Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Watch  (Read 100382 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Reply #1075: July 03, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »
Stephen Strasburg was awarded both the Dick Howser National Player of the Year trophy and National Pitcher of the Year honors at at the inaugural College Baseball Foundation Awards Show at United Spirit Arena here Thursday night.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090703&content_id=5670448&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1076: July 03, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »
lol japan talk now.

all i know is the nats have to sign strasburg.  i don't want the top two draft picks in next year's draft, b/c if we can't sign our top pick for the 2nd year in a row, what makes any of you think we'll be able to sign #1 and #2 next year.

it's a must to sign stephen.  maybe if our major league product wasn't so bad, we wouldn't have to be this desperate. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1077: July 03, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
We're not desperate.  Pitching isn't really our weakness, at least not starting pitching.  It would be a PR nightmare for sure, but It would be a PR nightmare, but we can't be Boras' play toy either.  I don't really know where this idea that the future of the Nats rests squarely on the shoulders of SS came from.  He might be a big piece of the puzzle and I'd love to have him here, but we can win without him, espcially if he's going to hamstring the organization for the next couple of years, there are better ways to spent 30 mil.  Ultimately, it's Strasburg who has to give the green light to going to Japan.  If he doesnt' want to go, he won't, Boras will float the ideas to keep the Lerners and Kasten scared, but if SS doesn't want to go, he'll end up here.  We don't have to be desperate for this kid.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1078: July 03, 2009, 11:17:15 AM »
We're not desperate.  Pitching isn't really our weakness, at least not starting pitching.  It would be a PR nightmare for sure, but It would be a PR nightmare, but we can't be Boras' play toy either.  I don't really know where this idea that the future of the Nats rests squarely on the shoulders of SS came from.  He might be a big piece of the puzzle and I'd love to have him here, but we can win without him, espcially if he's going to hamstring the organization for the next couple of years, there are better ways to spent 30 mil.  Ultimately, it's Strasburg who has to give the green light to going to Japan.  If he doesnt' want to go, he won't, Boras will float the ideas to keep the Lerners and Kasten scared, but if SS doesn't want to go, he'll end up here.  We don't have to be desperate for this kid.

i'm not saying he's a hall of famer like some idiot o's fans are calling for wieters to have a spot reserved, but our whole "plan" is based on building our organization up via draft picks ... well it'd mark the second year of failing to land our top guy.  you ask me that's pathetic.

and we're looking for a very, very strong piece that can help at the major league level and imo, we're desperate in trying to find it.  sure the two Z's, lannan and dunn are all great pieces, but strasburg would be another to help us inch towards respectability. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1079: July 03, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
i'm not saying he's a hall of famer like some idiot o's fans are calling for wieters to have a spot reserved, but our whole "plan" is based on building our organization up via draft picks ... well it'd mark the second year of failing to land our top guy.  you ask me that's pathetic.

and we're looking for a very, very strong piece that can help at the major league level and imo, we're desperate in trying to find it.  sure the two Z's, lannan and dunn are all great pieces, but strasburg would be another to help us inch towards respectability.  

You would seriously advocate giving one kid nearly 5 times more than any other player received in history?  Having never thrown one professional pitch?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1080: July 03, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »
You would seriously advocate giving one kid nearly 5 times more than any other player received in history?  Having never thrown one professional pitch?

HE'S NOT GOING TO GET 50 MILLION DOLLARS.  JUST LIKE TEIX WASN'T GOING TO GET $200+.

Offline zoom

« Reply #1081: July 03, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »
I really hope Crow signs soon and for less than the Nats had on the table.  While Boras can try to blow up the draft process, SS will have history as an example of how stupid it is to sit out a year.  All indications are that he will be dealing with the same organization next year (if he doesn't sign) as we will have the #1 and 2 picks and he'll have an additional year to wait for FA. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1082: July 03, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
HE'S NOT GOING TO GET 50 MILLION DOLLARS.  JUST LIKE TEIX WASN'T GOING TO GET $200+.

