Author Topic: Bowden - Don't expect any trades  (Read 1954 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Bowden - Don't expect any trades
« Topic Start: July 28, 2005, 07:42:58 PM »
Bowden's weekly column in the Examiner.

For Nats, answers will come from within
By Jim Bowden
Published: Thursday, July 28, 2005 12:01 AM EDT
E-mail this story | Print this page

Washington Nationals General Manager

All fans like trades. Trades are sexy and fun and bring hope. We've had discussions with almost every club in the last 72 hours. But sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

That might be the case as the trading deadline comes up Sunday at 4 p.m.

Our plan is not to trade all of our top prospects in the minors. The plan is to build the franchise to win year after year. The only way we'll trade a top prospect is if we get a No. 1 or No. 2 pitcher who would make a major difference in our chances of winning the World Series.

And we really missed Nick Johnson when he was gone, Preston Wilson will add support and Vinny Castilla was hampered with bad knees. His knees are getting better and hopefully he'll get back to driving in runs. The offense will have to come from within, because it's unrealistic to think you'll acquire the type of impact bat that's better than what we have.

It's not going to happen.

Meantime, we have to understand the formula that has won. It's important to realize that when we were on pace to win 100 games on July 4th, we did it with tremendous pitching and defense.

Since the All-Star break our defense has suffered because of injuries. Wednesday night was the first time all year we've had our best starting eight on the field at the same time. Nick was on the disabled list, Vinny wasn't playing because of bad knees.

And because Cristian Guzman wasn't hitting we had to sub for him at short. Brad Wilkerson went from center to first and all of a sudden 50 percent of our position players weren't in the lineup or were out of position.

Instead of winning one-run games we went into last night having lost seven straight one-run games. Don't point to the offense or the bullpen as the cause. Rather than giving the other team 27 outs, in the last three weeks we've given them 32 because we didn't make plays or committed errors that we didn't make in the first half.

Some would say we overachieved in the first half, but I say we underachieved because most position players who are capable of hitting have had subpar years. So I would expect people like Wilkerson, Jose Vidro and Guzman to have good second halves.

When we traded for Preston, we felt he was capable of 30 homers and 100 RBIs. That's what he's done in the past. He'll continue to do that. When we made the deal we discussed with manager Frank Robinson what it meant to our club. Jose Guillen would play right, Preston left and Brad center with Ryan Church as the fourth outfielder and Marlon Byrd as the fifth. The plan is for the vets to play the second half. That gives us the best chance to win and score runs.

So even if we can't make a trade, we have as good a chance at winning the division as anyone else.

Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden provides an exclusive column to The Examiner each week, ranging on topics from the Nats to the state of Major League Baseball.

As told to Examiner correspondent John Keim.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #1: July 28, 2005, 08:43:07 PM »
I think I'll move into the same Twilight Zone Dream Land Jim Bowden lives in, because obviously he's seeing a completely different baseball team from the one I (and everyone with eyes) have been forced to watch over the past three weeks.

I'm looking forward to moving into the new dream neighborhood where life is so much much better. I'm gonna give Jim a call and ask him if I need to bring my own rose colored glasses, or if they are supplied in the dream world I'll be moving into... I sure hope they come free, because I'm guessing the mortgages in Dream Land will be astronomical...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: July 28, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »
My guess this article by Jimbo was written before he left D.C. and before even one game in the Braves series was played. If he does nothing to improve the team, he should resign and take all his Cincinnati cronies with him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: July 28, 2005, 11:55:51 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
My guess this article by Jimbo was written before he left D.C. and before even one game in the Braves series was played. If he does nothing to improve the team, he should resign and take all his Cincinnati cronies with him.

get rid of bowden after all the things hes done for this team? i like bowden, keep him.

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

« Reply #4: July 29, 2005, 09:01:41 AM »
I like Bowden too for the most part. I have to belive this was written before the start of this road trip.  I would think that Bowden wants to KEEP his job when the new owners arrive.

