Author Topic: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 3  (Read 12287 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 3
« Reply #225: August 24, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »
maybe we should move the team to philly, we seem to play better in front of their fans.

Give it up already Stan. You were bought out and sent packing but your shameful legacy lives on like thunderbird hang over.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #226: August 24, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »
What a crapshow. freak Gomes and Nix

what the hell? they both homered...

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #227: August 24, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
:rofl:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #228: August 24, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
Those were meaningless!!!!!  :whip:

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #229: August 25, 2011, 04:43:53 AM »
Lost a game to the Marlins and Mets who both won last night.  We have a series against the Reds coming up.  The Marlins face the Phillies and the Mets face the Braves.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #230: August 25, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »
Announced attendance last night was 17,881, actually 852 higher than the previous night with its quake/Metro issues...must have been quite a few STH no-shows (among them, neither of my regular seat-mates turned up) since it didn't look like that big a turn-out once the match began (although I did see a fairly good-sized queue at the walk-up window when I got to the ballpark).

We'll really have a thin crowd tonight, with the weather combined with going up against the Ravens-Redskins pre-season match (the Nats dropping back-to-backs doesn't help either)...I could even see a new season-record low tonight (this year's record thus far is 13,413 vs Phillies on Tuesday 12th April - and we haven't broken 20k in this series yet, even with Monday's dollar-dog promo).

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #231: August 25, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »

:picard:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #232: August 25, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
Those were meaningless!!!!!  :whip:

quite true.  In fact, every run scored in a losing effort is meaningless.  Also, every run scored in a win that is more than 1 run above the opponent's total is meaningless as well.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #233: August 25, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »
@tomterp on the last part, not necessarily true because the margin can affect strategy in game.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #234: August 25, 2011, 10:28:43 AM »
@tomterp on the last part, not necessarily true because the margin can affect strategy in game.

It's an interesting point. Obviously a walk off grand slam to win by 4 is no better than winning by 1 (except from an individual player's or gambler's perspective.) However, while seemingly useless beyond the psychological lift of finally scoring, the bombs hit by Nix and Gomes could still have an impact. The situation changed pushing Gibson to bring in Putz. Yes, in this case, he was warmed up anyway, and was likely (as it turned out anyway) to be finished within a couple of pitches. But the same type of situation in the future could create a situation where the closer needs to come in and work an extra day than expected. And while that wouldn't necessarily change the outcome of the current game, it could impact availability, performance, and outcome of subsequent games.

It's a classic case of, "you never know."

It's sort of like the case where Gomes's bobbled ball allowed Upton to score without a play. He may have scored anyway. And even if he was held at 3B, people look at the subsequent hit and say he would have scored their anyway too. But you never know. Perhaps the pitching and the approach at the plate are different there if he is at 3B, and the result is different. Every play made or not has some potential impact. And you don't want to not score runs simply because they don't impact the final outcome.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #235: August 25, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »
quite true.  In fact, every run scored in a losing effort is meaningless.  Also, every run scored in a win that is more than 1 run above the opponent's total is meaningless as well.

Sarcasm alert (for pats) :lol:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #236: August 25, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Sarcasm alert (for pats) :lol:

I had thought it was sarcasm until I saw the second part.