THAT MAY BE SO.  AND YOU CAN SCREAM IN ALL CAPS.  BUT RIGHT NOW, THAT'S THE GOING PRICE AND SCOTT BORAS IS WILLING TO MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THIS KID.

If you'd remove your LAC glasses for a moment, you'd see what's actually going on.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1083: July 03, 2009, 01:06:48 PM »
Here's the thing about Stras.

Lets say we don't sign him next year. So we get pick 1B in the 2010 draft.

So Boras is going to make the kid lose tons of money and fall to pick 3 next year? Do you really think Stras and his family would allow all that money on the table to just go to waste?

Unless he thinks he's going to take the kid to Japan and let him be posted next year... I just don't get the guys plan.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1084: July 03, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »
THAT MAY BE SO.  AND YOU CAN SCREAM IN ALL CAPS.  BUT RIGHT NOW, THAT'S THE GOING PRICE AND SCOTT BORAS IS WILLING TO MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THIS KID.

If you'd remove your LAC glasses for a moment, you'd see what's actually going on.

hey you know ... here's one thing nats fans can look forward to over the upcoming years ... draft a player, dream of how he will fit in with our club and one day help make us a winner, and then fail to sign him ... but it's okay the next year we get another first round pick and fail to sign him.  the cycle.  

we have to sign strasburg, no denying that. 

Offline Natskins

« Reply #1085: July 03, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »

Lets say we don't sign him next year. So we get pick 1B in the 2010 draft.

So Boras is going to make the kid lose tons of money and fall to pick 3 next year? Do you really think Stras and his family would allow all that money on the table to just go to waste?

Unless he thinks he's going to take the kid to Japan and let him be posted next year... I just don't get the guys plan.

Boras wants to find a way to make Strasburg exempt from the draft. This morning's story in the Post does a pretty good job of explaining Boras' possible strategy. I have no idea if it'll work, but clearly Boras has a plan to try and beat the system, and Strasburg is his guinea pig.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1086: July 03, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »
hey you know ... here's one thing nats fans can look forward to over the upcoming years ... draft a player, dream of how he will fit in with our club and one day help make us a winner, and then fail to sign him ... but it's okay the next year we get another first round pick and fail to sign him.  the cycle. 

we have to sign strasburg, no denying that. 

I don't disagree with the need for a pitcher of Strasburg's capabilities.  But I can't say that I'm comfortable with Boras using this franchise to take on the MLB drafting system.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1087: July 03, 2009, 01:30:58 PM »
I don't disagree with the need for a pitcher of Strasburg's capabilities.  But I can't say that I'm comfortable with Boras using this franchise to take on the MLB drafting system.

boras is an ass and he always has been.  i'd say he/strasburg have the upper hand - knowing that our club needs to make a splash and needs a talent of stephen's caliber - and he knows that.  at the same time, he's caught some heat b/c of the high number of his clients using illegal stimulants/substances and if all the reports are true - that the lerner family really did make a good impression in the teix sweepstakes - then hopefully we can get a deal done.

i think we will get him signed and we can all take a deep breath.  until then we will all have to bite our finger nails and wait. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1088: July 03, 2009, 01:32:08 PM »
Boras wants to find a way to make Strasburg exempt from the draft. This morning's story in the Post does a pretty good job of explaining Boras' possible strategy. I have no idea if it'll work, but clearly Boras has a plan to try and beat the system, and Strasburg is his guinea pig.

Can you link me to that article?

Offline blue911

« Reply #1089: July 03, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »
Can you link me to that article?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/02/AR2009070201804.html

I would highly recommend reading Robert Whiting's books on professional baseball in Japan. It's an entirely different world where the managers are usually higher paid than the players.

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #1090: July 03, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
The deadline is about six weeks away.  Stras isn't going back to college and he won't go to Japan.  Didn't Boras rip the quality of play in Japan when he was talking about Stras?

Stras will sign for about $20 mill but the Nationals would be stupid to give him a major league contract.  That will rush his development.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1091: July 03, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
Let him rot in Japan then.

If you trust a mad man to your finances, then you deserve what you get.