IT very well may be that there just ISNT a bat out there that is worth more than what we already have, or isnt what we want for what we have to offer in return.  I would think guys like Guzman, and Vidro, that thier value on the trade market really isnt going to bring much in return given the seasons they have had. (Guzman - n ot hitting for squat... and Vidro half the season on the DL)

I really cant belive anything else because I think if there were an opportuntity for Bowden to make a move that was going to get us something BETTER than what we have, he would do it.    I think perhaps at best he is trying just to put some sort of spin on those very facts.  I think he very well may be handcuffed and just doesnt want to publicly admit it, because if he does, hes admitting to any other club, and his own players and fans, that what he HAS in his hand ISNT that great as is, and thats not a message I think he wants to send to his own players, to Nationals fans, nor any  possible club we might make any given deal with.

IM not happy with the current lineup or situation  either, in fact I really dislike parts of it, but I also dont think that Bowden is this far in denial and / or just this plain blind/ stupid.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: July 29, 2005, 11:30:54 AM »
bowden probably has been trying to make trades to improve this team. FR said recently that hes sticking to Guzman for now, and i doubt Bowden has gotten any offers for Guzman, even anyone else who hes willing to trade. he said that hed only do it if he could get a #1 or #2 starter (i dont think we need a starter, but a new SS). i, as much as everyone else here, want Guzman gone. its not so easy to trade a player who isnt gold-glove material, cant hit, and has a salary too high for the player.

he wants to build the team from within from prospects, it doesnt come so easy.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: July 29, 2005, 11:49:27 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
get rid of bowden after all the things hes done for this team? i like bowden, keep him.

I don't think any general manager who allows his team to go from 19 games over .500 and 5? games up to become a laughable also ran, should be able to keep his job. If Bowden doesn't do anything to improve the problem at SS, and improve the rotation, IMO, he should he sent home with his tail between his legs.

Thing is though, because of how close MLB is to finally picking an owner and selling the team (mid to late August according to Bud Selig during yesterday's 5-4 loss in Atlanta) MLB will let the new owners decide what to do with Bowden and his buddies...

Montcobaseball

« Reply #7: July 29, 2005, 02:09:32 PM »
Bowden should stay off tv with his bizarre "this team has the personnel to win the World Series" line and his stupid laugh and stay in his office and figure out he can get better players or convince Robinson to bench Guzman.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: July 29, 2005, 05:51:13 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

I don't think any general manager who allows his team to go from 19 games over .500 and 5? games up to become a laughable also ran, should be able to keep his job.

so its bowden's fault for the team's slump? he said that he wants to add a pitcher, but its not as easy as it looks. i doubt there have been any offers for Guzman. he doesnt want to trade the prospects.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #9: July 29, 2005, 06:39:02 PM »
so its bowden's fault for the team's slump? he said that he wants to add a pitcher, but its not as easy as it looks. i doubt there have been any offers for Guzman. he doesnt want to trade the prospects.

I agree with the idea out there not to trade our future away for this season.  We have so few good prospects...it makes no sense to trade them off and hamper our new owners when they arrive next year.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #10: July 29, 2005, 06:39:22 PM »
I will repeat myself... Jim Bowden does NOT have the balls to make any kind of impact deal. He's afraid that (imaginary) chemistry will disappear. The best chemistry for any team is winning, the Nats haven't had any for three weeks... I don't really care if he trades Guzman or not, I just want him to IMPROVE the offense. When you have 4 and 5 games game in game out NOT producing, Frank Robinson cant jump in and take their place, although I think he would do better that Guzman if he did. The GM is the ONE PERSON responsible for the product (or lack thereof) on the field. He's trying to sell Nats fans a basket of rotten food, and I don't care who disagrees with my opinion, I wont shutup, or stop complaining.

Even though the team (hockey) hear has 4 championships over the past several years, every time (without fail) that the GM used the term, "Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make" the team either went out fast in the playoffs or never got there at all... The ONLY times the team improved was when the GM showed he had balls.