a higher % of "quality" starts than Daniel Cabrera. Maybe you meant Daniel Cabrera and your keyboard is sticking.  :stir: :halo:

i was just using speigner as an example.  you can throw daniel cabrera, jerome williams, etc.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #312: June 10, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
So you're suggesting that the "quality start" should be on an individualized basis?   :rofl:

Or rather, suggesting that a "quality start" should be considered "anything that puts a team in a position to win?"    :rofl:

You're the one who pointed out what a quality start is, not me.  I'm suggesting it's a stupid stat since a pitcher doesn't really have to be all that effective to earn a QS.  So, as I said, your standard of "quality" is lower than mine.

you seem like to laugh at yourself a lot. 

i'm okay with the standard 6 ip - 3 er as going down as a quality start.  we all have our different opinion, but a lot of baseball people go by this.

ron dibble doesn't like the current term of QS, b/c he says in some cases (like zimmermann vs. dodgers, stammen vs. mets) if a pitcher gives up 5 runs in one inning and settles down the rest of the way it should be considered a QS.  I don't agree with that. 

Online blue911

« Reply #313: June 10, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
i was just using speigner as an example.  you can throw daniel cabrera, jerome williams, etc.

I threw in that Detwiler didn't have a quality start. You want to call it so, not me. Apparently, you think the bullpen should be counted on to throw 500 innings. I don't.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #314: June 10, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »
I threw in that Detwiler didn't have a quality start. You want to call it so, not me. Apparently, you think the bullpen should be counted on to throw 500 innings. I don't.
don't let the fact that our offense blows alter your opinion of a starting performance. Giving up 3 runs in 6 innings gave us a chance. That is all that matters. You can't expect to win a game 2-1 every night. The onus is on the offense.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #315: June 10, 2009, 02:51:42 PM »

good god of course the ideal situation is going 7-8 innings.  the kid is still young - not even 10 starts deep in his career - and if you go by what a lot of baseball people do ... then it's a quality start. 

Online blue911

« Reply #316: June 10, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »
good god of course the ideal situation is going 7-8 innings.  the kid is still young - not even 10 starts deep in his career - and if you go by what a lot of baseball people do ... then it's a quality start. 

500 innings out of your bullpen is 250 too many. The problem with baseball (not just the Nats) is starting pitchers aren't pushed to throw enough inning. Nobody in a GM position wants to watch the Kip Wells of the world work any innings. Like I said, you are willing to consider those 250 innings as somehow unimportant, I don't.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #317: June 10, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »
:rofl: What?  Detwiler was a top 10 talent entering the 2007 draft...

Yeah you're absolutely right. I actually meant that he probably would not have been drafted that high in the first round.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #318: June 10, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »
Quality Start is a bogus stat.  A pitcher's job is to give the team a chance to win, it is up to the offense to win the games.  What it means "to give the team a chance to win" changes on a nightly basis and with the team they are playing.  I agree somewhat with Dibble's line of thinking in regards to Zimmermann's start against the Dodgers.  If Zimmermannn had been knocked out in the third inning or earlier, then the bullpen would have had to have pitched the majority of the game and we would have surely lost.  Instead, Zimmermann clamped down while the Nats crawled back.