I'm not even convinced Stras is worth it... even more so with Boras on his side.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #1092: July 03, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »
The deadline is about six weeks away.  Stras isn't going back to college and he won't go to Japan.  Didn't Boras rip the quality of play in Japan when he was talking about Stras?

Stras will sign for about $20 mill but the Nationals would be stupid to give him a major league contract.  That will rush his development.

Why would they be stupid to give him a Major League contract? He will be ready in less than a year so that won't come to bite us.

Offline asindc

« Reply #1093: July 06, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
I agree with those who say Strasburg is not a "must" sign, especially if Bora$ sticks to $50 million demand (or anything close to that) and his threat to take his client to Japan.  If that is the case, I say, "see ya."  Unless I am mistaken, no Japanese club is going to pay him that amount, which makes it a huge risk to go there even for one year. 

To turn down (let's say) 15-20 million, or even 10 million, to play in Japan means Strasburg would have to pitch his ass off.  Not be average, or even above average, he would have to be outstanding to come back and make the same demands.  It would be a huge gamble.  So if he sticks to his 'plan B' and does go there after turning down 10-20 million, freak him.  The Nats and MLB will survive just nicely without him.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1094: July 06, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
Sorry, guys. Strasburg is still a must-sign.

He was a must-sign when we drafted him. Why isn't he now? The only thing that's passed is time. It's like when you meet a super hot chick and you want to ask her out, and you get some signals that if you did ask her out there is a 50/50 chance that she would say yes, and then she goes away on vacation for a month and while she's gone you sit around thinking, "Maybe she wasn't that super hot anyway. Maybe she was stuffing socks in her bras. Maybe she was arrogant and a bit of a jerk. Maybe she's using spray-on tanning. Blah blah blah" and then you start thinking, "Maybe she will really say no to me," and then you start thinking, "Maybe I just shouldn't ask her out." And you find yourself talked out of her even though she's still insanely hot and you still have a 50/50 chance.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1095: July 06, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
Sorry, guys. Strasburg is still a must-sign.

He was a must-sign when we drafted him. Why isn't he now? The only thing that's passed is time. It's like when you meet a super hot chick and you want to ask her out, and you get some signals that if you did ask her out there is a 50/50 chance that she would say yes, and then she goes away on vacation for a month and while she's gone you sit around thinking, "Maybe she wasn't that super hot anyway. Maybe she was stuffing socks in her bras. Maybe she was arrogant and a bit of a jerk. Maybe she's using spray-on tanning. Blah blah blah" and then you start thinking, "Maybe she will really say no to me," and then you start thinking, "Maybe I just shouldn't ask her out." And you find yourself talked out of her even though she's still insanely hot and you still have a 50/50 chance.

:clap: you had me at sorry guys ... totally agree.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1096: July 06, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
I guess it depends on whether or not you're trying to get the hot, arrogant chick for the long haul or for a one night stand.  If I'm going for the long haul, I want nothing to do with the arrogant one.  It's not worth the hassle and angst that comes along with that.  If we're in for the SS sweeps for the long haul, the question becomes is the hassle and high maintenance worth the trouble.  There have been a lot of incredibly talented players who have been all about me but got so involved with the individual stats that he brought down the rest of the team.  I don't know if he's like that, most reports would indicate he's not, but if he is, he's not worth it.  He's not a MUST sign.  It will not cripple the farm system or organization to not sign him.  It just won't.  But it probably will be a great boost and he's someone you should be able to build around.  He's a pull out all the stops kid, but he's not an organization wrecker if he doesn't.  We can't stoop to be a Boras pawn.

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #1097: July 06, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
He is a must sign in terms of morale and fan support.  Since morale and fan support is pretty low, signing Stras would really give morale and fan support a boost.

I don't buy this savior BS but if he becomes a solid 2nd starter for the Nationals, I would be happy. 

The Nationals are such a long way away from being a good team, one player alone won't turn things around by himself.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #1098: July 06, 2009, 06:21:31 PM »
My prediction is that he signs for 20-25 million bucks.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1099: July 06, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
My prediction is that he signs for 20-25 million bucks.

No way Lerner breaks the bank to that extent.  I'd say $15 mil tops.