Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97435 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #400: September 02, 2010, 11:08:59 PM »
Are they any good?  I've thought of buying some.  I've got a little Melitta pour-over that I use at work but it's just so damn messy.  I've thought about breaking down and buying another Bunn for work, the one I have at home is awesome.

one of my buddies brought a small french press on our last trip, he ground some beans before we left, we boiled water on the camp stove, and then we ran it through the press.  the coffee was fantastic.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #401: September 02, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »
Way cool. 

I did my Boy Scouts Webelos thing in Bangkok when I was a kid...we camped out in an expat den mum's yard with tents and campfires and s'mores and all that, and then the frigging monsoon hit at about 2 a.m. and we were afloat with craploads of swimming poisonous snakes by 3:00.  It was awesome...caught a green pit viper, a banded krait, AND a cobra that night.  Den mum just about died.

Hmmm, I took a cub scout outdoor leadership course a few weeks ago (I'm a webelos leader).  Here's a whole slew of resources:
http://www.scouter.com/compass/Scout_Skills/Cooking/

and

http://macscouter.com/cooking/

If you have a cast-iron crockpot you can eat well for several days.  Our favorite recipe is camp cobbler - take the pot, throw a can of fruit in there (pineapple or apples works well), dump in a box of yellow cake mix, then cover it with a stick of butter sliced into pats. Throw the whole thing on a fire for about 45 minutes (covered) and mix.  It's wonderful.

Online imref

« Reply #402: September 03, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »
that's awesome, here in this part of the country the only thing you catch is mosquitos. :-)

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #403: September 03, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like we will be eating well this weekend.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #404: September 03, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like we will be eating well this weekend.

Too late for this trip, but Outdoor Magazine has a 4-part series of articles on backcountry cooking.  They also probably have tons more over the years, but this is a start.  Some recipes by well known chefs also.

http://outsideonline.com/outside/environment/199607/199607camp_cooking_1.html?rf_region_dd=6&rf_state_dd=&price=4

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #405: September 16, 2010, 11:20:05 PM »
Hummus is tasty.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #406: September 16, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
Hummus is tasty.
However, the hummus I am currently eating is not.  :'(

Online imref

« Reply #407: September 17, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »
after watching a bunch of rick bayless shows i've done a lot of experimenting with guacamole, my current favorite is this:

- roast 1-2 serrano chili peppers, 4 cloves of garlic, and 1 roma tomatoes under the broiler until the skin of the peppers is black (usually takes about 3-5 minutes per side)
- remove skin from peppers and tomato and chop (remove seeds from chili's if you want to keep the heat down, wear gloves if you wear contacts as the oil from the peppers will ruin your day)
- mash 3-4 Haas avocados (must be ripe, if not, put in a brown bag overnight with a tomato)
- add about a cup of chopped white onion
- add about a cup of chopped cilantro
- add about a teaspoon of salt (or more if you like)
- add juice of one lime
- add peppers, garlic, tomato
- mix

let it sit for about 30 minutes for flavors to meld, then eat with organic blue corn tortilla chips.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #408: September 17, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »
i dont even know if you have to do all that. avocados, salt, and lime is all you (or I) need.

there are some deals to be had at some of the stores in the florida ave market. avocados $.89 each. limes 10 or 8 for a dollar.  you could eat guacamole all day and not go bankrupt. might have to go there early to get the good avocados though. the one time i bought them was in the afternoon and they werent ripe yet and some parts of them were rock hard.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #409: September 17, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
for all you pho phreaks out there.. you might consider it an abomination but....the pho dog at the h st festival

http://frozentropics.blogspot.com/2010/09/festival-2010-toki-underground.html#comments

oh yeah. in other outdoor food (truck) news

http://dcra.dc.gov/DC/DCRA/For+Business/2010+Curbside+Cookoff

if any of you ever see the sauca food truck, you need to eat something from it. i had the vietnamese pork

Online imref

« Reply #410: September 17, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
i dont even know if you have to do all that. avocados, salt, and lime is all you (or I) need.

there are some deals to be had at some of the stores in the florida ave market. avocados $.89 each. limes 10 or 8 for a dollar.  you could eat guacamole all day and not go bankrupt. might have to go there early to get the good avocados though. the one time i bought them was in the afternoon and they werent ripe yet and some parts of them were rock hard.

i'm in western PWC, so that would be a hike, but yeah, Avacados out here are going for 3 for $5.00

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #411: September 17, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »

Ripe avacados bruise too easily to ship.  Plan on holding them a couple of days before you can use them.

• babble on
« Reply #412: September 18, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
I could live off of guac

Online imref

« Reply #413: September 18, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
I could live off of guac

i just polished off a package of wholly guacamole, was too lazy to make my own.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #414: September 21, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »
"Tuna salad" in a whole wheat pita.  Awesome.

I take a can of tuna, drain, add some olive oil, garlic, chopped olives, and capers.  Much better than the cat food + mayonnaise variety.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #415: September 22, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »
The best part about deer season is deer jerky.  I'd almost consider going to get a hunting permit just so I could make a crap load of deer jerky to have for the year.  The stuff is so good.

• babble on
« Reply #416: September 23, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
Good call.  Capers, garlic, and olive oil are our friends.

"Tuna salad" in a whole wheat pita.  Awesome.

I take a can of tuna, drain, add some olive oil, garlic, chopped olives, and capers.  Much better than the cat food + mayonnaise variety.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #417: September 24, 2010, 03:54:31 PM »
My problem is I love fresh tuna, but HATE canned tuna.

Online imref

« Reply #418: September 24, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
the stuff in the pouches is better than the stuff in the cans, I believe it's because the canned stuff is over-cooked to kill any bacteria.  Solid white in the pouch is pretty good (in water).

Online imref

« Reply #419: September 24, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »
I tried making Pork Tinga today in the slow cooker, the house smells amazing, the pork came out pretty good.

2 pork loins diced and browned
1 lb raw chorizo crumbled
2 cans of tomatoes (14 oz)
2-4 chipotles, chopped
2 tsps of the chipotle liquid
1 tbsp of mexican oregano (or regular if that's all you have)
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced

Throw everything in a slow cooker, cook for 4 hours, serve with rice or corn tortillas as a taco filling (the pork will fall apart).  Guac is a good condiment.

The recipe also said to put 4-6 red-skin potatoes in the pot too, but I omitted them as I didn't have any and made a side of white rice.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #420: September 28, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »
i just polished off a package of wholly guacamole, was too lazy to make my own.
That stuff is pretty good, actually. I like the singles because you can eat it all in one sitting.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #421: September 28, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
I like the 16oz pack, because you can eat it all in one sitting.

That stuff is pretty good, actually. I like the singles because you can eat it all in one sitting.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #422: September 28, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
I like the 16oz pack, because you can eat it all in one sitting.

It's all good!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #423: September 28, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »
I've been eating a tuna sandwich and two scrambled egg sandwiches every day almost exclusively for the past two-ish months. Low calories and very little fat, yet lots of protein so I don't have to worry about losing muscle mass.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #424: September 28, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
Eggs are awesome.  I eat hard boiled eggs everyday as a snack.  Little salt and pepper and you're good to go.